Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

12 hours ago, Trent Hoyt said:

I have been away from these forums and listening to soundtracks for a long time.  I'm finally starting to get back into it.  I ordered all of the 2 disc Hobbit soundtracks today.

You come to us now, at the turn of the tide..... with Baby Yoda instead of JLH?  You mad man!

10 hours ago, Jay said:

You come to us now, at the turn of the tide..... with Baby Yoda instead of JLH?  You mad man!

Haha.  I do feel a little different without her.  I'm sure she will be making her comeback soon.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Never heard of this release. And info on it?

https://www.discogs.com/Erich-Wolfgang-Korngold-Juarez-The-Prince-And-The-Pauper/release/12662787

It's the final Korngold release done by Tsunami, after they got a new owner and a new sound engineer who doesn't remove noise excessively. :)

https://korngold-society.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=141

Ah, original recordings then.

Considering Korngold was probably the most prolific film composer in his time and also the first to be rediscovered and "redeemed" in both film and general music circles, it's really surprising and distressing that so many of his original recordings are still waiting for properly restored releases.

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

was probably the most prolific film composer in his time

He didn't do that many scores a year, and managed to negotiate more time for writing each score than his peers. I'd guess Steiner was much more prolific during the same years. It would be easy to check on IMDB if I wasn't too lazy to do it.

23 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

it's really surprising and distressing that so many of his original recordings are still waiting for properly restored releases.

Indeed. It's especially surprising that we don't yet have a release of the original recording for Robin, which was already done work on when it was included as an isolated score on the DVD in the early 2000s. I guess Tsunami's last Korngold release and FSM's release of Kings Row and The Sea Wolf are the only releases that can be called properly restored.

6 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Fortunately Korngold is quite well represented by re-recordings. I have the Kojian/USO Robin Hood and Sea Hawk and they are terrific.

The Kojian recordings are certainly essential, together with the Gerhardt and Lionel Newman recordings of suites and bits and pieces.

55 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He didn't do that many scores a year, and managed to negotiate more time for writing each score than his peers. I'd guess Steiner was much more prolific during the same years. It would be easy to check on IMDB if I wasn't too lazy to do it.

I tend to mis-use "prolific" when I actually mean "prestigious".

On 3/26/2020 at 10:49 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Tell us more about the one to the right.

I saw Schwabenkinder on TV at some point in the early 2000s. I liked the score then and put it on my Amazon wish list - it's been one of my earliest items on the list since then. I didn't remember much except that it featured a choir, but it had a series of price drops recently, so I picked it up. It's got some lovely melodies, rather Morricone style (think Legend of 1900), but it's all rather simple. Mostly melodies and string chords, with some sound effects in some tracks. For something that takes its choir hints and lyrics from liturgy (it has Benedictus, Agnus Dei, Sanctus, and Kyrie - in that order, curiously), the vocal writing is surprisingly homophonic (again, melodies with chords), and the notable vibrato of the choir and soloists is somewhat at odds with the etheral atmosphere the score generally goes for. And as a choir singer, I'm seriously annoyed by how Schneider changes the rhythm of the Latin word "pecata" to make it fit his melody.

In his liner notes Schneider mentions that the film was temp tracked with Angela's Ashes plus Albinoni and Gounoud, and that they made a conscious decision to go for a distinct Morricone sound. He mentions being influenced by Bach, which seems at odds with the homophonic character, but he then adds that they subsequently reduced and simplified the music, and that the simple themes were deliberate.

Still, while I suppose the whole things sounds nice enough, it doesn't really seem to hold much interested when divorced from the film.

I've been ordering a lot of stuff recently, stocking up I guess.  I just received The Sum of all Fears, Days of Thunder, and Searching for Bobby Fischer.

IMG_20200407_210048__01.jpg

$119.92 for the CDs ($29.98 per album)

$33.25 shipping

$48.06 customs tax

$201.23 total

I.e. roughly $50 per album. Ordering at Chris' Soundtrack Corner would actually have saved me about $30.

No, because the discs have been shrinkwrapped for weeks, and I couldn't very well disinfect the booklets anyway. But I try to handle the packaging as little as possible, and I wash my hands after I've taken out the albums.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I.e. roughly $50 per album. Ordering at Chris' Soundtrack Corner would actually have saved me about $30.

When you are at around $100 with your items plus shipping, it's can be worth buying directly from LLL, as you probably won't have to pay custom taxes.

46 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Do you guys disinfect your CDs and packaging when you receive deliveries? And yes, I am serious.

Corona is spreading almost exclusively by droplet infection, there is basically no chance to get it by smear infection. So no.