Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Here's an odd quirk I recently found about the album presentation: on the LP and early CD presentations, Evil Visitation comes after The Discovery Suite. However, after the VS CD release in 1990, they've swapped places, which the BSX versions have kept. I'm not sure if this is a genuine error, or a conscious choice Mancini decided on for the later pressings. It doesn't change the general flow too much, but it is a curious decision nonetheless.

Also, on BSX copies: Lifeforce Theme and Evil Visitation are just reduced to Theme and Visitation, which are even stranger choices to make. Especially when the digital release (also put up by them) retitles the former to Main Theme. Guess I'll have to ask someone who worked on the set about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Another entry for my collection of re-recordings of Hitchcock scores:

Dial M for Murder - Dimitri Tiomkin

Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by William Stromberg

What I heard so far from Tiomkin is always well composed, but far from memorable. Concerning golden age scores I am a little spoiled, because I heard a lot of Rózsa. But I guess this score might be a grower. I can't remember the movie, and for the joy of Spellbound it definitely helped to watch the film.

25 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

the Kraemer I won from Jay for my JWFan donation - verdict: I agree with Jay and Shark that the main and end titles are the highlights. The rest is always competent underscore, but doesn't leave too much of an impression, probably because it doesn't sound like it stands out all that much in the film (which might be due to the film or the director's wishes). All the way through, it reminds me of Williams, particularly Jurassic Park - although the main and end titles sound rather a bit like The Post to me (which was written later!)

The score to Jack Reacher feels like a prequel to MI5, which I guess it kinda is.

Looking forward to your verdict of Die Nibelungen.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Didn't think you could still find the old Berglund Sibelius box anywhere. 

I found one on Amazon Marketplace in Like New condition after you recommended it! Unfortunately its Disc 4 is wrong, instead of Our Own Land and Origin of Fire, it has Oceanides, Finlandia and Tapiola like on another release, they printed the wrong master and as I saw by some googling, it's not a unique case, half the tracklists have one, the other half the other. These 3 pieces are already present on Disc 6 but at least in a different performance so at least they're not completely redundant, I just got scammed out of 2 pieces :lol:

19 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Just realized I didn't post my 2021 final batch:

Where did you manage to find a copy of Balto?

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

From when is this recording? Interesting collection.

I saw that BSX has licenced a lot of Citadel recordings and made them available digitally. Here are a few others:

Spoiler

Spoiler