Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

The way Bespin is spending money I figure he owns stock in AMAZON-

13 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Fanks fer that. It's perfick.

If that's how they were brought up, shouldn't that be "barf"? :lol:

No!

As in." Do you practice BIRTH( birf) control?

John Williams, The London Symphony Orchestra - Star Wars Trilogy (The  Original Soundtrack Anthology) (1993, Box Set) | Discogs

I'm an idiot for having sold that shit years ago and only now re-buying it, because it is to date the best presentation of the Original Trilogy. I doubt that any future complete release will have the same nice flow, so it will remain the best listening experience as well.

Just purchased a 12CD box from Sony "Charles Gerhardt conducts Classic Film Scores".

It are excerpts of filmscores from Korngold, Dimitri Tiomkin, Max Steiner, Franz Waxman, Bernard Herrmann and others. Partly one CD per film like Max Steiner,s Gone with the Wind or Korngold's "The Sea Hawk" others just with suits or excerpts. But this is about 9 hours of brillant classic film music for about 15 Euro. I am happy. :)

Recordings are from the mid seventies. Brillant quality to my mind. But I just listened to the first CD.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That one's also a collection of suites.

Oh. Yes, you are right. Actually, apart from Gone with the Wind these are all collections.

Just listening to the Dimitri Tiomkin disc.

Everytime I get frustrated with modern film music I love to listen to these old scores.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:03 PM, Brundlefly said:

John Williams, The London Symphony Orchestra - Star Wars Trilogy (The  Original Soundtrack Anthology) (1993, Box Set) | Discogs

I'm an idiot for having sold that shit years ago and only now re-buying it, because it is to date the best presentation of the Original Trilogy. I doubt that any future complete release will have the same nice flow, so it will remain the best listening experience as well.

But I always wonder whos idea it was to merge the end chorus of RotJ with the Finale ot TESB.

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

apart from Gone with the Wind these are all collections.

Gerhardt did one record devoted to music from RotJ on RCA, and another one devoted to TESB on Varese. And there's the RCA record of suites from SW and CE3K on RCA. Also, Gerhardt recorded Korngold's score to Kings Row on Varese. Of course, Kojian also recorded a couple of Korngold scores on the same label; The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk. These are highly recommend, as is Carl Davis' recording of The Private Lives of Elizabeth & Essex.

55 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But I always wonder whos idea it was to merge the end chorus of RotJ with the Finale ot TESB.

That was a ridiculous idea... but it seems JW approved it!

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

On one hand, I do that too, but on the other hand, it's obvious that this combination serves as the perfect conclusio to the fourth CD which thus can stand on its own as a listening experience.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Because there was an alternate ROTJ ending they wanted to include, but there's only 1 version of the ROTJ end credits, yet TESB had a different End Credits performance on album compared to film, so voila, instant solution

51 minutes ago, Bespin said:

That was a ridiculous idea... but it seems JW approved it!

I don't think labels were asking his permission to do these things back then

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Because there was an alternate ROTJ ending they wanted to include, but there's only 1 version of the ROTJ end credits, yet TESB had a different End Credits performance on album compared to film, so voila, instant solution

A very jarring one, to be sure. Apart from it making no sense narratively, the SQ on the film stem sourced TESB end credits cue is horribly strident. They should have just binned the OST Ewok Celebration and presented the complete film version Ewok Celebration and End Credits at the end of the ROTJ disc. That would have left more space for extra ROTJ unreleased cues on the 4th disc. Oh well.

Is it true that the Corellian Edition has the ROTJ End Credits with clean opening (sans Ewok Celebration)?

Nope, it's faked just like it is on the 1997 set. 

The original master tapes for that final ROTJ session (where "Return of the Jedi", "Jabba The Hutt", "Forest Battle", "Luke And Leia", "Parade of the Ewoks", and the End Credits were recorded) have never turned up (or at least, they didn't when making the 1994 box, 1997 2CD sets, or 2018 demasters).  So all of those cues on all releases come directly off the album master.

This is why the 1994 set kept the "Han Solo Returns" track as it was on the OST (which is an edit combining the start of the film cue The Big Thaw with the end of the concert arrangement Jabba The Hutt), and the 1997 set ditched it entirely and only presented The Big Thaw.... and why we have this end credits issue.  The final track on disc 3 of the 1994 box is just the final track off the ROTJ album master.  The final track of disc 4 is the finale cues from the proper film cue recording sessions, but what to do about the end credits?  Well, as just discussed, they just segued to the TESB end credits.

But what about the 1997 set?  Yub Nub is gone, how do we go from Victory Celebration into the ROTJ end credits if they can't find the master recording and only have the album master?  Well, it turns out on that 1997 set, that's actually the opening of the TESB end credits for a few bars before they segue to the rest of the ROTJ recording.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Not entirely true. Gerhardt did one record devoted to music from RotJ on RCA, and another one devoted to TESB on Varese. And there's the RCA record of suites from SW and CE3K on RCA. Also, Gerhardt recorded Korngold's score to Kings Row on Varese. Of course, Kojian also recorded a couple of Korngold scores on the same label; The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk. These are highly recommend, as is Carl Davis' recording of The Private Lives of Elizabeth & Essex.

Well yes, but none of those are in this set. For some (licencing?) reason, the SW/CE3K & ROTJ were never included when they remastered the "Classic Film Scores" series. And of course, the others you list are on different labels altogether.

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

Two Psychos are better than one!

20201022_111822.jpg

I've worked with psychos. No, they ain't!

Nice Trevor Jones stuff. Check out THE DARK CRYSTAL, and a TV show called THE LAST PLACE ON EARTH, starring Kenneth Brannagh.

Ah! We have one person to thank, for Virgin Records.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Yaaay!

20201026_144947.jpg

Or:

Hide contents

20201026_145034.jpg

Did you design and print new booklet covers?? They’re neat. I like the new HTTYD. And I like how the new WOTW resembles the cover of a 70s or 80s era book. 

14 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Did you design and print new booklet covers??

Oh no no no no. I slightly modified existing ones to my preference and printed them.

Httyd from here:

https://hu.pinterest.com/pin/509117932861199279/

I boosted the saturation and switched the logo to the one appearing as the credits start. I do like the OST cover and am extra glad that the Varese doesn't actually have that Deluxe stripe but I like this one more.

Spoiler

R1uIIIo.jpg

WotW from here:

https://hqcovers.net/2015/12/29/war-of-the-worlds-by-john-williams/

Yes, I believe book covers were the inspration for multiple of the ones featured here. I only changed the yellow Decca Records text on top to Intrada Records. I don't like either Intrada option and I was surprised to find out this one even fits with the spine pretty well, better than either of the official ones.

5 hours ago, Amer said:

About to embark on a Tom Cruise Soundtrack marathon. 😊 All new sealed sets. Where to begin.. 🤔

IMG_20201101_143851_276.jpg

FAR AND AWAY, first. Get the worst one over with. Dealer's choice on MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, and WAR OF THE WORLDS (they're both decent, in their own ways). Save MINORITY REPORT for last, and savour, with a nice glass of red.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I last posted in this thread so here are my latest acquisitions:

- Fazil Say - complete Beethoven piano sonatas

- Alive (Intrada)

- Legends of the Fall (Intrada)

- The River (Intrada)

- Far and Away (LLL)

- JW & ASM - Across the Stars Deluxe Edition

- John Williams Live In Vienna (two editions: CD + blu-ray and CD only/digipak)

- Beethoven - Missa solemnis (Harnoncourt & Concentus Musicus Wien)

- The Thing (Quartet)

- War of the Worlds (LLL)

- Friday the 13th Part VII (LLL)