Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Today I bought 5 CDs (all used, all OST albums). Recently I can't get enough of buying second-hand CDs, it seems. It's a bit addictive. But these were just 22 bucks total.... A bargain! :D

1. Russia House (Jerry Goldsmith) Finally!

2. Starship Troopers (Basil Poledouris)

3. Angie (Jerry Goldsmith)

4. Die Another Day (David Arnold)

5. Mission Impossible (Danny Elfman) the score album, obviously 

All in all, I'm very pleased. I'm especially happy about Russia House since I know the score already and know how fantastic it is.

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

5. Mission Impossible (Danny Elfman) the score album, obviously 

Thanks for buying this, this ensures an expanded album will finally happen!

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thanks for buying this, this ensures an expanded album will finally happen!

I liked the 3 score tracks on the regular OST album well enough. But I hope the material on this score album gets much better! 

7 hours ago, azahid said:

Ben Hur - Tadlows newest Rozsa offering is terrific. A great new recording which isnt the usual suite but the actual film score. Truth be told, we had enough of the rerecorded suites. Listening to the full score non stop is just a great way to enjoy the music in its narrative form. It finally joins the  slew of other classic re-recordings of Rozsa classic film elite such as EL CID, SODOM AND GOMMORAH, QUO VADIS? and THIEF OF BAGDAD. 

The OST on the FSM label is yet unique and terrific sounding on its own and the whole 5cd set is indespensible with the various suites

IMG_20170929_151914_134.jpg

How's the performance of the orchestra? The Prague Philharmonic is getting quite a reputation for film score rerecordings!

28 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

How's the performance of the orchestra? The Prague Philharmonic is getting quite a reputation for film score rerecordings!

That, I believe, is your answer. Right there.

Karol

22 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Got War of the Worlds by JW for €2.99 second hand today 

Nice!

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

That, I believe, is your answer. Right there.

Karol

Indeed. They are very adept Rózsa interpreters by now.:) 

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Mate, I don't need to say anything. Just check this out.

As for some other thoughts @Josh500...

One thing I will mention is that this album might be become somewhat controversial for some listeners. It is  the complete score, as heard in the film, but it does feature some previously unrecorded material as well as some cues that are orchestrated in a slightly different way. So the purists who want the film versions will bemoan the fact there are no alternates. To be honest, I wouldn't mind to have a third disc with some concert versions and bunch of alternates. But, other than that, it is excellent. If you're going to release Ben-Hur for the millionth time you might as well do it this way so that you get to surprise people with some nuggets here and there.

Another thing that might bother some will be the fact they combined some cues into longer tracks. I actually prefer it this way as there is no worse way to experience a mammoth of a score starting and stopping every minute or two. But it will bother some.

There is no track-by-track analysis, just a general overview. But then, they point out this score is so well researched and covered that all they need to do is to you refer to other sources for further reading. One of them is the almost 200-page analysis from Rozsa's estate website.

Do you need another Ben-Hur album? Well, this is a bit harder to answer because now we have three version of the expanded score available in print and all of them sound great. It is the type of score that is almost to dense to be listened to in one go. I usually just listen to one of the LP programmes available on the FSM set. And the 157-minute listen earlier this morning was quite an undertaking. But hey, you get to choose and you can't really go wrong with either this or Rhino versions from years ago. They're all great.

Karol

Hmmm, interesting insight, thanks! :)

I was never really interested in Ben Hur (the only time I listened to this is Parade of the Charioteers when JW conducted it), but I might give it a try.... Movie and score! 

1 minute ago, Fal said:

Who did you guys order it from to get it so early?

I suspect straight from the label.

Yeah, Tadlow orders started to ship early (as usual, really). This is from the FSM board:

Rest of World Orders shipped (shipping) from Tadlow on Sept 22 and 25

Europe being Shipped Sept 26 & 27

UK Orders Being Shipped Sept 28 & 29 .....

Karol

On 29.9.2017 at 6:02 PM, Richard said:

Fuck the other shit, MASADA is brilliant!!!!!!!!!

I'm just not sure which of the different version of the main theme on YouTube is the film version. For example, is the following piece from the OST or the film recording?

I'm against that fashion to take old voice tracks of a singer and add to it a symphonic orchestra music background.

But... I'm also a collector. :mellow:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « roy orbison orchestra »

On 02/10/2017 at 0:07 AM, Brundlefly said:

Is it available on CD?

If it's the one that Pub is thinking of, then it's available on a 2-disc set called THE OMEN: THE ESSENTIAL JERRY GOLDSMITH FILM MUSIC COLLECTION, which is on Silva Screen.

I rewatched 2012's Paranorman with the family the other day and had downloaded the score years ago, but yesterday I found it on amazon and bought it! Norman's Theme is a real earworm! 

Recently purchaced:

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - 35th Anniversary Remastered Edition (John Williams)

IT (Benjamin Wallfisch)

Romancing the Stone - Expanded La-La Land release (Alan Silvestri)

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Expanded La-La Land release (Edward Shearmur)

Waterworld - Expanded La-La Land release (James Newton Howard)

IMG_20171014_170810.jpg

A very space-oriented purchase now that I think about it.

Interstellar I bought for background noise for studying, but now, having seen the film yesterday, tracks like "stay" are much more hard to get through.

The performances on the Williams album are all great, and it being only a compilation of 30 year old recordings doesn't bother me since I'll probably never even find those old releases, let alone own them.

My most recent LLL order arrived yesterday, containing THUNDER ROAD (which is an old score by Jack Marshall featuring Johnny Williams on piano, who penned a note for the booklet too), KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE (with a second, signed booklet), REBEL IN THE RYE by BEAR McCREARY (with a second, signed booklet), and......... TWO copies of UNREST by Bear McCreary both signed by him.

I dunno why I got two copies, must have been a mistake!

34409.jpg 34459.jpg rebel-rye-300x300.jpg Image result for bear mccreary unrest Image result for bear mccreary unrest