Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

On 28/05/2022 at 11:02 AM, GerateWohl said:

At last got one my earliest soundtrack records in CD.

IMG_20220528_160036~2.jpg

Really happy with it. Wonderful music.

Wonderfull score. You reminded me of it and I found that it was re-released (in 2016) and ordered it. 

Federico Jusid's score for the 2018 Netflix miniseries version is also great.  

2 hours ago, Bespin said:
  On 05/07/1979 at 2:20 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it, again: it's a beautiful score, from a beautiful film.

How was JWFan in May of 1979? I imagine people were debating the recently released Superman score and speculating about the upcoming sequel to Star Wars?

On 20/05/2022 at 3:10 PM, Jay said:

Purchased directly from Varese Sarabande:

43925.jpg 43924.jpg

3423.gif 4002.gif 9910.gif19530.gif 9691.gif 40461.gif 20154.gif

Everything but the two new expansions were $5 each!

This box arrive from Varese this past Saturday!

I inherited my aunt’s records, I think I now have Barbra Streisand's complete collection.

The one of Julio Iglesias too.

:D

What ever happened to things sucking because they weren't well made? Get rid of the buzzwords that have no real meaning, and just say it looks bad.

(And given the Nutcracker was a ballet, isn't it a female centric thing by design to begin with?)

I had a ton of those same ones.  I still have my Jaws 2 Varese longbox.  Should've kept my old ones though.  I wonder if they brought these back if it would help the format?  Yes, I know it's wasteful cardboard, but they could do clever packaging with them like Prince's Around the World in a Day, which was a fold out with lyrics.

People collect blu rays for slipcovers these days.  I could see longboxes being a thing.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I never saw this format before. I must be too young!

Me too but man they look awesome! 

Though looking at the titles I was like 10 years old but still missed these. 

18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

As the biggest JNH fan of the forum, it pains me to say it, but Nutcracker is one of his weakest and most forgettable fantasy scores ever. 

On what do you base this? Large parts are based on and written around one of the greatest fantasy ballets ever. And those moments make it actually one of his most charming/Williams-esque works.

Tbh, for a film music fan it's rather an upgrade, as it integrates the material smoothly in a modern setting. It was clear from the beginning that the whole project was doomed, but when i hear some of the cues especially from the first half now, i enjoy them sure more than i. e. the Fantastic Beasts sequels.

Aside from the direct quotations of the ballet, there's nothing exactly special or memorable about the score.

Can't believe you guys are actually making me side with Jurassic "JNH only wrote one good score in his entire career!" Shark on that one.

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Aside from the direct quotations of the ballet, there's nothing exactly special or memorable about the score.

There's nothing exactly special or memorable about a lot of JNH's of late, so together with Red Sparrow's big ballet sequence written around the same time and boldly connecting a ballet/action sequence it was a short and welcome russian blossoming.