Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I wonder if Varese will ever re-issue those re-recordings, and finally put Superman in a regular size jewel case instead of wasting a double one

The Jaws re-recording is interesting because they performed some instrument lines that Williams had written into the sheet music, but decided to tacet out when performing the original score

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Jaws re-recording is interesting because they performed some instrument lines that Williams had written into the sheet music, but decided to tacet out when performing the original score

That is really interesting. I always wondered, why would I listen to that re-recording of I have the DECCA complete score presentation from 2000? There I just heavily miss the OST arrangements. But they are as well Not available on the re-recording.

I mean, that ancient Decca release contains the original film tracks improperly converted from the split-mono tapes to a fake stereo by downmixing the 5.1 versions they created for the re-issue of the film, and it was never a high quality recording in the first place and the tapes had already began to deteriorate after 25 years.

The 2015 Intrada version of the material on those tapes that Mike Matessino remixed directly from the original split-mono to a new "stereo" version sound loads better than that old cashgrab release

Anyways, the McNeely re-recording has completely different microphone placement and recording quality, and a consistent sound from start to end, on top of being a different performance by different musicians with different tempos and some different instrument lines at times

But yea, they should have recorded all the unique album extensions as bonus tracks, too - there was plenty of room for them all!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Now, you need them all, it's like the Pokemons.

20230106_095559.jpg

Well, you're missing Amazing Stories...

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I wonder if Varese will ever [...] finally put Superman in a regular size jewel case instead of wasting a double one

Already done.

https://www.discogs.com/release/9589683-John-Williams-4-John-Debney-Royal-Scottish-National-Orchestra-Superman-The-Movie-Original-Motion-Pic

40 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, you're missing Amazing Stories...

Right! That one I got. At least the one with Williams' score for The Mission episode and Delerue's score for "Dorothy and Ben". 

I wished McNeely had recorded both Williams scores and not just one.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Right! That one I got. At least the one with Williams' score for The Mission episode and Delerue's score for "Dorothy and Ben". 

We need a release of the original recordings of both JW scores and nothing more.

47 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How can you tell from that page that that is a single-wide case and not a double-wide case like in @Bespin's picture above?

By the way, the Midway score is great. Never was a fan of the Midway March, but the whole score and especially the use of the Men of the Yorktown March is wonderful. Really refreshing to hear some Williams 70s/80s adventure music, that I am not so familiar with.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

How can you tell from that page that that is a single-wide case and not a double-wide case like in @Bespin's picture above?

Because the first picture of that item is the front page of the booklet.

R-9589683-1483281062-8681 (1).jpg

I know this because the picture is square, and I've also got this specific release in my collection. The 2-CD set has different artwork on the front of the booklet, according to discogs.

R-1193140-1532297308-7976.jpg

On 05/01/2023 at 3:44 PM, crocodile said:

Well, they told me to keep the extra copy and will send Amistad. Always pleasant service from the guys at LLL. :)

Karol

Happened to me with LLL and Star Trek V back in the day...

I also got to keep it thankfully, return postage being exhorbitant even back then.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Because the first picture of that item is the front page of the booklet.

R-9589683-1483281062-8681 (1).jpg

I know this because the picture is square, and I've also got this specific release in my collection. The 2-CD set has different artwork on the front of the booklet, according to discogs.

R-1193140-1532297308-7976.jpg

Could just be a crop of the double wide cover though?

image.jpeg

Pics? :)

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've also got this specific release in my collection

I miss these V/S RSNO re-recordings. Back in the late 90's pickings for soundtrack fans were meagre compared to the last two decades.

My favourite is The Alien Trilogy, love that Goldsmith Alien suite.

On 04/01/2023 at 5:24 PM, crocodile said:

My belated Christmas presents arrived all at once today:

20230104_172213.jpg

For some reason, they sent me two copies of The Godfather but no Amistad🤔🤣

Karol

Aaw! WATERSHIP DOWN. A beautiful score, from a beautiful film.

Akinola's tenure is complete. I also have about 5 albums on my 'to buy' list, which is usually not a good idea.

Oddly, while digital was by far the cheaper way to buy the Flux score, the CD was cheaper to buy for the final specials release.

Doctor-Who-13-Specials-OST.webp

And on a different topic, I got this for Christmas. I've somehow gone from being rather indifferent to their latest to actually enjoying it more consistently than their other albums.

Imagine_Dragons_Mercury_album_cover_2022.webp

image.jpeg

My third recording of the Rott symphony. First impression: Not quite up to the high standard set by Järvi, but still a very good one. And you can't get enough recordings of this fascinating masterpiece. (I'm still waiting for a chance to hear it live)

On 17/01/2023 at 6:35 PM, Holko said:

Digital purchase:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2Vz

(what a stupid image choice for a cover, will have to switch that)

I think that is a boot, which would explain the cover choice.