Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Aw man, the Quartet Basic Instinct is OOP?  That's a shame, that's a great one.  Hopefully you have the Quartet Total Recall?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Aw man, the Quartet Basic Instinct is OOP?  That's a shame, that's a great one.  Hopefully you have the Quartet Total Recall?

Well, the Ost is more than enough.IMHO

That should be easy to find

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

@Jay Is the Quartet the one to get? I was thinking of getting it and saw there was a Varese one too.

Absolutely without question.

You can actually listen to the entire Quartet album for free on Spotify before you decide to buy

https://open.spotify.com/album/1wBuLruSZJx2Izf2ZnaKmz?si=5kzqY5-yRFCOVgU6jrMVKg

And for good measure, the Quartet Basic Instinct is there too: https://open.spotify.com/album/73ftiIj8z1a3ykgtpVhC9c?si=5Qsi43nhQh6eU_zXqbEHxg

I finally bought a used copy of Jaws re-recorded by the Royal Scottish Orchestra.

I love so much their Superman re-recording (more than the original recording, I don't know why).

I'm currently discovering many other re-recordings they made over the years, I simply love them!

50 minutes ago, Holko said:

I could barely find a proper tracklist of this set anywhere!

It's unclear to me whether it's mostly a rehash of earlier releases, or if it offers substantial new music and fresh remasters.

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's unclear to me whether it's mostly a rehash of earlier releases, or if it offers substantial new music and fresh remasters.

It definitely seems to be a compilation, the things I tried so far don't sound crap at all. But it's great for me because not only do I not own any of these stuff, I either haven't heard them outside their films, or haven't heard them at all but would like to and suspect I'll like them.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

I finally bought a used copy of Jaws re-recorded by the Royal Scottish Orchestra.

I love so much their Superman re-recording (more than the original recording, I don't know why).

I'm currently discovering many other re-recordings they made over the years, I simply love them!

Yes both of these are rather well done. Also checkout MIDWAY. 

They re-recorded a lot of Herrmann scores too (mcNeely with other orchestra too), it will my entry point to this obscure German guy who wrote Psycho...

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

They re-recorded a lot of Herrmann scores too (mcNeely with other orchestra too), it will my entry point to this obscure German guy who wrote Psycho...

Start with VERTIGO- fantastic recording followed by TROUBLE WITH HARRY, MARNIE, 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and ofcourse PSYCHO But dont forget NORTH BY NORTHWEST although done by another orchestra but expertly conducted by Joel McNeely, TORN CURTAIN will disap-point becuase of poor recording accoustics so avoid it. CITIZEN KANE is alright but there are better recordings!

McNeely's Citizen Kane is a Botnick recording, I believe? It sounds stunning in any case. Between this, Herrmann's own bits on Decca, and Gerhardt's pieces (including a stunning Salammbo aria), I'm content.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The liner notes for the McNeely TDTESS, said that the Theremin on the original score was "out" by one third of a note. Now, I've heard of microtonal music, but can a note be out by 1/3?

It's a theremin. It's non-discreet. It can be out by as much or as little as you like, just like any non-fretted string instrument (or I suppose also a fretted one).

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

McNeely's Citizen Kane is a Botnick recording, I believe? It sounds stunning in any case. Between this, Herrmann's own bits on Decca, and Gerhardt's pieces (including a stunning Salammbo aria), I'm content.

No CITIZEN KANE was recorded by Jonathan Allen.Bruce Botnick is only involved in the mastering.

My God, I just came across the Disney playlist they play for the SOARIN' queue... :o

Spoiler

1 Jerry Goldsmith Explorers Have A Nice Trip
2 Bill Conti The Right Stuff Kunzel
3 Stu Phillips Battlestar Galactica
4 Jerry Goldsmith Air Force One Welcome Aboard, Sir
5 Cliff Eidelman Chirstopher Columbus: The Discovery The Broken Cloud
6 Alan Silvestri Contact Awful Waste Of Space
7 Jerry Goldsmith Medicine Man The Trees
8 George Delerue Steel Magnolias Main Titles
9 Bruce Broughton The Rescuer's Down Under Cody's Flight
10 Bruce Broughton The Boy Who Could Fly The Hospital - Flying Kunzel
11 Michael Small Consenting Adults Good Friends
12 Lee Holdridge Jonathan Livingston Seagull Dear Father Kunzel
13 Alan Silvestri Father Of The Bride End Titles
14 John Barry Indecent Proposal Suite
15 James Horner Apollo 13 "All Systems Go" - The Launch
16 James Horner An American Tail Flying Away & End Credits
17 John Williams Always Among The Clouds
18 James Horner Apollo 13 Re-Entry & Splashdown
19 David Newman Mr. Destiny
20 James Newton Howard Dave Main Titles
21 John Williams Always Dorinda Solo Flight
22 David Arnold The Musketeer Main Title
23 John Williams Hook Prologue
24 James Newton Howard The Grand Canyon Main Title Kunzel
25 Craig Safan The Last Starfighter Main Title Kunzel
26 James Horner Field Of Dreams End Credits
27 Alan Silvestri Contact End Credits
28 Trevor Jones Arachnophobia End Title
29 James Newton Howard Dave End Titles
30 John Williams Far And Away The Land Race
31 Jerry Goldsmith Explorers Have A Nice Trip
32 Rachel Portman Emma End Title
33 James Horner The Rocketeer Rocketeer To The Rescue - End Title
34 Lee Holdridge The Great Whales Sailing Kunzel
35 Joel McNeely Return To Neverland Flight Through Neverland
36 Jerry Goldsmith Medicine Man The Trees
37 James Horner A Beautiful Mind
38 John Williams Far And Away The Land Race
39 Michael Kamen Band Of Brothers Suite No. 1

I instantly bought those CDs:

Medicine Man (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (CD, Album) album cover An American Tail (Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack) (CD) album cover Father Of The Bride - Music From The Motion Picture (CD, Album) album cover Indecent Proposal (Music Taken From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (CD) album cover Hollywood's Greatest Hits Volume II (CD, Album) album cover Sailing (CD, Album) album cover

I saw the film when I was in college and don't remember that many specifics, but boy is that score aces

5 hours ago, Amer said:

No CITIZEN KANE was recorded by Jonathan Allen.Bruce Botnick is only involved in the mastering.

Ah! But at least I was correct in associating Botnick with it. And in any case, it sounds great.

15 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What did you have to pay for it? An arm and a leg?

Much than I usually pay for a used CD. But I still have my two legs, my two arms and my peepee.

FYC, Jurassic I removed you from my ignore list. So keep calm about the "not so funny posts" and most important, continue to like my posts.