Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I'm never getting a break with the label constantly releasing new stuff. Here's the latest batch:

Goldsmith: The Shadow 2CD

Goodwin: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Korngold: Elizabeth and Essex - Classic Film Scores (Gerhardt) - replacing an old CDR

Mansell: The Fountain - replacing a download

Rota: Music for Film (Muti)

Steiner: Now Voyager - Clsasic Film Scores (Gerhardt)

Vangelis: Chariots of Fire

Young: Entrapment

I somewhat begrudgingly and finally got the 2011 remastered deluxe version of Innuendo by Queen. The greatest album of all time? Yes.

Anyway, I'll try this remaster out and I'll definitely keep the bonus tracks. The consensus among the hardcore audiophile Queen fans is that the 2011 remasters were typically just louder and compressed. However, Queen and Queen II did benefit from the remasters.

I have all the 2011 remasters and the 2005 release of Night at the Opera and the 93 News of the World. I haven't really noticed a difference between the two Operas, but the 2011 News sounds much better than the flat 93 version.

Young: Entrapment

How is that one?

After one listen: Pretty much as you'd expect. Traces of Species and the later The Core, with a slight Basic Instinct vibe and the usual dash of Aliens.

I too have amassed another large shopping cart at LaLa Land and Intrada. Just waiting to place the orders. There's seven Goldsmiths in there... Shadow, Great Train Robbery, etc.

Non score discs I recently picked up were the first 12 of the Frank Zappa reissues. A few - Burnt Weenie Sandwich, Chunga's Revenge, Absolutely Free and Hot Rats - are a revelation.

You call that a binge? I'm about to plunk down $200 on Intrada titles soon :P

It's a small binge nonetheless. As I recall, I spent a pretty penny several weeks ago on my large TMP order, and weeks before that with the mono box set. They're adding up, and as long as I can keep myself from ordering the $400 video card I have my eye on, they might stay small.

I went on a small binge on Amazon marketplace. Got this lot for an average of £4 each:

(I've got bits of the JW scores, but for ~£2 each, can't say no)

Amistad

Seven Years in Tibet

Far & Away

Backdraft

X-Files: I Want to Believe

X-Files: Fight the Future

X-Files: The Truth and the Light

The Last Castle

Decided to wait for some 'extended samples' before buying North by Northwest. Some key cues (not samples on their site) need to sound a lot better to be worth it.

Saw A Copland Celebration: Volume 3 (Vocal and Choral Works), a 2 disc set, for only $6. I've been meaning to sample some Copland so I bought it. The release includes:

- 10 "old American songs" (I'm guessing these were just arranged by Copland)

- 12 Poems of Emily Dickinson

- In the Beginning

- The Tender Land

Just got Daniel Barenboim's recording of the Beethoven symphonies (http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Nine-Symphonies-Box-Set/dp/B00076YOPY/). A friend alerted me to this one, I'd been looking at Karajans almost exclusively. For under $19 including shipping, I don't have huge expectations, but the samples sound good.

I have and love the Karajans (the 60s cycle, supposedly his best). I'm also having an eye on the Gardiner, which is cheap and supposed to be great. And the price point shouldn't dictate your expectations. There are great cheap recordings, and there are expensive not so good ones. Plus all these reissues with high profile names usually have good prices. You can get all sorts of complete first cycles around €20 to 25.

You call that a binge? I'm about to plunk down $200 on Intrada titles soon :P

A few years ago, I spent £240 (about $400) on soundtracks, but it did include The Blue Box, all three volumes of Amazing Stories, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and the Intrada 2-CDs of Alien, and The Boys From Brazil, among others. Worth every penny!

The most I ever spent on a single CD was £60 ($90) on the Hook 2-CD boot.

I have ROTK on amazonMP3 already (stupid decision), so ROTK will mainly be bought for the 5.1 DVD's now (hoping I will be able to remove some of the cast performances.)

Just got Daniel Barenboim's recording of the Beethoven symphonies (http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00076YOPY/). A friend alerted me to this one, I'd been looking at Karajans almost exclusively. For under $19 including shipping, I don't have huge expectations, but the samples sound good.

