Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

V certainly doesn't have the best story, but it may have some of the best character/camaraderie stuff and the second best score of the series.

I'm not sure where it ranks, there are so many wonderful scores in the series, but it is certainly a terrific one. :)

Karol

20 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

III, and V are my second and third favourite Star Trek films, in that order.

Enjoyed this recent Grauniad article on Wrath Of Khan, although being reminded that it's now 40 years old stopped me in my tracks somewhat. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jun/24/khaaaan-why-wrath-of-khan-remains-the-greatest-star-trek-movie-40-years-on

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The only disc of these Stromberg recordings that I've got is Fahrenheit 451 and it is superb. Please let us know what you think of the other ones @Incanus. :)

Karol

Will do @crocodile! I have previously heard only the Prince and the Pauper but thought it was high time to get all of these classics.

Now if only someone would re-record The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by Herrmann or Varese re-release their old re-recording. That masterpiece should be in print! 

I really need to do what you did, @Incanus.  My lack of exposure to Golden Age is shameful, but I'm uncertain if I'd enjoy it on its own merits, instead of obsessively combing through for Korngoldian influences on Williams.

Yes, I was just browsing the Gerhardt albums on Prime Music the other day.  Probably a good place to begin.  I just need more listening time.

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Apart from that, a good starter is the 12-CD box with the Gerhardt albums.

The Morgan/Stromberg recordings are very fine, and absolutely worth having if you want the full scores. But while Gerhardt has only recorded (often extensive) suites, half a century later nobody has yet come close to his interpretations.

I actually own 4 Stromberg recordings:

• 2007 Herrmann-Fahrenheit 451 [Stromberg]
  • 2000 Herrmann-The Snows of Kilimanjaro [Stromberg]
  • 2000 Herrmann-5 Fingers [Stromberg]
  • 1998 Herrmann-The Egyptian [Stromberg]

It's hard to find reviews about their recordings on the web, but if I purchased these ones it's because I found good reviews!

These ones were selected by the IFMCA (I think @Incanus and I have the same sources!), they are to be explored for sure!

• Dial M For Murder, music by Dimitri Tiomkin
  • The Adventures of Don Juan/Arsenic and Old Lace, music by Max Steiner
  • The Battle of Neretva/The Naked and the Dead, music by Bernard Herrmann
  • The Charge of the Light Brigade, music by Max Steiner
  • The Prince and the Pauper, music by Erich Wolfgang Korngold
  • The Kentuckian/Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot, music by Bernard Herrmann
  • She, music by Max Steiner

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Now if only someone would re-record The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by Herrmann or Varese re-release their old re-recording. That masterpiece should be in print! 

If I found it, you can find it!

20220705_102051.jpg

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

If I found it, you can find it!

20220705_102051.jpg

Nah I'll wait for the eventual re-release of that version instead of scouring the interwebs for a costly copy. :P 

I am also hoping some of Bernstein recordings will resurface. Young Bess by Miklos Rozsa is one I'm hoping to get re-released the most.

Some holy trinity double-dipping:

JP_RI_Cover__01186.jpgST-TMP-2022-cover-HQ__88146.jpgCAPD-cover__10490.1656962531.jpg

And something new from elder gods:

DiaryOfAnneFrankCover__65534.jpg

Karol

15 hours ago, crocodile said:

am also hoping some of Bernstein recordings will resurface. Young Bess by Miklos Rozsa is one I'm hoping to get re-released the most.

Definitely! (Y)

21 hours ago, Bespin said:

These ones were selected by the IFMCA (I think @Incanus and I have the same sources!), they are to be explored for sure!

• Dial M For Murder, music by Dimitri Tiomkin
  • The Adventures of Don Juan/Arsenic and Old Lace, music by Max Steiner
  • The Battle of Neretva/The Naked and the Dead, music by Bernard Herrmann
  • The Charge of the Light Brigade, music by Max Steiner
  • The Prince and the Pauper, music by Erich Wolfgang Korngold
  • The Kentuckian/Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot, music by Bernard Herrmann
  • She, music by Max Steiner

From the Morgan/Stromberg recordings I definitely can recommend:

Steiner: All this, and Heaven too / A Stolen Life

Steiner: The Son of Kong / The Most Dangerous Game

Sainton: Moby Dick

22 hours ago, Andy said:

Yes, I was just browsing the Gerhardt albums on Prime Music the other day.  Probably a good place to begin.  I just need more listening time.

For a great Gerhardt primer, check out Cinematic Sound Radio's shows:

http://www.cinematicsound.net/a-tribute-to-charles-gerhardt-4-part-series/

48 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Sainton: Moby Dick

A brilliant score, and one that hardly anyone else (or perhaps nobody at all?) has recorded anything from, so the Morgan/Stromberg album is a must have.

20 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

For a great Gerhardt primer, check out Cinematic Sound Radio's shows:

http://www.cinematicsound.net/a-tribute-to-charles-gerhardt-4-part-series/

Oh that looks perfect!  Just what I need.  Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What happened to the pussy cat?

557801e85241f279b1a6c23ab79dc15f.gif

(Coincidentally, the cat's name is Harry)

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

A Bug's Life is a wonderful score, but it needs an expansion ASAP. There's a lot of amazing unreleased cues!

11 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

The 90s were Hans's golden years.

For me, his best era was from 1998 to 2007.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

A Bug's Life is a wonderful score, but it needs an expansion ASAP. There's a lot of amazing unreleased cues!

There are and, as I mentioned somewhere else recently, I think most of the best unreleased cues are the ones with choir as I'm fairly certain the cues contained on the album don't contain choir, so I think it's a Disney cheapness thing. I was lucky enough to pick up the FYC for not much money so have combined it with the OST to produce a complete version (including the film version of Time of Your Life with all the fake bloopers included).

Yesterday evening I was listening to a great summer album from 2013 "Daft Punk - Random Access Memories", then I realized I needed this Moroder score:

Primary