Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why doesn't Duda's head cast a shadow?

Actually we see the shadow of his head, it's the one from JW we don't see on the image, cause it's at the left side, out of the cadre.

On 4/29/2019 at 6:06 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

@El Jefe is The Legend of the Lone Ranger any good?

Nice haul!

Actually rather disappointed with this one. The vocals are annoying and it doesn’t sound very inspiring. Even the William Tell overture is kinda meh. 

I’ll give credit to Zimmer and his team, their overkill version of the overture had much more energy. 

1 minute ago, Amer said:

The Varese disc came via untrackable package albiet cracked casing. (Not going to order via Varese directly next time.) 

20190504_125329.jpg

Just send them an email, and you'll get a new case or a partial refund.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just send them an email, and you'll get a new case or a partial refund.

LOL it will probably come vcracked too. It's their method of packaging. They really need to get their act together. 

On 5/1/2019 at 2:49 PM, El Jefe said:

Actually rather disappointed with this one. The vocals are annoying and it doesn’t sound very inspiring. Even the William Tell overture is kinda meh. 

I’ll give credit to Zimmer and his team, their overkill version of the overture had much more energy. 

On 5/1/2019 at 3:57 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I suppose that's fair. 

I always thought that Zimmer's William Tell Overture was really overdone.

It fits the film like a glove. Took Zanelli a whole month to adapt it to the finale sequence.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Have you even seen the film?

I was gonna because it's directed by two interesting Norwegians directors, but then I read all the lousy reviews and totally forgot about ut.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The finale was nothing unexpected for a Bruckheimer/Depp/Zimmer venture. It was just another Pirates of the Caribbean except in the Wild West.

It was a big budget Hollywood western with practical sets and incredibly complex production design. Not unexpected is the last word I’d use to describe it. It’s the last film of its kind that will ever be made. 

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was gonna because it's directed by two interesting Norwegians directors, but then I read all the lousy reviews and totally forgot about ut.

Gore Verbinski is two Norwegian directors?

I guess Jurassic Shark is confusing The Lone Ranger with Pirates of the Caribbean 5, which was directed by Joachim Rønning & Espen Sandberg; Gore Verbinski directed The Lone Ranger [and, of course, also the Zimmer-scored Pirates 1,2,3, Rango, Weather Man, and The Ring).

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I guess Jurassic Shark is confusing The Lone Ranger with Pirates of the Caribbean 5, which were both scored by Zimmer, but only the latter one was directed by Joachim Rønning & Espen Sandberg; Gore Verbinski directed The Lone Ranger [and, of course, also the Zimmer-scored Pirates 1,2,3, Rango, Weather Man, and The Ring).

Um...Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales was scored by Geoff Zanelli. Additional composers were Phil Boucher, Steve Mazzaro, Paul Mounsey, Anthony Willis and Zak McNeil. Zimmer only gets partial credit for pre-existing themes.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I guess Jurassic Shark is confusing The Lone Ranger with Pirates of the Caribbean 5

1 point for Jay!

I did indeed mix up these films when posting here, due to reading two threads as once. :lol:

Anyway, I did watch the Lone Ranger on the telly, but turned it off halfway through because it didn't appeal to me. However, I watched the finale on YouTube after Koray's appraisal of how well the Wilhelm Tell overture has been fitted to the action sequence, and I have to say I completely disagree. There's so many unmusical and jarring cuts and transitions that I don't believe for a second that Zanelli used a month on it. At least if he did, his work was completely butchered in editing!

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up 'Tolkien' - Thomas Newman and 'Us' - Michael Abels with some birthday cash today.

I haven't seen Tolkien and to be honest I'm not really yearning to see it because I really have to pick my theatre-going choices wisely these days, but from what I heard of the score, I decided to pick up the score while I can in my country!

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just buy the CD or listen on YouTube. I'm sorry to say that the tempi are way too slow

Slow, but not too slow. I like the unusual approach. And his Neptune is shorter than Karajan's.

34 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Slow, but not too slow. I like the unusual approach. And his Neptune is shorter than Karajan's.

I agree that not all movements are too slow, but to me Mars certainly is. It reminds me of Herrmann's interpretation of three pieces from Rozsa's Julius Caesar.