Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Having a good snort of the materials is a key part in the ritual of admitting a new album to the collection.

It is indeed!

Ordered:

- The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

- Bugs Bunny at the Symphony

- Carrie (2CD)

- Rain Man

Huh, for some reason it comes out on Friday. Thought it was today. But I'll be sure to let you know on Friday, the samples impressed me.

Just checked Amazon, and learned it's an on-demand CDR. Guess this one's a digital download then.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Alexandre Desplat

Hamlet - Patrick Doyle

The Red Violin - John Corigliano

Star Trek (DE) - Michael Giaachino

Band of Brothers - Michael Kamen

Far and Away - JW

Seven Years in Tibet - JW

Stepmom - JW

Sleepers - JW

Nixon - JW

Summon the Heroes - JW

Decided to catch up on some of the lesser known Williams.

I can't believe how utterly beautiful the main title to Seven Years in Tibet is. How did I not know about this before?!

Girl Talk - Feed The Animals (physical CD)

Michael Franti & Spearhead - The Sound Of Sunshine

Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More

Weezer - Hurley

Weezer - Death To False Metal

Weezer - Pinkerton (Deluxe)

Gearing up for all the big film scores to buy in Nov/Dec...

"Lawrence Of Arabia" - Tadlow complete,

"Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome" - Tadlow complete,

"Stargate": Varese Sarabande,

"The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes",

"Harry Potter and the You-Know-What",

"Doctor Who: Series 30-The Specials",

"Doctor Who: Series 31".

Cinderella Liberty (only $13 on Amazon! Get it fast if you need it!)

and because it's that time of year...

Hollyridge Strings Christmas Favorites

Voices of Walter Schumann - The Voices of Christmas

Poledouris: Conan the Barbarian (Nic Raine re-rec)

The Beach Boys: Surfin' Safari/Surfin' U.S.A.

The Beach Boys: Today!/Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!)

The Beach Boys: Smiley Smile/Wild Honey

The Beach Boys: Sunflower/Surf's Up

David Bowie: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

David Bowie: Hunky Dory

Bruckner: Symphony #5 (Munich, Thielemann)

Vaughan Williams et al: The Vagabond (Bryn Terfel) - bought this one for the original Songs of Travel

Vaughan Williams et al: Songs of Travel/On Wenlock Edge (Tear, Allen, Rattle) - bought this one for the orchestral Songs of Travel

Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on Christmas Carols/Hodie (Rose/Willcocks)

Marian, do you know any good recording of Vaughan-Williams' 4th Symphony? Or, as I prefer to call it: The Klingon Symphony. :P I tried to find one in a local stores, but couldn't make up my mind.

Karol

Cinderella Liberty (only $13 on Amazon! Get it fast if you need it!)

and because it's that time of year...

Hollyridge Strings Christmas Favorites

Voices of Walter Schumann - The Voices of Christmas

"Cinderella Liberty" for $13?! Damn, but that's good value!

Poledouris: Conan the Barbarian (Nic Raine re-rec)

The Beach Boys: Surfin' Safari/Surfin' U.S.A.

The Beach Boys: Today!/Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!)

The Beach Boys: Smiley Smile/Wild Honey

The Beach Boys: Sunflower/Surf's Up

David Bowie: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

David Bowie: Hunky Dory

Bruckner: Symphony #5 (Munich, Thielemann)

Vaughan Williams et al: The Vagabond (Bryn Terfel) - bought this one for the original Songs of Travel

Vaughan Williams et al: Songs of Travel/On Wenlock Edge (Tear, Allen, Rattle) - bought this one for the orchestral Songs of Travel

Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on Christmas Carols/Hodie (Rose/Willcocks)

Are your Bowie c.d.s the E.M.I. re-releases from about 10 years ago, or are they the Ryko releases from about 20 years ago-the one with extra tracks?

Marian, do you know any good recording of Vaughan-Williams' 4th Symphony? Or, as I prefer to call it: The Klingon Symphony. :P I tried to find one in a local stores, but couldn't make up my mind.

Karol

Vernon Handley is regarded as one of the best interpreters of Vaughan-Williams' work. Roger Norrington started to record all the symphonies, but I'm not sure how far he got. The Hicox "London" is interesting, especially as it features unheard music. I've heard that the Haitink ones aren't bad.

