Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's gotta be the latest placement of a concert arrangement in an album program until The Force Awakens.

The first one that jumped into my head was "Hedwig's Theme" being the last track on the Sorcerer's Stone OST

That was written for the end credits though

EDIT: Oh, maybe it wasn't.  It was used in the end credits though... though I suppose Sherzo for X-Wings was as well.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are you sure?  I thought the end credits cue was "Harry's Wondrous World" (track 2 on the OST).  The "Hedwig's Theme" track I thought was the concert arrangement which of course begins with the celeste.

EDIT: Just saw your edit, Jay :D 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

EDIT: Oh, maybe it wasn't.  It was used in the end credits though... though I suppose Sherzo for X-Wings was as well.

Williams has always been putting album/concert arrangements on his albums. He's just also been using them in the film credits since (at least) the late 90s.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Williams has always been putting album/concert arrangements on his albums. He's just also been using them in the film credits since (at least) the late 90s.

Johnny is one of the rare few who do this. Lucky for us. Or unlucky like with KotCS where Raiders March could have been easily replaced with 5 more minutes of the actual score (I don't know perhaps the full Jungle Chase or something).

For all this talk of how brilliant Williams is as a FILM composer i must say that in quite a few cases i don't particular care for his scores but the concert versions. Often they comprise in 4 to 6 minutes the best the score proper has to offer. 

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Flight to Neverland. The concert version of War Horse and Jedi Steps and Finale..

Karol

Wait, what's wrong with the concert version of Jedi Steps and Finale?

29 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Flight to Neverland. The concert version of War Horse and Jedi Steps and Finale..

Karol

Ups...haven't even heard of those. I meant the ones he puts on the albums. There are a lot of them (post mid 90's especially) were the music tends to be sketchy (short cues connected, few properly developed pieces) and the concert versions kind of 'save' them ('Sabrina', 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Book Thief', 'Stepmom', 'Angela's Ashes', 'Lincoln').

Has to do with the kind of movies he had there but i still find it noticeable that he often struggles with them.

31 minutes ago, publicist said:

Ups...haven't even heard of those. I meant the ones he puts on the albums. There are a lot of them (post mid 90's especially) were the music tends to be sketchy (short cues connected, few properly developed pieces) and the concert versions kind of 'save' them ('Sabrina', 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Book Thief', 'Stepmom', 'Angela's Ashes', 'Lincoln').

Has to do with the kind of movies he had there but i still find it noticeable that he often struggles with them.

I find that he did amazing job with e.g. Angela's Ashes considering how most of the cues in the film are so short. That album flows quite well in my opinion and often enough JW found ways to combine cues into longer pieces that really work.

What's awkward about the extended version of Poe's Theme when he does the TFA end credits live?  Sounds perfectly normal to me?

19 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I find that he did amazing job with e.g. Angela's Ashes considering how most of the cues in the film are so short. That album flows quite well in my opinion and often enough JW found ways to combine cues into longer pieces that really work.

It's very repetitive - most cues just repeat a few core ideas in very similar fashion (y'know, theme A, theme B, theme A whereas in the next cue the order is switched to B, A, B). Not a particularly convincing case for musical development. 

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How's the sound? I've heard it's supposed to be remastered.

Bof, that's a 1990 CD... that is re-re-re-reissued in Japan since, because of it's "rarity", as the US CD always had only 14 tracks.

It don't match the sound of the most recent releases, like the Rhino one and even more the Superman Box.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Of the album ones? Probably the second climax of Duel of the Fates sticks out.

Karol

In short:

That's what I recently bought:

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

That's what I will buy soon:

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

That's what I'm gonna buy anytime later:

image.pngimage.png

That's what I will buy if I find it for a reasonable price:

image.pngimage.png

That's the OSTs I'm sooner or later gonna buy:

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

That's the OSTs that I don't own, but will never buy, since waiting for a proper release is smarter:

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

This year again thanks To John Williams, Charles Aznavour and Roy Orbison's sons to have released items relatively in the same time, allowing me to make each time orders that qualifies for a discount on the sending fees.  

4116miyQ60L._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

:thumbup:

Haven't posted here for way too long to catch up with past purchases, but my latest MM.com order finally arrived today:

E.T.

The Haunting

Sky Captain

Waterworld

The Black Swan (Alfred Newman)

Peyton Place/Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man (Waxman)

Of course, they're all talking a back seat while I'm mostly busy listening to The Last Jedi (my own copy shipped today, but I've "borrowed" FLACs from a friend for the meantime).

And with a bit of luck, CE3K and Co might arrive from SoundtrackCorner before Christmas, if they get everything from my order in stock in time.

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

...and you're going to love the score :)

It's probably Rozsa's masterpiece.

It's a pity that the Blu ray iso is not in 5.1, but it's a stunning piece or work, nonetheless. Enjoy.

Have had the score for a long time already, but not the longbox version. It's indeed great. :)

Anyone who can comment on the sound quality of Sony's 2010 release compared to the 5 CD FSM box?

It might actually be all you need. The majority of the expanded material is mostly synths. I think even the orchestral bits are synths. Just so you know.

Karol

Oh yeah?

Tis a Horner epic though! 

I'll listen to the OST a few times over Xmas and decide if I need more. Happy to support it if it means more Horner releases but they seem to do that anyway. 

My Justice League OST arrived from Amazon last Friday, and my Last Jedi OST arrived from Amazon this past Friday

Thinking about cobbling together an order of the last round of specialty label stuff I don't have yet - Damnation Alley, The Russia House, The Haunting, Ferdinand... maybe one or two more I'm forgetting at the moment.

I like that Shape of Water score.

Does The Snowman take Beltrami out of his comfort zone at all, or is it similar to his other most popular scores?

I would say one of his strongest works in general. It's somewhere between Herrmann and Elfman but with an icy Scandinavian patina (probably due to the presence of Hardangar fiddle). It's surprisingly listenable and classy score for a massive turd of a film. The album is about 49 minutes long so it never really outstays its welcome.

Karol