Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

2 years? I'm afraid your package is lost then!

Not lost. Parked at my aunts place. She was to travel to my city but became restricted due to Covid. Finally here. It's here. I can't believe it. It's like BLACK FRIDAY X 5 Times

I still remember when 'Four Feathers' came out, the reaction in film music circles was  - as expected -  racist and ignorant: what's that awful ethnic stuff with the wailing fakir and why isn't there more of the syrupy love theme? 

It was truly a schizophrenic effort by Horner, in that respect, kind of like Goldenthal's motto of 'composition as collision'. Particularly two pieces 'The Mahdi' and 'Escape' are marvelous examples how to wed eastern/western.

21 hours ago, publicist said:

I still remember when 'Four Feathers' came out, the reaction in film music circles was  - as expected -  racist and ignorant: what's that awful ethnic stuff with the wailing fakir and why isn't there more of the syrupy love theme? 

It was truly a schizophrenic effort by Horner, in that respect, kind of like Goldenthal's motto of 'composition as collision'. Particularly two pieces 'The Mahdi' and 'Escape' are marvelous examples how to wed eastern/western.

Wailing fakir? Seriously how uneducated those folks are. Director Shekhar Kapur sought Qawwali singer Rahat Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan as a virtuoso artist to collaborate with James Horner. He had previously employed Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan for Bandit Queen and previously Peter Gabriel used him in THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST. When Nusrat Fateh died, Rahat took over as his grand seat of the Qawwali.

Qawwali is the mystical Devotional singing art of the Sufi order from the region of Pakistan and India going back 500 years. 

Back in 90s Nusrat Fateh did back to back concerts in New York, London, Paris rendering the western audiences in a mesmerizing fervor. He was an instant hit. He also participated in DEAD MAN WALKING with Pearl Jam's  Eddie Vedder. 

James Horner called his collaboration with Rahat one of the most rewarding experience of his career. He then reemployed him for APOCALYPTO. Rahat is one of the Top vocalists working in Bollywood film music playback groups. I once asked Hans Zimmer about  him and if would collaborate with this world music artist and he was already enthusiastic. Hopefully that will happen someday.. 

Almost a decade later, JH re-used one of the themes from The Four Feathers in his score from Avatar.

It's interesting that one of the themes for the biggest movie of all time came from a box office bomb like this.

On 24/04/2022 at 5:41 PM, Edmilson said:

Almost a decade later, JH re-used one of the themes from The Four Feathers in his score from Avatar.

It's interesting that one of the themes for the biggest movie of all time came from a box office bomb like this.

More than a decade later, he used the main theme from FF verbatim for 'For Greater Glory'. Don't know if it's interesting or anything, but he did just that;

I just bought Beethoven's symphonies 5 and 6 played by the Hanover Band. Very hard to find and really happy that this echoey, period instrument recording will be on my shelf in a few days... and that it didn't have to come from Canada, but from France. Symphonies 3, 5 and 7 (Karajan 77) next month. I like collecting.

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I just bought Beethoven's symphonies 5 and 6 played by the Hanover Band. Very hard to find and really happy that this echoey, period instrument recording will be on my shelf in a few days... and that it didn't have to come from Canada, but from France. Symphonies 3, 5 and 7 (Karajan 77) next month. I like collecting.

The Hanover recordings are fine, although the acoustics does require getting used to.

I'm crazy about these Varèse compilations, it makes me discover so much new music... I'll never live long enough to collect all the CDs I want.