The 4th was the first RVW piece I'd ever heard, back in an LPO concert in Vienna ca. 1996. Reminded me of some of the darker music from Jurassic Park. I picked up Bernstein's NYP recording (on that Prince of Wales edition series by Sony) a bit later. I never really listened to it all that often though; symphony-wise, I'm still mostly limited to the first two and Antartica, even though I have all of them.

Most will tell you you can't go wrong with Boult or Haitink, though I haven't heard either for the 4th. This set is a very easy recommendation in any case: All the symphonies, plus some other stuff, and excellent recordings, too, for a very good price. I originally picked this up because I read several reviews which singled out the Tallis Fantasia as the best recording of the piece, and of those I have, it probably is.

Are your Bowie c.d.s the E.M.I. re-releases from about 10 years ago, or are they the Ryko releases from about 20 years ago-the one with extra tracks?

The EMI "David Bowie Series" releases, no bonus tracks. I picked them up because they were cheap and I felt it was time to finally start a Bowie collection... from what I understand, the earlier releases had some mixing errors though, so these are probably the better ones anyway?

Vernon Handley is regarded as one of the best interpreters of Vaughan-Williams' work. Roger Norrington started to record all the symphonies, but I'm not sure how far he got. The Hicox "London" is interesting, especially as it features unheard music. I've heard that the Haitink ones aren't bad.

It was actually Norrington conducting the LPO in that 4th I heard live. I love Hickox' London recording (and the Butterworth track is lovely, too).

The 4th was the first RVW piece I'd ever heard, back in an LPO concert in Vienna ca. 1996. Reminded me of some of the darker music from Jurassic Park. I picked up Bernstein's NYP recording (on that Prince of Wales edition series by Sony) a bit later. I never really listened to it all that often though; symphony-wise, I'm still mostly limited to the first two and Antartica, even though I have all of them.

Most will tell you you can't go wrong with Boult or Haitink, though I haven't heard either for the 4th. This set is a very easy recommendation in any case: All the symphonies, plus some other stuff, and excellent recordings, too, for a very good price. I originally picked this up because I read several reviews which singled out the Tallis Fantasia as the best recording of the piece, and of those I have, it probably is.

Thank for both your comments. I will most definitely check out some of these (the price of this set is encouraging). I always wanted to listen to this symphony in full. I know some bits, of course, but not the whole work. I recall hearing some of it in the old Leonard Bernstein program for kids and absolutely loved it.

Besides, there are so many recordings of different pieces so that I'm sometimes lost.

Karol

I ordered Family Plot from Varese. I cannot wait!

I also bought the 30 Rock soundtrack on iTunes, and I'm glad I did. Definitely worth it - the jazzy stuff is really nice to listen to, and the vocal stuff is pretty darn hilarious.

The Replacement Killers by HGW. I've never heard it before so it could suck, but it was 50p in a charity shop.

If you're familiar with his Metal Gear Solid scores, it's pretty much the same. This is the score that made Hideo Kojima want HGW for the games.

Received The Next Three Days by Danny Elfman

Recently received...

Herrmann's The Snows of Kilimanjaro (Marco Polo)

Steiner's She (Tribute) - Not normally a big Steiner fan, but this one...wow!

Broughton's Glory & Honor (Intrada)

McCreary's Human Target (La-La Land)

Goldsmith's iso scores from the Thriller DVD set

On Amazon mp3, I got:

The 99 Darkest Pieces of Classical Music - $1.99

The 99 Most Essential Christmas Masterpieces - $1.99

The Orange Mountain Music Philip Glass Sampler Vol.I - FREE

"Sugar Rum Cherry" by Duke Ellington - $0.99

In total, it cost me $2 (I used the $3 promotional coupon).

If anybody out there is, like me, trying to embrace classical music more, then these are two fantastic purchases. They're ridiculously cheap quality recordings of a variety of different styles and composers (even though it's labeled "Darkest Pieces," there's quite a few that aren't dark at all). They've got some of the more well known pieces (Ride of the Valykries, In the Hall of the Mountain King, Danse Mecabre) but they also have a bunch I've never heard of (Fratres For Strings And Percussion, RV 621: I. Stabat Mater Dolorosa, etc.). For $4 ($1 if you act quickly and live in the USA), this is one of the best bargains I've ever seen. I mean, this is better than that time the Blue Box was mistakenly listed for $40.

