Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

There's some great music on the FYC that wasn't on the OST, and even more that turned up on the blu ray in the background of special features, etc.  Hopefully a 2CD set will happen somehow, or a recording session leak

Some of this I brought last week cheap and half come via an Amazon giftcard for my birthday.

Star Trek Insurrection/First Contact/Best of Both Worlds expanded

Robin & Marian, The Last Crusade, Gettysburg

Individual tracks- The Last Valley, Zulu, Monte Walsh & High Road to China (John Barry), Princess Leia's Theme/UFO/Return of the Saint (Geoff Love), Battle of the River Plate (Easdale), Cruel Sea (Rawsthorne), Wind and the Lion/The Swarm (Suite), Boys from Brazil (Suite, Goldsmith).

I'm sure Star Trek Beyond will follow at some point once it comes out.

Finally finished purchasing all of the New York Rock & Roll Ensemble CDs, going together nicely with Michael Kamen's subsequent solo effort, aptly titled New York Rock. This band was really good. They drop in some Bach, a Hendrix cover, a cover of A Whiter Shade of Pale but the bulk of the material is their own version of 60's Rock and is really strong and enjoyable. It really is an ensemble that shares both the songwriting and lead vocal duties but Kamen fans will enjoy the fact that Kamen is the most prolific in both categories.

Of particular note to film score fans is the fact that not just one but two notable composers came from the band. Mark Snow, then known as Martin Fulterman played both Drums and Oboe in the band as well as taking on his share of the songwriting. One fascinating writing collaboration between Fulterman and Kamen was the song Beside You, sung by Kamen.  This was later brought back to life for the Kamen-scored film What Dreams May Come, this time with a new vocal by Mick Hucknell. Film score fans may also recognise both the name and sax-playing of David Sanborn on Kamen's solo album. They would later notably collaborate on the Lethal Weapon scores as well as on a saxophone concerto. Kamen fans check this stuff out if you haven't already!

WP_20160911_20_56_24_Pro.jpg

On 9/13/2016 at 3:43 PM, Jay said:

Ordered direct from La-La Land

32202.jpg   32057.jpg

And these arrived yesterday.

Seven's autograph came on a separate, second booklet included along with a sealed copy of the normal release

I've already opened Ferris Bueller and began listening, and it sounds great!  Art direction is really good and I skimmed the liner notes and they seem good too; Looking forward to reading them tonight.

Ivan the Terrible by Sergey Prokofiev (performed by the Russian State Symphony Orchestra and Symphonic Cappella conducted by Valeri Polyansky)

With these two last ones ordered on Amazon, my JW & Boston Pops CD collection is now COMPLETE.  :music:

p_426404.jpg

Pops By George: The Music of George Gershwin / Dichter, Williams, Boston Pops O (1990)

An American In Paris; Suite From Porgy & Bess; Selections From Girl Crazy; Rhapsody In Blue.

p_d115137.jpg

Prokofiev: Peter And The Wolf / Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suite / Moore, Williams, Boston Pops O (1984)

Peter And The Wolf, Op. 67 - A Musical Tale For Children (Narrator – Dudley Moore); Nutcracker Suite, Op. 71a: 1. Miniature Overture; 2. Characteristic Dances (March / Dance Of The Sugar-Plum Fairy / Russian Dance: Trepak / Arabian Dance / Chinese Dance / Dance Of The Reed-Pipes); 3. Waltz Of The Flowers.

Just ordered the original CDs of Raiders and Temple of Doom, already received Last Crusade last week. I already have the 1995 Extended Raiders CD + the 2008 Concord set.

The circle is now complete...

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « temple of doom williams japan »

I saw that Varese's re-issue of Jagged Edge had already sold out, but MovieMusic had copies left, so I ordered it along with another recent Barry expansion, and Silvestri's Captain America score which I've come to like over the years, and which was cheaper on their site than Amazon

jagged-edge.gif (285×285)   indecent-proposal.gif (285×285)   captainamericafirstavenger.gif (285×285)

I was about to buy it once during The Return of the King performance three years ago (in Dublin) but didn't have any cash on me at the time and they wouldn't accept cards. And it's a bit too expensive for what it is. But I guess I couldn't stop myself today.

Karol

Just pre-ordered three OST albums from Amazon

Michael Giacchino - Doctor Strange (November 18)

James Newton Howard - Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (Deluxe Edition) (November 18)

Michael Giacchino - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16)

It just look to me a little bit rushed!

Anyone comes from nowhere to score a Star Wars movie and paf, we buy his CD without watching the movie first?

I say patience.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Just pre-ordered three OST albums from Amazon

Michael Giacchino - Doctor Strange (November 18)

James Newton Howard - Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (Deluxe Edition) (November 18)

Michael Giacchino - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16)

Ha! I did exactly the same thing this morning on Amazon.

Sucks that the Doctor Strange CD is coming out so much later than the movie. I don't want to get my fill of it on Spotify first like I did with Star Trek Beyond.

46 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It just look to me a little bit rushed!

Anyone comes from nowhere to score a Star Wars movie and paf, we buy his CD without watching the movie first?

I say patience.

I buy every new album from my favorite artists (Williams, Horner, Giacchino, Goldsmith, Coheed, Weird Al) without hearing them first. 

Finally ordered this one.

p_88691942532.jpg

A Tribute to John Williams: An 80th Birthday Celebration (2012, Sony Classical, 88691942532, Compilation)

Sound the Bells!; Out to Sea / The Shark Cage Fugue from Jaws; Theme from Sabrina; March from 1941; Adventures on Earth from E.T.; Dartmoor, 1912 from War Horse; The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; Harry's Wondrous World from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone; Elegy for Cello and Orchestra; Going To School from Memoirs of a Geisha; The Mission Theme (Theme for NBC Nightly News); Theme from Schindler's List; The Adventure Continues from The Adventures of Tintin; Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars; Happy Birthday Variations [previously unreleased].

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Bought this today at HMV. It was in the classical music section.

collage.jpg

Karol

Really? Where was that, Bond St?

You should see the "classical" section, in mine: all 2 for £10, and Classic FM stuff. Fuck.

I need to drive ten miles to find a decent classical music shop.

31 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, most new releases (and some old ones) can be found there.

Karol

Which in this day and age is nothing short of amazing.

Finally got around ordering the final CD in the four-disc project by the Tolkien Ensemble.

R-7976001-1453383271-7158.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

That's an... interesting cover...

Yeah. I noticed that too. Putting the LotR text and a ring on top of a picture of forest fire isn't the best design I have seen.

The black-and-white interior illustrations by the Queen of Denmark Margrethe II are actually very nice.