This is the set of Beethoven's symphonies that I own, simply because it was dirt cheap at Walmart. It's on my list of albums that I intend to re-rip into FLAC, which is basically every CD I have owned longer than four years when I started archiving in high bitrates. I've started with Jaws and the first two LOTR CR's. Fun fun fun. Back to the Beethoven tin can, it's an ok set, I guess. I don't like the slow temp of the Sixth because I'm used to the more uptempo presentation from Fantasia, but anybody with a decent sized classical music collection ends up with several versions of most of the symphonies anyways.

~*~

Richard, I own all of those albums you mention, and I agree!

I prefer removing the cast singing in the LOTR scores too. If I want to hear them sing I'll watch the movie. i don't need them over my score.

I think it depends... if its a real song, then I may include it, if its just a some snatch of a VERY slight melody.. no.

I'm personally not a fan of listening to ANY cast performances when trying to enjoy Shore's score, but i do agree that The Edge of Night, Eowyn's funeral song, and Liv Tyler's song are better than the two Ian's brief ditties or Aragorn's mumbling, etc.

Guess who's a dummy that didn't update his shipping address! Sigh... I get to wait a couple more days for Ludwig van.

On the bright side though, just pounced on this: Nibelungen (Janowski). Like new, $14 (a dollar a disc, not too bad) and by all accounts it's a pretty good recording. And the seller's in Cali as well, so the wait won't be as long. This is exciting!

On the bright side though, just pounced on this: Nibelungen (Janowski). Like new, $14 (a dollar a disc, not too bad) and by all accounts it's a pretty good recording. And the seller's in Cali as well, so the wait won't be as long. This is exciting!

I'm rather interested in this myself. Seems to be getting pretty good reviews. And Theo Adam as Wotan with better sound quality than on the (excellent) old Böhm Ring is tempting.

I was going to save my pennies for the Solti, but for $14 and those reviews, what kind of idiot would pass THAT up? :lol:

If you buy it before I get through the whole set (which'll take a while), let me know what you think!

61Jkuogs6oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61iKyNi5UKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41NjGybXH3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thought about pre-ordering the new Dave Matthews Band and Matchbox 20 albums as well but decided I'd rather listen to them first before committing. The C&C album was $7

I picked up Sinatra's album Come Fly With Me as well as a live recording of Shostakovich's 5th symphony and Mendelssohn's 4th, performed by the Wiener Philharmonic.

I just got stupid expensive again.

Battlestar Galactica: Volume 3

Sleeping with the Enemy

The Long Goodbye

Sunset

Battlestar Galactica: Mini-Series

Battlestar Galactica: Season 1

Battlestar Galactica: Season 3

Battlestar Galactica: Season 4

Battlestar Galactica: Plan/Razor

Caprica

Pretty sure he means Dylan. It's a great album, but it'll probably take a few more listens for me to really latch onto it. Regardless, it's Dylan in true form. I just love how there are only 10 songs yet it runs over an hour long.

"Tin Angel" is my favorite so far.

I have $10 in Amazon MP3 credit. What should I spend it on? I'm leaning towards non-score stuff, since I buy all those on CD anyways. Jay, Trent H, have any recommendations?

I've been thinking of trying out Foster The People, since they don't turn me off completely.

I love the Foster The People album! Probably gotten the most spins from me of any pop/rock album the last year. Though, I tend to skip over Pumped Up Kicks whenever I listen to it, since that song is so overplayed. For a while my favorite tracks were Houdini and Helena Beat, but they they became singles, then I saw them in concert (AMAZING show, TONS of energy) and I loved Miss You, Call It What You Want and Don't Stop, now by favorite tracks are Warrant and Life On A Nickel. Warrant is especially awesome.

Too bad you don't like Garfunkel and Oates, their most recent album is still only available electronically so there is no physical version to worry about :)

Are you familiar with Ida Maria at all? Really cool rocker chick from Norway. Her second album still isn't available physically in the US, though her first album is better anyway. She has some fun songs