I'd encourage everyone to get the Philip Glass work, since it's completely free! I've only ever heard The Illusionist, so this is a great way to become more familiar with his other works (both for film and concert hall). I haven't had a chance to listen to it entirely yet, but the piece that has really stood out to me so far is "The Grid." It's fantastic.

"Sugar Rum Cherry" is a jazz interpretation of "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" from the Nutcracker. It's great to listen to, I really love it.

The Family Plot

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing: Low-quantity alert triggered a panic reaction. Had to buy it before they run out. :P

John Goldfarb Please Come Home: on Holiday sale on SAE. Under 10$!

Also reserving money for the La-La-Land's Black Friday batch. Wallet is begging for mercy at this point of the year. So much good stuff has come out. Almost too much.

The Family Plot

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing: Low-quantity alert triggered a panic reaction. Had to buy it before they run out. :P

John Goldfarb Please Come Home: on Holiday sale on SAE. Under 10$!

Also reserving money for the La-La-Land's Black Friday batch. Wallet is begging for mercy at this point of the year. So much good stuff has come out. Almost too much.

Incancus, you can NEVER have too much good music!

I'd encourage everyone to get the Philip Glass work, since it's completely free!

I like his music for The Hours but haven't checked out his other stuff.

Thanks for the tip. Downloading now.

If anybody out there is, like me, trying to embrace classical music more...

That would be me. ;)

Thanks for pointing out that Classical Music set. I hadn't seen it.

I think I'll just buy it outright. (Already spent my freebies...)

I only just now received my MM order of SpaceCamp, Tadlow's Lawrence of Arabia, and JG's Under Fire that I placed on 8/16.

I placed another MM order for Family Plot, Captain Nemo and the Underwater City, First Blood complete, Patton, and Black Sea Raid. Since they will be limited by the early December release of the latest, I'll have plenty of time to manually add LLR's releases tomorrow to this order.

Christmas. It's not for giving anymore as long as there are soundtracks to be had.

I only just now received my MM order of SpaceCamp, Tadlow's Lawrence of Arabia, and JG's Under Fire that I placed on 8/16.

I placed another MM order for Family Plot, Captain Nemo and the Underwater City, First Blood complete, Patton, and Black Sea Raid. Since they will be limited by the early December release of the latest, I'll have plenty of time to manually add LLR's releases tomorrow to this order.

Christmas. It's not for giving anymore as long as there are soundtracks to be had.

"Under Fire" is one the finest scores of the 1980s. You won't be disappointed.

Ha! :D

I just found that CD in a bin of the family's old CDs.

Nothing great, but it's pretty fun(ny).

EDIT: It just occurred to me that there are dozens of "Big Band Christmas" albums and that the likelihood ours being the same is next to zero. :mellow:

I'm high on turkey I think.

Ha! :D

I just found that CD in a bin of the family's old CDs.

Nothing great, but it's pretty fun(ny).

EDIT: It just occurred to me that there are dozens of "Big Band Christmas" albums and that the likelihood ours being the same is next to zero. :mellow:

I'm high on turkey I think.

:lol: Mine has big green writing, a saxophone, and a red ribbon with 4 of the pieces listed on the cover.

Nope, not it. :P

Mine has some sheet music behind a close up of what I think is a trombone (or some other brass instrument).

"Over 1 Hour of Big Band Christmas Music" by MasterTone!

I'm not one who can really tell, but I think it might be all synth actually.

Reminds me of the music from the snow levels of Diddy Kong Racing.

Ordered:

- Conan the Barbarian (2CD)

- Lawrence of Arabia (2CD)

- The Bourne Identity

Received! <_< Now I need to get ASAP Home Alone, Star Trek V, Batman Returns and First Blood. What a year for us soundtrack junkies and what a Phantom Zone, an eternal void in our poor wallets! :P

Finally purchased Deathly Hallows (digital download) and Doctor Who Series 5 (CD - liner notes are always outstanding, plus I have all previous releases on CD, shame to break the chain).

I expect my last 2 purchases of the year to be Home Alone and Dawn Treader, with a very tentative hope that Intrada might interest me on the 14th.

In addition to the Yo-Yo Ma and Potter set, and upcoming Family Plot and Home Alone grails, I decided to fill some gaps and expand my JW horizon a bit more. I got the Boston Pops We Wish You a Merry Christmas, Five Sacred Trees and the Polydor Raiders for cheap.