Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

17 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why would they think The Planets was beneath them?

Contemporary British orchestral music was still generally frowned upon in mainland Europe at the time. Karajan apparently was instrumental in bringing The Planets over the channel. And as has been mentioned, the VPO were incredibly conservative at the time, even more so than today.

18 hours ago, Bilbo said:

All 2nd hand on eBay for about €30 inc postage. Not a bad day’s work! 

A great haul Bilbo! Angela's Ashes is up there with my all-time favourite John Williams scores (even though the cover is one of the all-time most awful and depressing) and the rest are all great music from the Maestro.

Catch Me if You Can is the only one I’m really familiar with. I’m looking forward to diving into the rest. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They're all good but not great JW scores.

Pish posh! They are all great!

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Contemporary British orchestral music was still generally frowned upon in mainland Europe at the time. Karajan apparently was instrumental in bringing The Planets over the channel. And as has been mentioned, the VPO were incredibly conservative at the time, even more so than today.

Would it still be seen as contemporary in 61?

19 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I meant to write top-tier. :)

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

News traveled slowly in those days.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Apparently. I'm just going by the liner notes and stuff here, but apparently Holst, Walton and RVW were rather unknown (and rather unpopular where known) in continental Europe at the time.

Not that you hear a lot of their works in Vienna nowadays, really, except for the most famous works .

On 6/6/2019 at 6:30 AM, Incanus said:

AA is his best.

Drama score.

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Couldn't pass up the LLL sale. These plus a $100 gift certificate (the Grieg box is from Amazon):

IMG_20190607_183305_v1.jpg

Järvi's Grieg isn't bad. :) Have you checked out Bjarte Engeset's complete orchestral works on Naxos? It's just as good! And then there's Einar Steen-Nøkleberg's complete piano music, which is a must...

Picked up the Deluxe editions of Volcano and Outbreak during the Varese Sarabande sale. Looking forward to popping those in. 

On 6/7/2019 at 5:21 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Couldn't pass up the LLL sale. These plus a $100 gift certificate (the Grieg box is from Amazon):

(Photo)

Expect me to steal the Grieg set, thank you very much. But seriously, great haul!

23 hours ago, SteveMc said:

(Photo)

Empire's case got a bit cracked in transit.

SL looks alright.

Join the club, buddy! Two phenomenal scores, the former (Empire of the Sun) being a real dark horse from Williams. Enjoy! Immensely happy for you!

On June 8, 2019 at 6:44 AM, Bilbo said:

This lot has arrived 😬

a bit if listening to be done this weekend. 

C16FAEFA-18E0-4B23-999D-3D4C22E4B0BB.jpeg

Nice! Have you heard The Pacific before? It's not bad, IMO.

And of course, Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List are two excellent pick-ups.

4 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Nice! Have you heard The Pacific before? It's not bad, IMO.

And of course, Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List are two excellent pick-ups.

I have listened to The Pacific a lot on Apple Music. I just got around to picking up the CD. I have good memories of the title cue  😬

Image result for the good the bad and the ugly soundtrackThe collection grows...

Also, I saw a 9 CD Wagner opera box, but it was something like $100 Canadian. A good purchase, for another time. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is plenty for now! And it was brand new.

6 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Image result for the good the bad and the ugly soundtrackThe collection grows...

Also, I saw a 9 CD Wagner opera box, but it was something like $100 Canadian. A good purchase, for another time. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is plenty for now! And it was brand new.

A great score!

Regarding The Ring, just get this one for half the price!

https://www.amazon.ca/Wagner-Ring-Nibelungen-Bonus-CD-ROM/dp/B00VVZUXRS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=ring+solti&qid=1560658757&s=gateway&sr=8-1

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Any good, Steve?

Who remixed TITANIC to 5.1?

Dunno. But This came out as a DTX cd Audio in a 5.1 mix in 1998. They reused that same DTS mix on this SACD using a higher DSD resolution. This SACD came out in 2003. Prior to that there was a 2 channel stereo only SACD a few years earlier. 

4 hours ago, Amer said:

Dunno. But This came out as a DTX cd Audio in a 5.1 mix in 1998. They reused that same DTS mix on this SACD using a higher DSD resolution. This SACD came out in 2003. Prior to that there was a 2 channel stereo only SACD a few years earlier.

Thanks, @Amer, but wouldn't it say who remixed it, on the SACD credits? 

10 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

Luckily, you can find it for a dollar most everywhere they have used CDs.

This is true. All my go-to used CD locations have multiple copies of Titanic.

15 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

And it got a decent cover unlike TS3

I never picked up 3, but I remember the cover was a bit meh-ish!