Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

JNW is perhaps the greatest chameleon of all the composers I know. I put him in the same class as Silvestri: their music is elaborated, sometimes the themes are very subtile (well more in their recent works). 

JNH doesn't write the kind of film music you can easily whistle, let's say! But he's got some place in my discography... so much music to discover in more depth in the next years...

20220925_153130.jpg

20220925_153140.jpg

40 minutes ago, Bespin said:

JNH doesn't write the kind of film music you can easily whistle, let's say!

The Waterworld expansion ends with the musicians walking out from the final session and one of them whistling the adventure theme!

Waterworld, I stayed on the idea it was one of the biggest flop ever made. That's a bad Id card for a score, but I still have to discover it, I know it's a must among the fans...

20 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I know it's a must among the fans...

I never understood why. It's fun enough once in a while, but I find it too blunt in its MV leanings to consider it great. In my view, JNH has done much better.

I never saw the movie until last year, and I thought it was quite fun. Certainly not deserving of its turkey reputation.  The adventure theme is definitely hummable.  I bought the OST right after.   I tried the expansion, but I just didn’t connect with all the 90s flutes and such. 

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

A very enjoyable album. Put this on at work today and everyone really enjoyed it. 

61DjYVo9-lL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Karol

Listened tö that as well and found again not every vocal melody works well just played instrumentally. 

Funnily, Madonna's Die Another Day works surprisingly well in that regard. 

But not everything works as well as this Chrissie Hynde song from the living daylights.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

A very enjoyable album. Put this on at work today and everyone really enjoyed it. 

What!? Where do you work?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

What!? Where do you work?

Is there anyone in the world who doesn't enjoy at least some Bond songs? We often have some film music on in the background. Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars. Stuff people recognise. People seem to enjoy it while working as long as it isn't too intrusive. Some random person walked into our office today and said "they felt like they're in a movie". They didn't know instantly what the music was but had some sort of reaction to it as it is so ingrained in our culture. 😀 

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

People seem to enjoy it while working as long as it isn't too intrusive. Some random person walked into our office today and said "they felt like they're in a movie".

Do you ever get people like us who praise your choice of music and start nerd-talking soundtracks?

I once played RUBY CAIRO (John Barry) in the office. At the the end of the cassette run my boss said to me “  I don’t know what you were playing..but I LIKED IT”. 

John Barry always works with the regular folk:D

On 29/09/2022 at 7:15 PM, Jay said:

That's cool!

What kind of office is it?

Oh it is a pharmacy logistics office in a hospital. Everything feels more epic and heroic when you put some film music on. :)

Karol

Just received two OOP titles that I've been searching for a while:

• The Hunt for Red October by Basil Poledouris (Intrada)
  • The River Wild by Goldsmith/Jarre (Intrada)

So do his 3 70s Tchaikovsky ballets, also with the LSO. I bought this purely based on those and a couple quick sample skips -

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Andrew Previews

, if you will! Looking forward to discovering it.

There are currently 3 titles in my cart on my favourite music store, I wait for a fourth title, when are the next announcements?

I would like a JW title...

One day, I'll just try to watch the movie from the begining to the end. To this day, I always stopped it before the end!

It's not about the quality of the work (movie and score), it's about the subject and the mood of it.