Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I wanted the Shawshank OST, even if I have the expanded release, I'm like that.

61JmFNc58ZL._SY90_.jpg

Then a score I don't know yet, Angels in America.

41oONHuF4JL._SX90_.jpg

LaLaLand's Hard Rain finally arrived today, after spending 2 1/2 weeks sitting in UK customs.

Not a particularly revelatory release - there's only 10-15 minutes unreleased, and the original album already sounded fine, but it's nice to have the whole thing in film order, and there are a handful of cues that provide a bit more of a break from the action.

On 3/10/2021 at 10:31 PM, Bespin said:

I wanted the Shawshank OST, even if I have the expanded release, I'm like that.

61JmFNc58ZL._SY90_.jpg

Shawshank is Newman at his unusually most concise at constructing an OST. The opening track, May is from somewhere in the middle of the film and I wonder if he put that instead of the courtroom scene in order to give the album a bit of a happier opening.

I find the expansion too long though - it's another case of my using it to create an alternative OST, around the same length as the original. I dropped the more depressing 'introspective' material (New Fish, Sisters, Zihuatanejo, etc) and preferred the opening scene, the dramatic material surrounding the escape, and the immediate aftermath where Dufresne is driving to the coast.

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Yeah . To quote a Jwfan .." It sounds pretty  good for a recording from the seventies"😁

As far as I remember, that was in reference to The Cowboys, and clearly applied specifically to *soundtrack* recordings. And a significant share of soundtrack recordings from the 70s certainly are either not as good recorded or not as well preserved, or probably both, as "classical" recordings from the 70s and even 60s.

Well, I have the 2cd edition and the blue box but I bought Superman (again!).

Does it contain anything that the other editions don't have aside from the ost and the alternate Fortress of Solitude?

superman-the-movie-40th-anniversary-edit

Also got:

bram-stoker-s-dracula-expanded.jpg

The ost was the first ost I had ever heard in my life (aside from the picture, at a time when I didn't know that film music is released on LPs, cds etc.) and the reason I started collecting soundtracks.

6 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Does it contain anything that the other editions don't have aside from the ost and the alternate Fortress of Solitude?

Everything else in better sound? I think that's about it.

35 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Yes.  listen to the track "I Can Fly (Flying Sequence Alternate Segment)" carefully.

But really the main selling point is that all three discs were completely rebuilt from scratch using the original 1st gen multi track (that actual tape that ran in the room recording the orchestra), which had been sitting in a salt mine in Kansas since 1978 and had never been used for anything since the original recording, until it was found and transferred for this project.  All previous albums used later generation mixes with analog audio loss, this is a brand new mix from the full original multichannel

5 minutes ago, Amer said:

Utah? I thought the Warner archive was in Kansas. 

Typo fixed

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do salt mines offer good storage conditions for tape recordings?

Yes

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Decent sound.

58 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

A pretty ok couple of days

623F8CF9-BFB1-4F29-8161-D9E9C47E7B25.jpeg

5C7D5277-E290-4FB8-983E-7B30A60C99B5.jpeg

No, I do not know why the forum turned the photos sideways 

What it the multidisc set to the left?

Red for A New Hope, Blue for Empire, and Green for Jedi. 

I’ve no idea why those colours were picked. 
Saber colours maybe? I dunno.