Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW is a nifty score, from an underrated film.

Fuck, yeah, Jay! :thumbup:

It was amazing, in 1968, it was amazing when I first saw the film, in 1972, and it's amazing, now. It's among the finest collected pieces of music ever matched to celluloid.

My appreciation for the Sky Captain OST has waxed and waned over time, but I currently have enough fondness for it to warrant buying the expansion. I'm also hoping that the full score will allow a little more room to "breathe", since the OST can be a little oppressive in its enthusiasm.

I haven't been here for more than a year so here goes:

- The World Is Not Enough (LLL)

- Harry Potter JW Soundtrack Collection (LLL)

- Schindler's List (LLL 25th Annivcersary)

- Dracula (VS)

- Apollo 13 (Intrada)

- Ben-Hur (Tadlow)

- Lang Lang - The Chopin Album

- Lang Lang - The Mozart Album

- Within Temptation - Mother Earth

- Superman: The Movie (LLL 40th Anniversary)

- Leonard Bernstein - Symphony No. 2 'The Age of Anxiety'

- Chopin Piano Concerto No. 1, Ballades (Seong-Jin Cho & LSO)

- Mission: Impossible (LLL)

- Chernobyl

- Stranger Things 3

- Celebrating John Williams (DG; Dudamel & LAPO)

- The Tenant (Quartet)

- Air Force One (VS)

- Minority Report (LLL)

- The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination

- The Alan Parsons Symphonic Project - Live in Columbia

Whew!  :rock2:

17 hours ago, Maglorfin said:

-The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination

- The Alan Parsons Symphonic Project - Live in Columbia

Whew!  :rock2:

Have you got the EYE IN THE SKY box set? Are you going to get the AMMONIA AVENUE box set?

No, none of those yet. Those are my first two CDs by APP and I must say I very much like Tales ... with The Cask of Amontillado being my absolute song so far.

It's definitely a great band, very versatile and with a unique sound.

Got these three last Saturday in Vienna:

- Broadchurch soundtrack

- Neujahrskonzert 2020

- Neujahrskonzert 1987, WP conducted by Karajan (this was a gem I wasn't expecting to find and was a great bargain at 5 EUR)

On 1/24/2020 at 10:58 AM, Maglorfin said:

- Neujahrskonzert 1987, WP conducted by Karajan (this was a gem I wasn't expecting to find and was a great bargain at 5 EUR)

I've never looked, but if there's one CD I'd bet you could probably find in most CD stores in Vienna that still have a substantial classical section, it's this one.

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've never looked, but if there's one CD I'd bet you could probably find in most CD stores in Vienna that still have a substantial classical section, it's this one.

Hm, interesting. Be that as it may, I'm just glad I found it.

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

@Yavar Moradi will be proud :)

IMG_20200131_1550450~2.jpg

QBVII is I think Jerry's magnum opus if anything is (do you have the complete Tadlow version though? This one is great but leaves out two thirds of the score!)

Alien Nation is my favorite of Jerry's three all-synth scores, even though it's the one that went unused in the film. Runaway might be the best compositionally, but I find the early 80s synths too grating to enjoy listening to. The synths in Alien Nation are far better and it's got a nice theme.

The Sand Pebbles is a masterpiece but I don't care much for the main love theme so I confess I don't listen to it all that often. If you like the score though you'll need to eventually pick up the two disc Intrada version which has a good chunk more music (everything except one lost cue).

Yavar

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

QBVII is I think Jerry's magnum opus if anything is (do you have the complete Tadlow version though? This one is great but leaves out two thirds of the score!)

I do have the Tadlow but found it disappointing. Too much repetition of the opening theme and some of the choral stuff sounds off. I think this is a score that benefits from an album presentation focussed on highlights. I'll know shortly whether this is the case :)

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I do have the Tadlow but found it disappointing. Too much repetition of the opening theme and some of the choral stuff sounds off. I think this is a score that benefits from an album presentation focussed on highlights. I'll know shortly whether this is the case :)

The truth may be somewhere in between (though I enjoy every note). Personally I find the album too short and I miss development of the love theme in particular, but it is a tight, excellent listen still. And an excellent performance under Jerry's baton.

Yavar

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The Sand Pebbles is a masterpiece but I don't care much for the main love theme so I confess I don't listen to it all that often. If you like the score though you'll need to eventually pick up the two disc Intrada version which has a good chunk more music (everything except one lost cue).

I do have the Intrada and the RSNO re-recording conducted by the composer. I mainly bought this one for the artwork. Yes, I'm that guy.

I still need QB VII in any version. I don't know whether I will ever buy one of the three all-synth scores.

On 1/31/2020 at 6:27 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

I swapped out the Film Main Title with the Original Main Title on my computer. The Chinese Love Theme is just a thousand times better.

Didn't know where to put this so feel free to move it - the EU is apparently doing away with outside packages with a value of under 22€ being customs and VAT-free in 2021. RIP LLL/Intrada/whoever_else_is_doing_the_value_markdown_trick's shipping prices, and probably even the base prices in EU-based stores who import them. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, yes. Of course. What an ejit. It looked "wrong", when I wrote it, but I didn't check. Thanks. It's still a good song :)To this day, I know someone who calls the second track on side two of Foxtrot, SUPERS READY.

Well, for the longest time I thought it was called Mad Man Moon on ATotT.

Just now, Bellosh said:

Do you display these in new jewel cases?

Yes, I usually replace my jewel cases when buying used. However those CD-single slimline ones are tricky, I haven't seen those for sale in probably 15-odd years.

I have been away from these forums and listening to soundtracks for a long time.  I'm finally starting to get back into it.  I ordered all of the 2 disc Hobbit soundtracks today.

1 hour ago, Trent Hoyt said:

I have been away from these forums and listening to soundtracks for a long time.  I'm finally starting to get back into it.  I ordered all of the 2 disc Hobbit soundtracks today.

Yay! Now the CR's will be announced ! ;)