Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

6 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I know I'm taking my life into my hands in saying this but, this is a fantastic JG comp to get:

MI0000491607.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

https://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Goldsmith-Years-Film-Music/dp/B0009KIYDG

I'm sure @Thor agrees! :D

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

My JG collection is complete!

R-3271447-1323300764.jpeg.jpg

The ST: TMP rendition on this one is very strange indeed, which is especially disappointing as it uses the LSO.

What's also odd is the front cover lists "Theme from The Russia House" and "Love Theme from Forever Young" while the rest of the films are just listed by their titles. My OCD can't deal.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It sounds fine to me. Much better than the one conducted by JW!

It's something about the fact that the brass suddenly becomes pianissimo then slowly fades in again at about the 12 to the 16th note of the main theme. It just does not sound right. I couldn't listen past the first minute.

Yes JW's rendition was terribly sluggish (a bit like his SpaceCamp) which was disappointing, as his Alien was the boss. Kunzel's ST: TMP was way better, as was his Battlestar Galactica.

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Kunzel's ST: TMP was way better, as was his Battlestar Galactica.

On which album are these?

4 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

It's something about the fact that the brass suddenly becomes pianissimo then slowly fades in again at about the 12 to the 16th note of the main theme. It just does not sound right. I couldn't listen past the first minute.

I'm okay with that, but then I don't remember how the original sounds.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

On which album are these?

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/time-warp/108119256

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm okay with that, but then I don't remember how the original sounds.

It sounds nothing like the original, or any other rendition I have heard.

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Oh yeah, I sampled that album quite recently. Didn't like it enough to purchase it, though. Are there sound effects in the music tracks? Then that's probably the reason I didn't want it.

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

It sounds nothing like the original, or any other rendition I have heard.

I think it sounds cool. JG clearly found a way to improve the piece. :)

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh yeah, I sampled that album quite recently. Didn't like it enough to purchase it, though. Are there sound effects in the music tracks? Then that's probably the reason I didn't want it.

There is a tiny little synth flourish at the beginning of ST: TMP which sounds just like something that Jerry could have written, so works for me. There are no SFX in (or out) of the other tracks.

1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

There is a tiny little synth flourish at the beginning of ST: TMP which sounds just like something that Jerry could have written, so works for me. There are no SFX in (or out) of the other tracks.

Then I'll have to check it out again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 2:14 PM, JTWfan77 said:

Apparently JG changed the Dynamics of the theme Insurrection onward IIRC

36 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Tell us more about Brun.

Can't say much yet. Amazon recommended it as a "bought also" a while back, and it was down to just €20 when I placed another order, so I picked it up. I got it yesterday and have only listened to the first two of the 11 disc so far - and so far, it's nothing essential, but really nice. Virtually unknown composer who sounds like anything from Beethoven to Dvorak to Sibelius. The performances and acoustics could be better, but are servicable.

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

Do you guys listen to anything other than soundtracks?  Or is there another thread for that?

Besides film and game scores, I also listen to some adult contemporary on radio while working. It helps me relax.

4 hours ago, Demodex said:

Do you guys listen to anything other than soundtracks?  Or is there another thread for that?

Of course!

Rock, classical, jazz, pop, folk, punk/new wave, electronica, trance, drum 'n' bass, acoustic, chill, house, traditional, prog, metal: I listen to all of these.

On 5/15/2020 at 2:42 PM, Jay said:

Purchased direct from La-La Land

mysterymen-cover_Web__82273.1588187199.j  310yuma-Web__91261.1523980904.jpg stepfordwives-Web__06073.1527635844.jpg? Restless-Web__54058.1531214194.jpg?c=2 LOTG-Web__82820.1543267892.jpg?c=2

All these arrived this week

And this bad boy arrived last week from Japan

d4b217c98d9c0bd066fa5543e7827df8.jpg

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

And this bad boy arrived last week from Japan

d4b217c98d9c0bd066fa5543e7827df8.jpg

Where did you get that from exactly, Jay?

Karol

18 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Where did you get that from exactly, Jay?

Karol

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0862F99BB/

Note: Many people don't realize, but you don't have to have your browser translate the page: You can click the Japanese flag to the right of the search box to change their site from JP to EN

My recent haul since the COVID-19 scenario. Because of flights suspended I had all my orders diverted to my aunts house in New York.  It will be quite sometime before I get my hands on these... 

20200607_022124.jpg

IMG_20200605_162548__01.jpg

My first Signature Edition score. Due to (I assume) some mixup, it was available for just €6.50 a few months ago at a German online store (I only received it now because I co-ordered with a friend from Germany to save on shipping). For reference, there's a sticker by Hal Leonard on the back that says "U.S. $55.00".

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

IMG_20200605_162548__01.jpg

My first Signature Edition score. Due to (I assume) some mixup, it was available for just €6.50 a few months ago at a German online store (I only received it now because I co-ordered with a friend from Germany to save on shipping). For reference, there's a sticker by Hal Leonard on the back that says "U.S. $55.00".

Cool! Which store?

9 hours ago, Amer said:

My recent haul since the COVID-19 scenario. Because of flights suspended I had all my orders diverted to my aunts house in New York.  It will be quite sometime before I get my hands on these... 

20200607_022124.jpg

In that case, Amer, you have a lot of very fine music to look forward to listening to.

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

alle-noten.de

They're now back to regular price of course.

Of course, but I'm always on the lookout for good sheet music stores. How is the sturdiness of their packaging?

11 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In that case, Amer, you have a lot of very fine music to look forward to listening to.

Superman, CE3K and Star Trek:TMP  are rebuys.Already have those!

Took it 22 days to get here. Magic wasn't part of my order but once I realised it's going out of print I emailed LLL to add it to my order and I could pay the difference. But they just offered to add to my order at no extra charge. :)

IMG_20200612_175654.jpg

Oh wait...I didn't order Speed either. I only asked them if it's still available. They're awesome. 😆

Karol

19 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Took it 22 days to get here. Magic wasn't part of my order but once I realised it's going out of print I emailed LLL to add it to my order and I could pay the difference. But they just offered to add to my order at no extra charge. :)

Oh wait...I didn't order Speed either. I only asked them if it's still available. They're awesome. 😆

They gave them to you for free?

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

They gave them to you for free?

Yeah, I wanted to add Bad Girls and Magic to my order and pay for them and Matt replied Bad Girls are already out of print but he's happy to add Magic for free. I thanked him and again offered to pay. And I also asked about whether Speed is still available because I couldn't find it on the website and I noticed it was going out of print. I was thinking of placing another order for it along with few other titles before the promotion ended. He never replied but today I've found it in the box with other titles.

Karol

On 6/2/2020 at 4:26 PM, Demodex said:

I listen to a lot of vintage stuff, have a soft spot for 50's and 60's exotica like Les Baxter (who once sued JW for copyright stuff if I'm not mistaken), I also listen to a lot of Jazz Funk, Hip Hop jazz fusion stuff, also recently got into a band called Jellyfish which sound like a 90's version of the Beatles, whom I also really enjoy. I also love world music: African Jazz and gospel, the Red Army Choir, Japanese Jazz from the 70's.