Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Notting Hill Gate's Music and Video Exchange. Or something like that. They had some decent selection of Golden Age stuff. Wish I could get more.

Karol

Glad you found some stuff. They had a load of golden age FSM albums when I was there the other week but I had most of them (or wasn’t interested). Still a shame their classical range isn’t that big.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Indeed. It's not cheap, in there.

Did you try Dress Circle, in Monmouth St.? They mostly stick to show stuff, but the last time I was in there, they had a few decent OSTs.

I thought their physical shop had closed?

41 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It may have. It's been a while since I was there.

(one minute later)

Oops! I just Google Mapped it. It's shut. Bummer.

Shame. I hoped I was wrong but my other half is a big musical theatre fan and was sadly fairly sure I was right. The amazing classical shop near soho has closed too. Can’t even remember what it was called now. Then again I’m in France at the moment and physical stores are so expensive compared to online. €18 for a single disc classical album compared to around a tenner or less at Presto (either digital FLAC or CD). 

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Any Johnny Greenwood is good Johnny Greenwood.

Was that bought at Fopp on Cambridge Circus?

Were you following me? 😄

Yeah, I went there on my way to the Sondheim Theatre.

But then, you probably know that already too. 🤣

Karol

7 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Glad you found some stuff. They had a load of golden age FSM albums when I was there the other week but I had most of them (or wasn’t interested). Still a shame their classical range isn’t that big.

So they permanently scaled down the classical section after the flooding? That would be a shame. There's not too many soundtracks I'm missing these days that have been released and could show up in a shop like this, but there always used to be a shit ton of interesting (and cheap) classical/contemporary stuff to choose from in the basement.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So they permanently scaled down the classical section after the flooding? That would be a shame. There's not too many soundtracks I'm missing these days that have been released and could show up in a shop like this, but there always used to be a shit ton of interesting (and cheap) classical/contemporary stuff to choose from in the basement.

I think they’re having issues with the insurance still and so they haven’t been able to repair the damage from the flooding. I assume they’ll restock it when they finally sort that out but feels like it could take a while unfortunately. Like you, there’s not many soundtracks that I’ve picked up there (but do find the odd surprise, I found a few Waxman albums from FSM last time) but often cleaned up in the classical section. Fingers crossed it gets sorted soon. 

Well I'm not exactly in a super happy place, but I just bought them now after having discovered them on that huge 240 CD set from DG, money had come my way so I thought, why not now? Also bought his beethoven's eroica, 70s.

I'm waiting for a good deal on Karajan's complete Tchaikovsky cycle on Blu. And the Blu edition of his 60s Beethoven, to replace my trusty old DG Resonance releases from the early 90s.

I already wanted to try to find a satisfying cycle for Tchaikovsky's symphonies... I stated very quickly that Karajan was not the answer.

What about Mariss Jansons?

https://www.discogs.com/release/2214046-Tchaikovsky-Oslo-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Mariss-Jansons-The-Symphonies

PS: BTW I should never have purchased these 76/77 Karajan recordings with The Berliner Philh. That's not Tchaikovsky. I can sell it to you, if you want. :lol:

Primary

I just fixed a big ommission in my CD collection.

Following the success of the movie and its very "strange" use of his song "In Dreams", Roy Orbison re-recorded the song in 1987, proved beneficial to his 80's comeback.

Primary

Thankfully the labels are in downtime (as far as I'm concerned at least), so I can continue exploring ambient and jazz!

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzeyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2Vz

a1885820913_10.jpgeyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2Vza0896407497_10.jpga0430751405_10.jpg

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2Vzdpgy3b-dreams-preview-m3_550x550.jpg

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Just acquired the SCORE CD for ST:III.

Looking forward to the unreleased cues from the ost- which I own.

I think there is approx. sixteen minutes(?)

It's a fine score from a great sequel, which overturns the "three is the worst" accepted way of thinking.

"Sunset On Genesis" is sublime.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

III, and V are my second and third favourite Star Trek films, in that order.

V is getting more appreciation as the decades go by.  Honestly, I always loved it.  It's a big "Kirk debunks a false God" episode.  Classic Trek.  It has a connection to Star Trek Strange New Worlds, so I think you're going to see some renewed interest in the zeitgeist.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

image.jpeg

A top-notch order from earlier in the year. Jumped on Empire of the Sun instantly after years of it being out of stock. Also very happy to finally own one of Goldsmith's finest. À ta santé!

Santé!