Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

From this moment on, I'll slow down my used CD purchases, I think I actually own the "basic" of what I wanted in my CD collection and I learned to discover and like many new composers.

Now I'll concentrate on the new expansions from my favourite composers and will take what it comes when it comes. I now "follow" many composers (living and not), so I think it will keep me busy over the next years!

Just for the fun (not for real) here are the "composers" who "made it" hehe...

Screenshot_20221120_134718.jpg

Screenshot_20221120-134701_foobar2000.jpg

Screenshot_20221120-134650_foobar2000.jpg

IMG_20221122_090643~2.jpg

This one is a little bit like when you taste a new meal, you are asked how you find it and you answer benevolently "interesting". I bought it for the Danny Elfman percussion quartett but have to admit, that I find the other pieces on the album more appealing. But that is my usual thing with Elfman. There are few works, that I really adore. And everything has a certain level of quality, but most of it cannot hold the tension and my attention for longer than 3-6 minutes.

I believe those physical CDs exist thanks to Milan Records, who might have licensed directly from Legendary Pictures, and the Netflix logo is just slapped on there since they are the exclusive distributor of the film for Legendary

Yes, you're right, the Milan logo is on the back of both.

I got the second mainly as I felt like I wanted to complete the set and it's only a £ or two more than a download. I certainly don't expect other scores like this to be on CD.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

TRON LEGACY :thumbup:

I haven't heard a note from it yet, looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is about.

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What happens on Sunday?

Nothing - i.e. Christmas (and all the busy stuff leading up to it) is over.

32 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What is Gardiner like, as an interpreter of Beethoven?

I've heard he's great, but I'm still ripping this box set and haven't listened to any of it yet. I've been meaning to check his symphonies out for years, but this newer box includes tons of other stuff - the piano concertos, violin concerto, FidelioMissa solemnis, and a couple of rarities (including chamber arrangements of the 2nd symphony and 4th piano concerto). I'll probably post some comments over in the classical thread once I've gone through the box.

Correction: It's not Fidelio, it's in fact Leonore - which I find even more interesting, as I already have the Bernstein/Janowitz recording of Fidelio, but have yet to hear the original version.

Ta, awfully, for that.

I've always thought that Gardiner was a quintessentially "English" conductor, but does Monteverdi very well, and his Mozart operas are my preferred versions, so...

59 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

...I already have the Bernstein/Janowitz recording of Fidelio, but have yet to hear the original version.

Since it premiered in 1805, I very much doubt that you've heard the original version :lol:

24 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Since it premiered in 1805, I very much doubt that you've heard the original version :lol:

Original version of the composition, not original performance*! Although as I understand, the version presented here is in fact the second version from 1806 (though still much closer in time to the original original from 1805 than the well-known final revision from 1814).

*) Although I've been to the opera house where the premiere of the original version took place. ;) 

I've got a big end of year haul:

• Amistad (25th Anniversary) by John Williams :heart:
  • The Fabelmans by John Williams :heart:
  • The 'Burbs by Jerry Goldsmith
  • Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation by Joe Kraemer (now they can release the expansion)
  • Paycheck (Deluxe) by John Powell
  • Ferdinand by John Powell
  • The Call of the Wild by John Powell
  • Star Trek III (Intrada) by James Horner
  • Black Patch/The Man by Jerry Goldsmith (a really great re-recording)
  • Lost in Space (40th Anniversary) by John Williams & Various