Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Most recent new releases, La-La Land's Hook and Planet of the Apes.

Filling in collection holes: Elfman's Flubber and The Frighteners; Davis' Jurassic Park III; Silvestri's Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life and Van Helsing; Giacchino's John Carter (excellent!) and Speed Racer.

After constantly listening to the first Conan score for the past few days, I decided to pick up Tadlow's Conan The Destroyer (which I'm not familar with at all) as well as their Lawrence of Arabia. Just can't get enough of those - I think I'm in love!

Karol

I'll let you know when I get it net week.

In the meantime I also bought Elliot Goldenthal's Cobb for next to nothing. From the very few clips I heard (very few, mind you) it sounds like a forgotten masterpiece.

Karol

Cobb is absolutely terrific. It's amazing how cheap you can get it. Can't go wrong with that one, if you had paid 20 bucks for it

After constantly listening to the first Conan score for the past few days, I decided to pick up Tadlow's Conan The Destroyer (which I'm not familar with at all) as well as their Lawrence of Arabia. Just can't get enough of those - I think I'm in love!

Karol

I love their re-recordings, and I'd consider El Cid and Lawrence to be their pinacles (not necessarily the best scores they have ever recorded, but rather the instances in which the re-recording improved on the score the most).

A complete re-recording of Quo Vadis by these guys is pretty much as exciting as it gets

I haven't gotten to check out Cobb yet, but I tend to enjoy pretty much anything Goldenthal writes, hopefully I'll remember to pick it up sometime. I will say though that I'm no fan of Conan the Destroyer, even after the rerecording. The main title is awesome, but the rest of it just bores me to death. A lot of cut and paste from Barbarian and the original material just doesn't strike me as interesting. I can't blame Poledouris considering the situation he was in, but I just can't enjoy the music.

Barbarian I honestly believe to be one of the greats, though!

El Cid was my number one all-time wanted score in complete release, and so Tadlow's album was a dream come true.

I adore the Conan the Barbarian release. Exodus is good but doesn't get a lot of play time.

I have yet to tag and listen to Lawrence at all. Conan the Destroyer and Taras Bulba have been tagged, but I've listened to only a few minutes of each.

Those are the only Tadlow releases that I own.

I love their re-recordings, and I'd consider El Cid and Lawrence to be their pinacles (not necessarily the best scores they have ever recorded, but rather the instances in which the re-recording improved on the score the most).

A complete re-recording of Quo Vadis by these guys is pretty much as exciting as it gets

I'm so excited for Quo Vadis, words cannot even describe!

El Cid is wonderful and one of my absolute favorite scores, I wrote a research paper on it in early 2009 that my college published, albeit in a heavily edited form because of length limitations.

Lawrence was a very good recording, but I feel that Taras Bulba and Sherlock Holmes were bigger revelations. Quo Vadis is certain to be at that level too.

In the meantime I also bought Elliot Goldenthal's Cobb for next to nothing. From the very few clips I heard (very few, mind you) it sounds like a forgotten masterpiece.

Cobb is brilliant. :)

HOOK finally arrived, together with my SAE haul: STAR TREK IV, STAR TREK VI, THE BLACK HOLE, JOHN CARTER, ALIEN, LOGAN'S RUN and BLACK SUNDAY.

Now that's an awesome haul. :)

Here.

Karol

Kilar is celebrating his 80th birthday as well it seems. :)

Hook 2 CD (Williams)

Ben-Hur 5 CD (Rosza)

Batman 2 CD (Elfman)

Batman Returns 2 CD (Elfman)

Poltergeist (Goldsmith)

Largest order I've done in a long time.

But I felt like it in celebration of Hook.

Got myself an Easter Egg

Alien.jpg

Karol - who also bought ST: FC today

You are in for a spooky Easter then. Are you sure Easter bunny isn't too scared to arrive at your door when he hears that music. Great choice though. :)

Hook 2 CD (Williams)

Ben-Hur 5 CD (Rosza)

Batman 2 CD (Elfman)

Batman Returns 2 CD (Elfman)

Poltergeist (Goldsmith)

Largest order I've done in a long time.

But I felt like it in celebration of Hook.

Wow. Yet another impressive line-up. You have some heavy duty listening to do when you get all those. :lol:

I wish my wallet would allow such purchases. I am still hoping to get both Batmans and Ben-Hur in the future though.

Decided to rebuy the U.E. for The Phantom Menace, so I could have the "original case". I needed to buy me new copy anyways and got this one for fairly cheap.

Crocodile's Alien and Alexander's Home Alone deserve my vote for best recent purchases in this thread. :D Plus everybody's Hooks of course. :D

I've had the old single disc release of the original tracks for years (Map of Jerusalem has long been one of my very favorite cues; the love theme is beyond gorgeous), but this blows it out of the water soundwise. And it's a much more satisfying listening experience; The Crucifixion alone made it worth the upgrade.

Oh, and now I can play this and Demetrius and the Gladiators back-to-back!

Adding to the ever-expanding Goldsmith collection...

BABY: SECRET OF THE LOST LEGEND

LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION

CHRISTUS APOLLO

31D-QXk6QzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've been waiting for this one for a long time.

It's really excellent. Enjoy it!

Any more detail about this release? You're my Golden Age guide, you know. :)

Karol

If I had to comment on the style the score is in, I'd say it is a much closer cousin to Alex North's Cleopatra, and Spartacus (to a lesser extent) than to the Ròzsa epics, or Tiomkin's Roman Empire.

There is a lot of small ensemble stuff, as I think someone on FSM mentioned. The big stuff is really grand, but there are no huge sweeping melodic lines. The love theme is beautiful, though very sad. The Christ theme stresses mystery and the spirtual unknown. The score as a whole is fairly dark.

The sound is great on the release, you can hear so much of what is going on. Really impressive for what is really one of the earliest stereo film scores.

i find it much more accessible than the North scores though. And it has an awesome choral piece. And a bit that might well have been temp tracked into Star Wars.

Any comment on sound quality compared to the previous 2CD release?

All I had was MP3s of the previous release, but I feel that this one sounds much clearer.

It definitely is more accesible than North's scores, but I feel like Cleopatra owes a lot to Newman's approach.

Received my order of Poltergeist, Ben-Hur (5CD), Batman and Batman Returns.

My first listen (outside the movie) of Poltergeist. Most excellent.

Diving into Ben-Hur now ...

My first listen (outside the movie) of Poltergeist. Most excellent.

Twisted Abduction remains one of my top Goldsmith tracks.

Diving into Ben-Hur now ...

Took me about a week to get through that set. And what a surprise to find true alternates among the alternates. The original Entr'acte is fantastic.