Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Nice, Bes.

Another batch of ordered CDs arrived, today, including recordings by Mike Oldfield, the very marvellous Prefab Sprout, "Various Artists" (that's what it says on CDs), and my Yuletide listen; Handel's MESSIAH.

Christmas is sorted :)

On 12/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, Amer said:

IMG_20201212_161752_996.jpgIMG_20201212_161911_419.jpg

The fastest order ever received from a label. These arrived Saturday. 

You bought the LP and the CD?!😳

It's kinda sad that ninety percent of most purchases are from older scores- many repurchases.

I know Thor acquires many contemporary scores, but most of us , I include myself, are into retreads.😞

50 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

You bought the LP and the CD?!😳

It's kinda sad that ninety percent of most purchases are from older scores- many repurchases.

I know Thor acquires many contemporary scores, but most of us , I include myself, are into retreads.😞

Thats fine with me. Most of the new stuff doesnt really come to the level what these were able to accomplish. Stuff that I didnt pay attention earlier now have gotten the regal treatment and to say the least rediscovering them is such a delight and a treat.

TOTAL RECALL is one of my favourite adrenline charged scores from Goldsmith;  the purchase of the Vinyl is totaly from a nostalgic  point of view and to enjoy the artwork whereas the 2nd CD is a repurchase for both the new artwork and because my previous cds are getting worn out with scratches! -I have played this a lot.;)

It hapened to me once, the CD player of my actual computer "ate" a CD.  When turning, the CD went out of the compartiment, and got so badly scratched, I had to throw it in the bin.

I don't use it anymore, I bought an external one.

And well, I bought an used CD to replace the original. It annoyed me a lot, because it was one of the first CDs I bought in the early 90s.

I'm currently making my "end of the year" buying from screearchive, as the canadian dollar is pretty good (well if 0.78 cents is good... it's the best it's been of the year!).

Screenarchive seems onve again the best option for me,  who lived in North Pole, they actually seems to offer the CDs of each labels. So...

• War of the World expansion
  • Total Recall new expansion
  • The Land Before TIme new edition

Do I miss something REALLY important?

It's often the effect I do on people lately!

No Rambo, no westerns, no cartoons (with some rare exceptions), mercy!

Let me know, if you have to chose one among these three?

image.png

36 minutes ago, Bespin said:

image.png

Pesonally: NIMH.

37 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Disappointed.

tenor.gif?itemid=18054893

January 2021 order completed!

Finally, for Morricone I will order his "60 years of Music rerecording" and his "Collected" compilation.  It will be enough. I have the feeling after listened (well, trying to listening complete scores of him) that Morricone is a hit machine, I don't think he crafted his scores like the other ones, maybe more "classical" movie composers. So, I can be wrong, but I think compilations suit him very well.

Anyway, it's my Christmas gift from me to me, that I will receive in January, because I didn't want my shipping got stuck in the Christmas crazyness.  Some of the CDs will only be reissued late December, so that's a perfect timing for me!

:santa:

image.pngimage.png

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm currently making my "end of the year" buying from screearchive, as the canadian dollar is pretty good (well if 0.78 cents is good... it's the best it's been of the year!).

Screenarchive seems onve again the best option for me,  who lived in North Pole, they actually seems to offer the CDs of each labels. So...

• War of the World expansion
  • Total Recall new expansion
  • The Land Before TIme new edition

Do I miss something REALLY important?

The 30th anniversary edition of Total Recall is the same as the 25th anniversary edition, just with a new cover, so you don't need to buy it if you already have the 25th.

As far as great catalog titles released by the specialty labels in 2020, I recommend Robin Hood, How To Train Your Dragon, Dolores Claiborne, Casper, and Legends of the Fall

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

The 30th anniversary edition of Total Recall is the same as the 25th anniversary edition, just with a new cover, so you don't need to buy it if you already have the 25th.

As far as great catalog titles released by the specialty labels in 2020, I recommend Robin Hood, How To Train Your Dragon, Dolores Claiborne, Casper, and Legends of the Fall

I didn't have Total Recall at all.

And I already have the Expanded Editions of Casper and Legends of the Fall, OF COURSE! :P

The Dragon thing... that's a cartoon so that's a NO-NO... and for now, John Powder is out of my radar.

About Michael Kamen... yes.. maybe... the next order... I don't know this composer, so it would be a fantastic way to learn about him (his Robin Hood is on the list of AFI after all).

But but but, is the 4 CD new expansion is not a bit too much for an uninitiated like me?

Dolores Claiborne..., impressive @Jay, much impressive! :lsabre:

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

It's often the effect I do on people lately!

No Rambo, no westerns, no cartoons (with some rare exceptions), mercy!

image.png

Bes, as much as I like CINEMA PARADISO, I'd go for ISLANDS IN THE STREAM, because it's such a personal score, for Jerry. He put his heart and soul into it, and it shows.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

January 2021 order completed!

Finally, for Morricone I will order his "60 years of Music rerecording" and his "Collected" compilation.  It will be enough. I have the feeling after listened (well, trying to listening complete scores of him) that Morricone is a hit machine, I don't think he crafted his scores like the other ones, maybe more "classical" movie composers. So, I can be wrong, but I think compilations suit him very well.

Anyway, it's my Christmas gift from me to me, that I will receive in January, because I didn't want my shipping got stuck in the Christmas crazyness.  Some of the CDs will only be reissued late December, so that's a perfect timing for me!

:santa:

image.pngimage.png

Thats-a spicy meat-a ball!

23 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I just ordered CHECKMATE/HONG KONG.

That's the best option to get Checkmate, the sound is so much better in comparison to the previous FSM CD release.

image.png

Congrats!

PS: You also need the "Rhythm in Motion" album reissued in 2015.

image.png

Just now, bruce marshall said:

Weird that the sound on.FSM is inferior.

Why?😳

The sound of the Superman's 2000 release is inferior compared to the 2019 release.

Why?

THE SOURCE.

THE SOURCE!!!!

23 hours ago, Bespin said:

About Michael Kamen... yes.. maybe... the next order... I don't know this composer, so it would be a fantastic way to learn about him (his Robin Hood is on the list of AFI after all).

But but but, is the 4 CD new expansion is not a bit too much for an uninitiated like me?

Nah, it's not too much. It's a very nice, two hour main program spread over the first two discs. That's the main attraction of the release. Don't even take disc 3 out of the case until after you've listened to the main program a few times and like it. It's pretty much the normal bonus track assembly most expansions get, just on its own disc.  Then disc 4 is just the original OST album for those who like that short presentation. 

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not very familiar with this director. Could you link to some highlights on YouTube or Spotify?

It is a simpler just with songs. And I almost doubt that in Kaurismäki there plays any music apart from songs or sometimes maybe some Finish tango music. Do you know Leningrad Cowboys? 

The music is really fun. When I put in this CD, I realized, how depressing the music is, that I usualy hear.

As a Chrissy pressie to me, I managed to find a CD copy of RED HOT + BLUE.

Long ago, I had this on vinyl, so it's been an absolute treat to be reacquainted with this record.

Thirty years on, and U2's version of NIGHT AND DAY still blows me away.

My "Boonta Eve" order has shipped.. sooner than I expected, because some CDs were about to be re-published at the end of december. So it seems they had them all in stock. I think it's my biggest order to date.