Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

On 6/24/2018 at 12:36 PM, Brundlefly said:

The excellent re-recording of The Blue Max. It's really cheap considering that it features more than two hours of newly recorded music.

Absolutely adore the Mummy suite on this, an unexpected highlight.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Absolutely adore the Mummy suite on this, an unexpected highlight.

This is the only re-recording that I do not find perfect on this release. Maybe it's due to the lack of the required choir and percussion. But I also don't like the suite itself, because it's so fast paced.

rio_conchos_lala_cd_cover.jpgstagecoach_LLLCD1215.jpgbandolero_LLLCD1256.jpg100_Rifles_LaLa_cd_cover.jpgrio_lobo_LLLCD1221.jpgtake_hard_LLLCD1367.jpgbad_girls_LLLCD1169.jpg

For 75$ from LLL!

download-1.jpg

And I got this OOP title from ebay for a decent price.

8 hours ago, Maglorfin said:

Kingdom of Heaven is a great score!

If only there was an expanded version of it. Great stuff left off the 1 hour album, which isn't a surprise when the score clocks well over 2 hours (not counting the alternate material).

22 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

This is the only re-recording that I do not find perfect on this release. Maybe it's due to the lack of the required choir and percussion. But I also don't like the suite itself, because it's so fast paced.

I love how the orchestra seems to be enjoying themselves with this one, it's totally infectious. Never had any issue with the pacing myself, and the lack of choir doesn't bother me (in fact I've never noticed it until now that you've mentioned it).

Over the last two weeks I've picked up:

- Zootopia - MG

- Inside Out - MG

- Doctor Strange - MG

- Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - MG

- Incredibles 2 - MG

- The Hunger Games - JNH

- War Horse - JW

- Lincoln - JW

- Passengers - TN 

Passengers, Incredibles 2, and Lincoln are all still being sent out. I'm trying to fill in my Giacchino collection so I have all of his 2015 works etc.

I'm trying to buy by the philosophy that they'll be OOP if I don't buy them now!

12 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Is it worth buying Close Encounters? I'm not familiar with the score and only watched the film twice.

One Answer : MIKE MATESSINO.

http://www.mikematessino.com/projects/

Honnestly, I never was a big fan of this score... was too young when the movie came out... the music frightened me... the "sounds" in the movie still annoys me, it's a very noisy movie... But the new expanded set done by Mike Matessino... It will make you love this score, I swear! At least, that's the best possible way to discover it. And this score is sooooo important in John Williams's corpus of works.

John Williams + Mike Matessino = that's ALWAYS a no-brainer

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

How are you on a John Williams forum and not at least familiar with Close Encounters :eh:

I'm unfamiliar with a great deal of Williams work, especially pre 80's. The two times I saw Encounters I didn't think much of the score.

I was the same way on first watch, then bought the LLL set a few months later based solely on their samples and the 10 minute Boston Pops suite.

On 7/3/2018 at 6:30 AM, Incanus said:

If only there was an expanded version of it. Great stuff left off the 1 hour album, which isn't a surprise when the score clocks well over 2 hours (not counting the alternate material).

Absolutely agreed! I hope/think we can actually expect an extended/complete edition to come out at some point in the future, preferably by LLL. :whistle:

9 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I like to space out discovering these supposed gems, rather than buying them all at once. ;)

That's a good strategy. I have yet to discover Mulan and Lionheart.

...now added to the "those should keep me going for a while" haul above: Frankenstein Unbound (Carl Davis), Haunted Honeymoon (John Morris)...

13 minutes ago, Maglorfin said:

- Beethoven - The 9 Symphonies (Staatskapelle Berlin/Daniel Barenboim)

- Diana Krall - Turn Up the Quiet

Daniel Barenboim... really???

Barenboim’s Beethoven symphony cycle is the most emotionally complete, humane, and perfectly realized series of non-period-instrument performances of this music to have appeared in decades. The best cycles of the past few years (Mackerras, Gielen, Harnoncourt, and Vänskä) have all belonged to the “authenticist” school to greater or lesser degree. Barenboim’s achievement clearly demonstrates that a wonderful tradition is alive, vital, and still capable of renewal through intelligent understanding expressed in partnership with a like-minded orchestra, and above all, through supreme musicianship on the podium. His encounter with this music’s generosity of spirit and deep passion will provoke, stimulate, challenge, and delight. - ClassicsToday.com

Okay... I'll have to listen to that!

59 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Daniel Barenboim... really???

I must say I always liked his interpretations, and not only of Beethoven; he is undoubtedly a very fine conductor. I also thought his approach to recording the Beethoven cycle was admirable: "I waited a very long time to record the Beethoven symphonies. I waited for the music to mature in me - or me in it [...]." So when I found the box set for a very reasonable price, I didn't hesistate for long. So far, I have only managed to listen to the Pastorale - which is excellent.

1 hour ago, Maglorfin said:

I must say I always liked his interpretations, and not only of Beethoven; he is undoubtedly a very fine conductor. I also thought his approach to recording the Beethoven cycle was admirable: "I waited a very long time to record the Beethoven symphonies. I waited for the music to mature in me - or me in it [...]." So when I found the box set for a very reasonable price, I didn't hesistate for long. So far, I have only managed to listen to the Pastorale - which is excellent.

He didn't wait long enough to record Beethoven's piano concertos, though. ;)

2 hours ago, Richard said:

One can't say "one of the first". "First" is an absolute. Something is either the first, or it isn't.

unnamed (11).gif

unnamed (10).gif

21 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He didn't wait long enough to record Beethoven's piano concertos, though. ;)

Well, I don't know about that since I haven't heard those (yet), but if you say so ... :P

This time, I wanted just the symphonies - plus, like I said, it was a real bargain. ;) Now, I need to obtain several other "Complete Symphonies of ..." box sets, primarily Mahler, Shostakovich and Vaughan Williams.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

One of the best performances in a Tarantino flick. Not only is Mélanie Laurent incredibly cute, she's also a great actress and a great director.

She was robbed of an Oscar for Basterds.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

One of the best performances in a Tarantino flick. Not only is Mélanie Laurent incredibly cute, she's also a great actress and a great director.

One can't say "one of the best". Best is an absolute. Something is either the best, or it isn't.

43 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

She was robbed of an Oscar for Basterds.

She was. And DiCaprio for Djano.

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

One can't say "one of the best". Best is an absolute. Something is either the best, or it isn't.

It's okay, bro.

Incredibles 2 arrived today! I'm kicking myself I didn't manage to pick up the first score when it was still in print, this time I jumped on the pre-order as soon as it was up! 

Having ripped the score just before and listening to it, it really does sound incredible - the mix and sections of the orchestra all shine and sound clear!

IMG_20180706_153525_719.jpg

IMG_20180706_153525_725.jpg

IMG_20180706_153525_721.jpg

IMG_20180706_153525_746.jpg

On 7/3/2018 at 1:14 PM, dtw42 said:

Those should keep me going for a while.

newbuys.jpg

The Broughtons are AWESOME! The original album presentation for Honey I Blew Up the Kid is all you need (just delete the extra cues, there's nothing there that isn't redundant), but still glad I picked up the new edition for the sound quality upgrade and for Off his Rockers.

Waiting for my Cowboys Expanded set, I buy some less important CDs at first sight, but, but, but...

R-2499336-1411532685-1336.jpeg.jpg