Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

ROBBERY always struck me as a " Great Main title" score.

I have it on an MGM compilation.

Is the rest of it more varied than I remember?

Depends on how you define "varied". It's mostly a monothematic score, but that one theme gets lots of brilliant variations, including a waltz.

People often complain that Horner did "Horner" music.

Every composer have it's own world and tricks. In 3/4 of the (bad) reviews of Horner's scores, they complain that it sounds like this or like that from a previous work. Get over it!

For my part, I bought Krull because it earned a Saturn nomination and because it was highly recommended by some users on this forum.

38 minutes ago, Bespin said:

People often complain that Horner did "Horner" music.

People often complain that Horner did Prokofiev music, and Britten music, and Schumann music, and Glass music.

38 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Every composer have it's own world and tricks.

And some have others'. ;) 

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

For my part, I bought Krull because it earned a Saturn nomination .....

!!!!!???

Have you ever looked at the roster of Saturn nominators?

Nowhere in the universe will you find a more wretched  hive  of scum and villainy!

11 hours ago, Bespin said:

It's the 1998 release, not the recent La-La-Land one.

There are almost as many KRULL releases as THE BLUE MAX!😳

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

209_653992.jpg

Paging @Yavar Moradi!

It's a solid score from Newman and Friedhofer... with a totally awesome theme. :)

That said there are other westerns by each of them I love a lot more (Nevada Smith, Broken Arrow...)

Yavar

10 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It's a solid score from Newman and Friedhofer... with a totally awesome theme. :)

Yavar

Two composers?

But....but...but..

I thought Golden Agerz would NEVER allow another composer to work......

😎

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Could you show some highlights from these scores?

Nevada Smith full stereo album recording (but with a reduced orchestra, and alas not yet released legally on CD, existing CDs are unlicensed and mastered from LP copies):

LLL premiered the complete original film recording (bigger and better original orchestrations/performance, albeit in mono) in their awesome Paramount Westerns box set this past Black Friday, and they have a few dozen copies still available (check out the sound samples; there are a lot of other good scores in the set including a favorite David Raksin score of mine, Will Penny):

https://lalalandrecords.com/nevada-smith-the-paramount-westerns-collection-limited-edition-4-cd-set/

Someone seems to have put up the entire Broken Arrow score on YouTube six months ago (you can buy the album from Screen Archives):

Note: one highlight cue of the score was written by Alfred Newman, who also conducted the entire thing.

Lemme know what you think!

Yavar

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Another Goldsmith for the collection.

R-9368765-1556047725-6549.jpeg.jpg

I know the Expanded newer set feature a better sound... but it's f@#$&% OOP...

In addition to ordering WOTW from Intrada and HTTYD from Varese,  I recently bought a couple of items from Kritzerland of particular interest to me

The Panic in Needle Park is the only film score Ned Rorem ever wrote.... and it was thrown out!  At least it was thrown out in favor of just not having score at all, he wasn't replaced.

KR_Panic_NeedleCov600x600.jpg

KR_Cardinal_Cov600x600.jpg

8 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

Reminds me of my cat.

I think a very deliberate design choice for Toothless. Cutesy and quite cat-like over being more traditionally lizardy and monstrous.

I don't really know either, however, Morituri gets some praise on the forums. The Don Is Dead is a score that most people probably haven't never heard until now, so I just relied on the intriguing samples.

What's weird about that?  The Thomas and the King album wasn't recorded until August 1981, while Raiders film and score were out in June 1981