Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I used to love Snow White and the Huntsman, but now, after Maleficent and three Fantastic Beasts scores, it's near the bottom of the list of JNH fantasy scores. Still, there's some decent moments there (and some that are only on the bootleg).

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I used to love Snow White and the Huntsman, but now, after Maleficent and three Fantastic Beasts scores, it's near the bottom of the list of JNH fantasy scores. Still, there's some decent moments there (and some that are only on the bootleg).

This is so much better than either Beasts II or III.

It may be better than Secrets of Dumbledore, whose best moments are all taken from the first two scores.

But I really don't care about Snow White's more modern and Zimmer-esque approach to its action music. Warriors on the Beach is a really frustrating cue who sounds like it was heavily temped with Inception and/or The Dark Knight, despite some nice choir writing.

40 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

But I really don't care about Snow White's more modern and Zimmer-esque approach to its action music. Warriors on the Beach is a really frustrating cue who sounds like it was heavily temped with Inception and/or The Dark Knight, despite some nice choir writing.

I'll say that Huntsman II is even better and i tend to lump the two into one. The second has a more rounded theme and if you subtract the egregious action stuff - hey, we agree on that! - you end up with a good 72-minute album (that is thematically confused, for sure, but aesthetically so similar that it doesn't matter much. 

See here: 

On 03/05/2022 at 8:15 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

The middle one?

Yep. Is it any good?

Speaking of which, are any of these worthwhile?

IMG_20220507_190929.jpg

11 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yep. Is it any good?

Intriguing when I first sampled it, but too simplistic when I heard the whole thing.

12 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yep. Is it any good?

IMG_20220507_190929.jpg

I've got one of those.

45 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm guessing the Howard Shore.

I've only got four Shore albums in my collection, and I really like only one of them.

I was referring to the Händel.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I've only got four Shore albums in my collection, and I really like only one of them.

What are these?

Karol

28 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yep. Is it any good?

IMG_20220507_190929.jpg

Eastern Promises is an excellent Shore score. Parenthood is an utterly charming Randy Newman comedy. I don't recall Entrapment offhand but I think it's a pretty solid action/thriller. The Madness of King George is adapted Handel so if you like Handel, yes, if not, no. The American President is lovely, a bit like Lincoln with a more on the nose main theme - I miss Marc Shaiman writing film music, and Mrs Henderson Presents... I don't have. But it's George Fenton, I expect it's lovely. The musical version, which also has music by Fenton, is pretty good by the way.

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Eastern Promises is an excellent Shore score. Parenthood is an utterly charming Randy Newman comedy. I don't recall Entrapment offhand but I think it's a pretty solid action/thriller. The Madness of King George is adapted Handel so if you like Handel, yes, if not, no. The American President is lovely, a bit like Lincoln with a more on the nose main theme - I miss Marc Shaiman writing film music, and Mrs Henderson Presents... I don't have. But it's George Fenton, I expect it's lovely. The musical version, which also has music by Fenton, is pretty good by the way.

I remember at the time being quite disappointed by Entrapment. My favourite Young score used to be Copycat and Murder in the First. So, I was expecting some strong melodies. Without success.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I remember at the time being quite disappointed by Entrapment. My favourite Young score used to be Copycat and Murder in the First. So, I was expecting some strong melodies. Without success.

Well I said "solid" - not quite a ringing endorsement lol. I'll give it another listen anyway. It's certainly no Hard Rain (if that's a viable comparison). Just realised I don't have either Copycat or Murder in the First. Clearly will need to rectify this.

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Well I said "solid" - not quite a ringing endorsement lol. I'll give it another listen anyway. It's certainly no Hard Rain (if that's a viable comparison).

I always thought, If Young had done a better job for Entrapment, this could have been his ticket into the A league of Hollywood composers.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I always thought, If Young had done a better job for Entrapment, this could have been his ticket into the A league of Hollywood composers.

Yes, possibly, he never quite broke through in that way. Then again, he's not one of those must listen to composers for me. I do own and enjoy a decent number of his scores from horror to action to comedy (his jazzier scores are great) but it only occasionally occurs to me to listen to his stuff. I should probably explore more though. Having said that, I found the Copycat end title on the Judas Kiss album and am just listening to it and enjoying it very much indeed.

