Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

12 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Good stuff @crocodile

It's the original JCS...and the best.

As a friend of mine once said "There's only one Jesus Christ, and it's Ian Gillan" :lol:

I am not a fan of the film version. The original album is superior in every way. 

Karol

Just spent a few hours between Amazon marketplace, Ebay, Discogs, and anywhere else I could think of, finding all the Game of Thrones albums on CD. The only one I didn't get on disc was season 3 as it's ridiculously expensive for some reason.

However, when paying an average of £5-6 per album I only really need to find value in a handful of tracks to make a purchase worthwhile.

Normally I'd just buy the digital albums like I do for pretty much every contemporary score, but in this case CDs are actually cheaper in almost every case.

Sleeping with the Enemy (LLL) by Jerry Goldsmith

Patton (Intrada) by Jerry Goldsmith

The Pagemaster (LLL) by James Horner

Cocoon: The Return (Varese) by James Horner

Catching up those babies as they're disappearing from circulation...

58 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Arrived today by post as well.

Great piano performances. And it even contians some jazz compositions by Williams himself.

I am exited.

IMG_20211203_185822~3[751].jpg

It's not our John Williams.

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't blame you, the cover is almost identical to that of our John Williams.

Wow, I didn't even notice Gerate's cover was a different one. :huh:

Ya know, people laugh at my discography since so many years... but there is not one false attributed John Williams album on my disco.

If it’s not in the disco, then it’s not the right John Williams you’re researching.

And well there are so much rare entries in the disco that no one cares about except @Miguel Andrade, @Junion and me! :P

Like this album:

image.png

22 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Ya know, people laugh at my discography since so many years... but there is not one false attributed John Williams album on my disco.

The only problem I have with your discography is the menus, which aren't the most intuitive.

The layout (which is very 2000ish, I must admit) or the way I separated the disco into "Disco as a performer" and "Disco as a composer"?

The titles of the menu options could be more spot on. I'd arrange it something like this:

Discography (on main menu)

• John Williams as performer (conductor or pianist)
  • Performances by others

Lists of works (on main menu)

• Original compositions
  • Arrangements and orchestrations

I don't mind the 2000s look of the site.

30 minutes ago, crocodile said:

ab67616d0000b273c0b035896e77ca07eae98c67.jpeg

Karol

Interesting. If the latest 3 disc release of the Superman score would have existed at that time, I would not have bought this one. I was so happy to have this because we all thought the original source and the music sheets were lost forever. I think, they actually reconstructed the music sheets from listening to the old OST, Williams' sketches and the adaptations from Superman II and III as far as I remember. So, this recording was made to fill preserve the score in an appropriate recording. Now this has become kind of obsolete, but still it is a nice remembrance. 

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

Interesting. If the latest 3 disc release of the Superman score would have existed at that time, I would not have bought this one. I was so happy to have this because we all thought the original source and the music sheets were lost forever. I think, they actually reconstructed the music sheets from listening to the old OST, Williams' sketches and the adaptations from Suoerman II and III as far as I remember. So, this recording was made to fill preserve the score in an appropriate recording. Now this has become kind of obsolete, but still it is a nice remembrance. 

I have got this album in my collection. This was my first Superman so it has a sentimental value to me. One disc of my old copy is unplayable so I decided to replace it. 

Karol

I have fond memories of this recording and it really shines if you have a good hi fi system.The brass gets a great work out from the RSNO and Debney’s conducting is really great.  But it wasn’t long after it’s release that we got the Rhino expansion 2CD set.

16 hours ago, Amer said:

I have fond memories of this recording and it really shines if you have a good hi fi system.The brass gets a great work out from the RSNO and Debney’s conducting is really great.  But it wasn’t long after it’s release that we got the Rhino expansion 2CD set.

I treat it as an alternate OST. 

Karol