Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Welp
vIjd61z.png

I'm sure this will be back in stock on LLL eventually, but I wasn't about to lose chances as this slightly cheaper listing on Discogs was still available. Would've been nice to order it alongside ST:TMP when that came out, but hey at least I paid less for it.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

THE RIGHT STUFF speaks for itself. Its only serious Oscar™ rival, in 1983, was UNDER FIRE.

Though none should have won against Return of the Jedi...

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

RETURN OF THE JEDI? SHMETURN OF THE JEDI. He won the year before. Let someone else have a go.

That's a fair point. That's why I always have been a defender of the "Best Original non-Williams Score" since a long time, it's more clear

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased the 6-CD Ultimate John Barry Collection, and with this I consider my John Barry Collection as complete. In addition I have the Bond songs, Born Free, The Black Hole, Out of Africa and Dances with Wolves. My hunger is satisfied, I would say. Especially because Barry is a composer where I am mostly satisfied with a collection of the Main themes. OST feel often too long and repetitive.

I don't want to say anything pejorative about Barry as a film composer or a song writer.

But about him I feel absolutely no drive for completeness.

But apart from John Williams and my favourite bands I feel that nowhere anyway.

And even there I make exceptions.

For me, Barry always been in the category of composers where I stick pretty much only to their scores for movies I love.  Which is a lot of scores when it comes to Barry!

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I just purchased the 6-CD Ultimate John Barry Collection, and with this I consider my John Barry Collection as complete. In addition I have the Bond songs, Born Free, The Black Hole, Out of Africa and Dances with Wolves. My hunger is satisfied, I would say. Especially because Barry is a composer where I am mostly satisfied with a collection of the Main themes. OST feel often too long and repetitive.

Your Barry collection is probably bigger than mine, and I also usually don't have patience for full length scores in his case.

But: The Lion in Winter!

Three conclusions so far from listening to my new definitive John Barry collection.

First, I never realised before, how close Barry's music is particularly to Morricone's music. For some pieces, especially from the 60s and 70s could also have been written by Morricone.

Second, I never knew, that Barry wrote some interesting choir works for film. Made me wish to know, what he might have done to the Lord of the Rings movies, if he would have been assigned to them. But probably rather his 20 years younger self.

Third, my points, why I am not his biggest fan remain: His increasing tendency to introduce a theme in the horns, then repeat it in the trumpets, then in the strings is a little boring in the long term. And he always stayed basically a song weiter, so counter points are for pussies, he must have thought.

But overall his music is so much more than this. This collection really provides a great panorama.

IMG_20220318_142007~2.jpg

It dips a little deeper into some scores with 6-9 tracks.

Personally, I would never purchase a big COP Philh O boxset... Their recordings are often hit and miss.

I think JB's music depends a lot about "the colors" of the sound and the orchestra, I find it hard to "re-record" while keeping the same feeling... but there are exceptions.

I would suggest you this great 3-CD compilation, using the original recordings:

NC04Mjk0LmpwZWc.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/9085815-John-Barry-The-Real-John-Barry

Then I have yet to discover this 1972 re-recording made by Barry hilmself, which seems to be a "must":

https://www.discogs.com/fr/master/327545-The-Royal-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Conducted-By-John-Barry-The-Concert-John-Barry

Naa! I know, you once said, you don't like Prague recordings. But mostly I do. Yes, where I own the originals, these re-recordings seem to be a bit slower, what is really dangerous with Barry, because the originals are often already borderline slow. But I am really fine with this one. I also like, that the Prague collection doesn't have such a focus in Bond.

But thanks for the recommendation.

Their Zulu re-recording (including some suites from other movies [those you surely have on your compilation]) is a must.

NC05NDc0LmpwZWc.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/4487895-John-Barry-Zulu/image/SW1hZ2U6MTA4NDY2MjY=

Barry wrote his most interesting music when he varied the instrumentation.

YOLT and OHMSS are masterpieces. Fantastic themes. Interesting arrangements.

When he started writing primarily for orchestra his material really suffered. There is virtually no attempt to create a distinct musical signature- like with his Bond scores.

Thus, they became almost completely dependent on the qualities of the themes.

Basically, he stopped trying to do anything unique or interesting.

His flaws, repeating phrases for example, became magnified.

After BODY HEAT in 1981 he really declined imho , even if the public ( and OSCAR) embraced his blandness

Probably a function of when I grew up, but I love the late 70s Barry after he moved to the US.  King Kong, Black Hole, even Lone Ranger and StarCrash all have something about them.  And they're movies (of varying quality) I enjoy.

19 hours ago, Andy said:

Probably a function of when I grew up, but I love the late 70s Barry after he moved to the US.  King Kong, Black Hole, even Lone Ranger and StarCrash all have something about them.  And they're movies (of varying quality) I enjoy.

KONG is JB at his best.

Not really a big fan of Barry (sorry) but there are some scores I like:

Zulu

The Lion in Winter

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

King Kong

Moonraker

The Living Daylights

Body Heat

Dances With Wolves

Anything else I'm missing? Suggestions always welcome.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Die Barry I think, Stu's approach pretty much nails it:

On 17/03/2022 at 2:11 PM, Disco Stu said:

For me, Barry always been in the category of composers where I stick pretty much only to their scores for movies I love. 

I like The Black Hole, but it is probably not a good recommendation for people, who are just in for the music. For me it is just a precious memory.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Not really a big fan of Barry (sorry) but there are some scores I like:

Zulu

The Lion in Winter

King Kong

Moonraker

The Living Daylights

Body Heat

Dances With Wolves

Karol

Chaplin

Born Free (re-recording)

The Beyondness of Things (not a score)

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

The Beyondness of Things (not a score)

Part of it is the rejected score for THE HORSE WHISPERER, in much the same way that MOVIOLA is part of the rejected score for THE PRINCE OF TIDES.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Die Barry I think, Stu's approach pretty much nails it:

I like The Black Hole, but it is probably not a good recommendation for people, who are just in for the music. For me it is just a precious memory.

I, also, have a lot of good memories associated with THE BLACK HOLE.

The jury's still out on which was the first digitally recorded soundtrack: THE BLACK HOLE, or STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE.

18 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Out of Africa

Born Free

Even though I have the albums, or maybe because of that, for Out of Africa and Born Free one could be fine with just a good recording of the main themes. There is not so much more to discover in the scores. 

24 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Even though I have the albums, or maybe because of that, for Out of Africa and Born Free one could be fine with just a good recording of the main themes. There is not so much more to discover in the scores. 

At least for Africa the whole album (however short) is a nice listening experience. I love the mood it sets.

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

At least for Africa the whole album (however short) is a nice listening experience. I love the mood it sets.

I don't like that they fade out the Mozart piece in the middle.

13 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I don't like that they fade out the Mozart piece in the middle.

Me neither. Just purchase the complete recording by Marriner.

The complete movement is included on the Varese rerecording, btw.

On 19/03/2022 at 6:49 PM, crocodile said:

Zulu

The Lion in Winter

King Kong

Moonraker

The Living Daylights

Body Heat

Dances With Wolves

Your little list contains my top-5 Barry scores, so... kudos, dude.

I'd suggest

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

RAISE THE TITANIC

PLAYING BY HEART (another personal favourite)

WALKABOUT

THE DEEP

THE LAST VALLEY