Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

44 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Happy listening.

I love this album. Always wanted to have it on vinyl as well. Was looking at getting the Mondo version of the Matessino film programme but, to be honest, the soundtrack recording is all I need in this case. And it was brand new and fairly cheap.

Karol

20 hours ago, Amer said:

Fresh arrivals...20230520_150656.jpg

That's a terrific batch! I can kick myself for gifting my copy of Maurice Jarre at Abbey Road years ago.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Rosenman deserves more credit. He's not for everyone but had a very distinctive voice in film music. Winning or failing, at least he was interesting.

Karol

I never understood why Horner got so much praise for Star Trek, or Goldsmith for the first movie for that matter. Rosenman is better than both.

29 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I never understood why Horner got so much praise for Star Trek, or Goldsmith for the first movie for that matter. Rosenman is better than both.

I don't agree (much though I do actually like Leonard Rosenman) but I'd bet real money that Rosenman thought that! He supposedly claimed to write better tunes than JW...

22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Apparently, Nimoy wanted Rosenman for III, but Bennett went to bat, for Horner.

While I'm glad Bennett got his way, it would have been intriguing to hear a "proper" Rosenman Star Trek score - I think even a James Horner ST IV would have been quite different from II and III.

Rosenman is so out of the box, and not as accessible as many of his contemporaries, but just like James Horner, when you hear Rosenman, you know it. He had a voice that I wish we could say we had today in the sea of sameness. 

The Ballad of the Whale is remarkable. It’s graceful yet awkward at the same time. That it even happened for a Star Trek movie is incredible.  Imagine something like that played at the climax of some nu Trek project. 

I'm quite partial to that brief transitional cue when the Klingon ambassador storms out of the council meeting and the segue to Vulcan takes place. I also love the little bit at the end when we see the shuttle with Kirk and crew inside spacedock.

IMG_20230521_195953.jpg

On 21/05/2023 at 8:09 PM, JTWfan77 said:

I'm quite partial to that brief transitional cue when the Klingon ambassador storms out of the council meeting and the segue to Vulcan takes place. I also love the little bit at the end when we see the shuttle with Kirk and crew inside spacedock.

IMG_20230521_195953.jpg

The best Robin Hood score, if not the best main theme. How's Richard III?

Question. Any recommendations of sites that sell used CDs, other than specific sellers as on Discogs, Amazon and eBay?

I previously used Second Spin, but they sadly closed up shop a couple of years ago.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:
13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Of all the top tier film composers of, roughly, the 90s, Goldenthal was perhaps (and perhaps surprisingly) the best songwriter.

Menken?

Hm. Non-musical songwriter then perhaps. I also deliberately didn't count Randy Newman, because I'd categorise him as the best film composer among the songwriters (and as a top tier song writer, but not a top tier film composer).

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Hm. Non-musical songwriter then perhaps. I also deliberately didn't count Randy Newman, because I'd categorise him as the best film composer among the songwriters (and as a top tier song writer, but not a top tier film composer).

Yes, I understand what you mean. 

Menken and R. Newman were song writers in the first place. Like Danny Elfman, Trent Raznor and Hans Zimmer as well. Different approach to composition.