Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

On 10/18/2019 at 5:00 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

They could have done more fonts.

I thought we all agreed to stop using this joke. It hasn’t merely been run into the ground, it’s been driven so deep you need a goddam deep-sea oil rig to find whatever shred of humor is left in it. 

Picked this up at my local HMV today. Some of it is of not much interest --- sound-designy horror music that doesn't really work away from the film. But when it's good it us really good. The 10-minute finale track alone is worth the price.

midsommar-art-1562100205-640x640.jpg

Karol

Oh, FUCK!!!

That's a great haul, dude.

I can't praise FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD too highly. It truly is one of English film scoring's - hell, English music's...period! - greatest achievements. Tender; beautiful; sad; sublime. I envy you.

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I can't praise FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD too highly. It truly is one of English film scoring's - hell, English music's...period! - greatest achievements. Tender; beautiful; sad; sublime. I envy you.

Oh wow!!! I'm so glad to hear that, I bought it purely to bulk up my batch for shipping purposes and because it seemed to be valuable/rare. Now I can't wait to hear it!!

Varese kindly sent me a replacement copy for Star Trek 09's Deluxe Edition which was cracked due to some flimsy shipping packaging. Even though I saw The Incredibles first, Star Trek was the first time I was aware of Giacchino; it's a great album and after listening to the hybrid sessions for years, I never noticed some of the material until now, probably because of the way it's presented.

As a recent fan of Cowboy Bebop and Yoko Kanno's work, I picked up a copy of Future Blues, the album for the film. Kanno slips into multiple styles and genres so easily it's hard to believe it was composed by the same person, but it's a fun ride! 

VTCL-60329.jpg

20191107_124846.jpg

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So you're not getting the expanded Dracula?

I'm not familiar with that score at all, so it will depend on how I take to the OST. To be honest, I'm not expecting it to be expansion worthy as there's so much other stuff I need to catch up first.

12 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm not familiar with that score at all, so it will depend on how I take to the OST. To be honest, I'm not expecting it to be expansion worthy as there's so much other stuff I need to catch up first.

The OST is a rather weird thing though and curiously blends cues together via extensive crossfades. It's not necessarily a proper representation of the score in its original form.

53 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The expansion has both so it is no contest really. And the sound difference is night and day.

Karol

Yeah Kilar's intended and recorded score on the LLL set is the definitive presentation for me, a minor revelation after listening to the OST album with its curious mix and edit decisions for years (which are closer to the film mix and edit of the score I guess). Hearing cues like The Storm in its original form without the overlaying of various elements not meant to be originally overlaid was an improvement in my opinion. Kilar's particular style and brand of minimalistic repetition might wear one down a bit though but his romantic material and horror stuff is first rate here and certainly very unique. The LLL set really raised my opinion on this score.

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Got this for about $33, new and including shipping. Granted, I've already got half the content, but it's a nice way to acquire the Spielberg/Williams collaboration Part III.

williamscond.jpg

Yeah that would be a bargain if I didn't already own all but the Sinatra, swing and The Green Album in that box.

I am not entirely averse to the idea but never saw a reason to purchase those albums, no matter the JW connection.

18 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Got this for about $33, new and including shipping. Granted, I've already got half the content, but it's a nice way to acquire the Spielberg/Williams collaboration Part III.

williamscond.jpg

Which online store?