27 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Fun film, though.

24 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As far as I recall, it's hard to tell where Händel ends and Fenton starts, so certainly an accomplishment. Whether that's worth having or the Händel originals are a better investment of your time must be decided by people who are better familiar with Händel than I am.

I'm sorry to say it's very easy to tell what's Fenton, as his contributions are significantly lighter, and not that interesting.

47 minutes ago, crocodile said:

What are these?

Karol

Ed Wood

Looking for @Naïve Old Fart

The Aviator

The Fellowship of the Ring

All have good highlights, but are somewhat disappointing as a whole. Except Fellowship.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm sorry to say it's very easy to tell what's Fenton, as his contributions are significantly lighter, and not that interesting.

Hm, perhaps I should listen to it again. And Dangerous Liaisons, too. It's been years.

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ed Wood

Looking for @Naïve Old Fart

The Aviator

The Fellowship of the Ring

All have good highlights, but are somewhat disappointing as a whole. Except Fellowship.

You should check out The Return of the King OST. It is my my favourite of Shore's Middle Earth scores.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wow! That's really hip. Groovy, man. 

"Hey Clark, a bunch of us are going up to Mary Ellens, play some records.  You wanna come?"Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 8.01.49 AM.png

It's a great listen.  It's all available on the Jazz Beginnings CD, but I really dig the art and wanted a standalone release with the original cover.  After two listens, my initial impressions are that the John Towner Touch is a better example of Johnny's piano playing being in the forefront.  Wish they'd do a standalone CD of that one.  I just love old cover art like this, and there's still some novelty of it shrunk down to CD proportions for me.

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

"Hey Clark, a bunch of us are going up to Mary Ellens, play some records.  You wanna come?"Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 8.01.49 AM.png

It's a great listen.  It's all available on the Jazz Beginnings CD, but I really dig the art and wanted a standalone release with the original cover.  After two listens, my initial impressions are that the John Towner Touch is a better example of Johnny's piano playing being in the forefront.  Wish they'd do a standalone CD of that one.  I just love old cover art like this, and there's still some novelty of it shrunk down to CD proportions for me.

Does this Japanese World on a String release have English liner notes?

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

(I wanted the original album, not the new expansion, so I purchased this release which is between the two and it was cheaper)

Mi0xNjI4LmpwZWc.jpeg

It still seems the only way to get this Theme on CD, The OST or the Promo... So I purchased the Promo!

OTgtNjg3MC5qcGVn.jpeg

New arrivals:

The Setting Sun, found this rare sealed copy of Jarre at SAE during their 20% sale and this Korngold re-recording mastered by DCC label Steve Hoffmann. 

IMG_20220510_132854_815.jpg

korngold.jpg

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm unfamiliar with The Setting Sun, but the Lionel Newman conducted Korngold album is a favourite. May I ask how much you had to pay for these?

For Jarre this was $32 (SAE). for Kornold this was around  £ 12 (Ebay)

On 03/05/2022 at 11:40 PM, bollemanneke said:

Indeed, but I chose that one because it's the only good period one that nails the dance in the pastorale (movement 3).

Yeah, there's many period cycles from the 80s and early 90s that's not very interesting. 

Wow! Isn't this interweb thingy great? You just click on something you want, and then, a few days later, there is a satisfying "plop" through your mail box :)

My order arrived, consisting of the Monteverdi Vespers (Gardiner), and RVW Symphonies 3 & 5, and 4 & 6 (Norrington/LPO).

Fantastic!

37 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

RVW Symphonies 3 & 5, and 4 & 6 (Norrington/LPO).

Norrington with the LPO was my first encounter with RVW, back when I had one of my first concert subscriptions. The Wiener Philharmoniker offered cycles of dress rehearsal tickets for students*, and every year's cycle included one guest orchestra, in this case the LPO. I don't recall if it was the Cockaigne overture or the 4th symphony (both were included in different years' subscription).

*) When Rattle did Symphonie fantastique, he simply skipped the march (4th movement) in the rehersal…

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wow! Isn't this interweb thingy great? You just click on something you want, and then, a few days later, there is a satisfying "plop" through your mail box :)

Right?  It’s dangerous.