Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Nice!

Dang it's now $12! Anyone who's interested should grab it from them. Only 2 left in stock.

Correction, only 19 left in stock! The internet age is quick! ;)

But I am getting one today! It is about time I get this score!

Karol, have you listened to Davis' opera yet? Very curious to know what you think of it.

It's more accessible than I expected. Not sure how would it rank among modern classical repertoire, but seems like a really solid job to me. Having said that, I have a hard time getting into opera in general, despite its obvious connections to film music.

Karol

Nice!

Dang it's now $12! Anyone who's interested should grab it from them. Only 2 left in stock.

Correction, only 19 left in stock! The internet age is quick! ;)

But I am getting one today! It is about time I get this score!

We don't have time... to talk about time... What was I saying? It's a primitive culture...

It's the same with me for whatever reason. I suppose I prefer my drama/storytelling to not be directly injected into the music.

But the composer being who he is, and knowing the tenor in the lead "villain" role, I checked it out a while back. Davis' work is interesting to me. His concert music sound-world is really singular and not exactly easy listening. For me, it was maybe a bit too long, a bit unsettling in some vague way, but I believe that was the point. There's also an anecdote, from Davis' son I think, that implies much of the "dysfunctional family" element is a reflection of the composer's actual relationships.

I should listen to it again.

Karol, have you listened to Davis' opera yet? Very curious to know what you think of it.

It's more accessible than I expected. Not sure how would it rank among modern classical repertoire, but seems like a really solid job to me. Having said that, I have a hard time getting into opera in general, despite its obvious connections to film music.

Karol

He seems to be a very sarcastic, dry-witted person. But also a very intelligent one and self-deprecating. Not sure if I can make any kind of assessment what could he be like in private life. Your guess is as good as mine.

I was wondering. What do you think of him as a composer in general? As a someone who knows much more about music than myself, I mean? He doesn't seem to treat himself very seriously and even said that he's more of a recycler of greater ideas. ;)

Karol

He's a master orchestrator/textureist (new word?). I've only heard the bits of his concert pieces that you can hear on his website; some of them are a little too dense and angular for me, at least without repeated listenings and full context, but some of it is right up my alley. I've not heard much if any "recycling." He strikes me as a pretty original voice. Even when he ventures into more overtly tonal territory in his film music, it's refreshingly original. The only time I've ever felt a little underwhelmed by any of his ideas is "The Eye and the Pyramid" where he adopts a more generic Hollywood sound, which isn't surprising since it was written for the Hollywood Bowl I think.

Apparently, Conrad Pope said Davis' sketches for The Matrix sequels were pretty much as complete as John Williams'. In this "short score" format, or whatever it's called.

Karol

What about the more dissonant moments. Like the contrapuntal atonal writing for the machines, those brass and string clusters, and the perpetual motion passages with rolling low register pianos, elbow clusters, snap pizzicato and anvils?

Don't say Penderecki or Horner.

First Contact was my first Trek album (on cassette) and in many ways, I'm still nostalgic towards it. I still own the OST CD, but of course I bought the expansion. Yes, Flight of the Phoenix is a standout track, and was my favorite of the footwarmer I wore out.

Rich

Hmm, First Contact might have been my first Goldsmith Trek too.... Can't remember if I had the Sony TMP already or not.

My first Star Trek score was the 1999 20th anniversary collector's edition of TMP.

I just ordered the complete ST First Contact along with Bruce Broughton conducted re-recording of Miklós Rózsa's Julius Caesar and John Williams and Boston Pops album I Love a Parade.

On my shopping list for the future: All the other Star Trek scores, more Rózsa (perhaps finally the FSM Ben-Hur set) and a good deal of Goldsmith and some JW concert and festive works. Darn I should throw in also most of the Tadlow re-recordings as well. :P

Hmm, First Contact might have been my first Goldsmith Trek too....

It was mine. I didn't like Goldsmith in the beginning, and watching the film, I particularly disliked his version of the Courage fanfare compared to Eidelman's. But a while later I heard a MIDI of the main titles on the internet and actually liked them, so I eventually picked up the score.

