Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

4 minutes ago, Amer said:

Thanks.Only got JP because of the new remastering.

We all did.

Do you think we purchased this new CD for its outstanding cover art? :lol:

It also contains previously unreleased music (the film take/edit of "Journey to the Island") and a version of "Dennis Steals the Embryo" that is actually mixed correctly

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I really should stop exploring on Tidal...

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2Vz859381041047.jpgR-12861308-1556642486-3568.jpeg.jpg29b2ac71a0721c729e4180c4410ddf9c.jpgCH8629.jpgCH8594.jpgvaughan-williams-sinfonia-n-4.jpgCH8554.jpgCH8740.jpgvaughan-williams-sinfonia-antartica.jpgR-8414826-1469345520-9576.jpeg.jpgCH8941.jpg

Definitely not lol. Is the Vaughan-Williams set on Chandos worth a punt? I have the well regarded Previn set and a few odds and other performances of certain symphonies but would be minded to get the Chandos set if it’s good. 

2 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Is the Vaughan-Williams set on Chandos worth a punt? I have the well regarded Previn set and a few odds and other performances of certain symphonies but would be minded to get the Chandos set if it’s good. 

Haha I'm definitely not the person to ask on this. This was my first time listening to them, I didn't even go through all before buying the set. They just looked like a nice complete matching set with handy other pieces to explore too, and I didn't find anything feeling wrong while listening to what I did listen to.

I contacted Bruce at Kritzerland because he mentioned having some of these left in reserve on FSM. 3DC087C0-CAEA-4E54-8E62-FD5D02688587.jpeg

@Disco Stu can you recommend any other Guaraldi albums?  I have the Holiday compilation. 

58 minutes ago, Andy said:

@Disco Stu can you recommend any other Guaraldi albums?  I have the Holiday compilation

Well you absolutely need the original Guaraldi Peanuts album, which is where it all started even before the Christmas special.  A documentary was made about Schulz and the comic strip in 1964.  Guaraldi wrote the music for the documentary and recorded an album.  It went so well that when they did the Christmas special the next year, they asked him to score that too.  Confusingly, the documentary/album is titled "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" but it is NOT the same as the 1969 film which is what that Kritzerland album is for. 

The two volumes of "Lost Cues" are essential for diehards, but maybe not casual fans.  I'm also quite a fan of the "Oh, Good Grief!" album he recorded in '68, which is a bit controversial among fans for some of the electronic keyboards he used for it.  But I love it especially because it's the only officially released recording of a top 5 Peanuts theme for me ("You're in Love, Charlie Brown").

There's also a wonderful live album called "The Charlie Brown Suite & Other Favorites" recording '69.  It features his standard trio augmented with a chamber orchestra!  A very cool experiment.

Other than that, there's leaked scores on Youtube for a few of the specials, but really there's still so much unreleased music.

Here is the original '64 album streaming:

You're in Love, Charlie Brown:

"Peppermint Patty" version from the chamber orchestra suite, I love this version:

20220908_170839.jpg

Randomly looked on MBR to see if I could get Willow with anything... and I saw that this gem got a reexpansion! Ordered there and then.

11 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Marian Schedenig, what's the one on the bottom right, just below Toto?

The new Muse album. Haven't had time to listen to any of them yet.

Well, it's fun, but not as high-octane as Captain Marvel. And it's annoying the series doesn't really let the main theme let loose (at least so far). Listen it on a streaming service before flinging down your hardearned.

2 minutes ago, Cindylover1969 said:

Well, it's fun, but not as high-octane as Captain Marvel. And it's annoying the series doesn't really let the main theme let loose. Listen it on a streaming service before flinging down your hardearned.

Thank you, I will do that!

Hollywood Soundstage, the new John Wilson conducted album of golden age film music on Chandos is well worth a listen. Superbly played and recorded, even if the selections aren't especially original (and weirdly no Rozsa or Herrmann).

Few recently purchased:

• Nate and Hayes by Trevor Jones (LLL)
  • The Reincarnation of Peter Proud  by Jerry Goldsmith(Intrada)
  • Goldsmith at 20th vol. 1 & 2
  • Fat Man and Little Boy by Ennio Morricone (LLL)

And I finally put my hand on the blu-ray of Williams' Violin Concerto n°2

Admission:  James Newton Howard has never won me over.  I've yet to fall in love with his music.  I have Waterworld and Dinosaur.

But there was a melody from Alive that has stuck in my head since I saw the film decades ago.  I figure if that lovely melody has that much staying power in my memory, then $20 for the Intrada is worth giving him another try.

Alive_isc437_600A.jpg