Hmm, First Contact might have been my first Goldsmith Trek too....

It was mine. I didn't like Goldsmith in the beginning, and watching the film, I particularly disliked his version of the Courage fanfare compared to Eidelman's. But a while later I heard a MIDI of the main titles on the internet and actually liked them, so I eventually picked up the score.

I remember thinking he was being lazy. You have to understand I expected balletic Star Wars-like music at the time. It took me some time to warm up to his style.

Karol

My first Star Trek score was the 1999 20th anniversary collector's edition of TMP.

I just ordered the complete ST First Contact along with Bruce Broughton conducted re-recording of Miklós Rózsa's Julius Caesar and John Williams and Boston Pops album I Love a Parade.

On my shopping list for the future: All the other Star Trek scores, more Rózsa (perhaps finally the FSM Ben-Hur set) and a good deal of Goldsmith and some JW concert and festive works. Darn I should throw in also most of the Tadlow re-recordings as well. :P

Canc, try the Tadlow "El Cid". It's good. Then try the re-recorded "The Private Lives Of Sherlock Holmes", and then "Time After Time".

Canc, try the Tadlow "El Cid". It's good. Then try the re-recorded "The Private Lives Of Sherlock Holmes", and then "Time After Time".

I already own the Tadlow El Cid and Quo Vadis sets, which are both indeed fantastic and have heard the Private Lives of Sherlock Holmes, which I am definitely picking up soon.

What? As late as 1996 you didnt like Goldsmith?

I nearly wanked myself into a coma with joy when I saw a few clips on the film on TV and it featured score that could have only been Jerry's!

You know the story.

I didn't see Great Train Robbery until 97 or 98.

...and I did tape the end credits off Gremlins 2 around '90. ;)

I've watched only a handful of the films Goldsmith has scored: Seven Days in May, Patton, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Secrets of NIMH, I.Q., and Mulan. Obviously, it wasn't moviegoing that made me a Goldsmith fan. I think FSM deserves the credit.

I ordered from SAE the new Intrada release of Young Sherlock Holmes and I bundled it together with Unbreakable by JNH and Music from the Edge by John Corigliano.

CREEPSHOW - John Harrison

On CD http://www.lalalandrecords.com/CreepShowLE.html

2rhpkc9.jpg

and today, I picked it up on VINYL! http://waxworkrecords.com/product/creepshow/

iokjlh.jpg

This is my first boutique vinyl, and the first new sealed vinyl I've bought since the 80s. I opted for the "white cake with blood spatter" vinyl variant.

Creepshow is not just my favorite horror movie, it's probably in my top 5 movies of all time. Seriously, it's a masterpiece.

It's an interesting score, made up of old library production music, and original electronic score by John Harrison. The La-La Land CD is a welcome addition, but still incredibly incomplete, and seems to have some incorrect alternates as well that are neither film versions, nor original album tracks. I'm still going to try and make my own edit of the library tracks and as much as the Harrison score as I have.

Yeah, this new trend of boutique vinyl soundtracks is kinda neat. I'm not full in, but it's fun to cherry pick old favorites.

Human Target - Bear McCreary

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Bear McCreary

Tora! Tora! Tora! - Jerry Goldsmith

Wyatt Earp - James Newton Howard

Hooray for La-La Land's spring blowout!

Psycho II - Jerry Goldsmith

The Sum Of All Fears - Jerry Goldsmith

Lair - John Debney

The Unknown Known - Danny Elfman

Switch the second one on your list with Broughton's Sherlock and you get my shopping list. :)

Karol

Placed an order with MovieMusic, since they still had Flight of the Intruder in stock (It's officially OOP at Intrada.com), and threw in two Kritzerland's with it

Flight of the Intruder (Intrada Special Collection Volume 227) qty = 1 $19.99 each

Rising Sun (expanded) (Kritzerland KR200265) qty = 1 $19.99 each

Alien Nation (Kritzerland KR200264) qty = 1 $19.99 each

Items Subtotal: $59.97

Sales Tax: $0.00

Shipping: $1.00

Order Total: $60.97

Love their $1 shipping!