Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

6 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

2. I can finally ditch that horrible release that arrived unceremoniously in a cardboard sleeve.

Yea my HTTYD2 OST is in a digipak.  Where'd you find a jewel case version at?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea my HTTYD2 OST is in a digipak.  Where'd you find a jewel case version at?

A digipak would be acceptable to me, mine arrived in a literal cardboard sleeve.

Got it here after checking on Discogs which version it was:

https://www.loot.co.za/product/hkmg-2993-g950

10 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Two things:

1. My Star Trek movie score expansions set is now complete.

2. I can finally ditch that horrible release that arrived unceremoniously in a cardboard sleeve.

IMG_20230216_190442.jpg

I love Generations.  I think it’s sorely misunderstood. 

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

large_cover.jpgab67616d0000b27398b9b2771cc227ea114526ee.jpg600x600bf-60.jpg1200x1200bf-60 (2).jpgeyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiODY2NDY1NC4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6OTAwfSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE0MjY3ODAwMzJ9.jpg1200x1200bf-60 (3).jpgBATCD_FC.webp

Karol

Two things. I’ve had dinner with Claude-Michel Schönberg when my partner arranged for him to come to Guernsey to talk about his career (and visit Victor Hugo’s house). He was not especially impressed when I mentioned JW… I didn’t like to point out that CMS has written about two and a half successful musicals and JW has written ten times as many scores that are at least as well known as Les Miz (as it is officially and depressingly called… it’s in the Sondheim theatre in London. It’s what Steven would have wanted 🙄). Still a fascinating person to have met and he even liked the choice of restaurant (scary picking somewhere to eat when you’re choosing for someone who has more money than he could possibly ever need as well as being French, fortunately Guernsey is blessed with a surprisingly decent array of places to eat). Anyway that was today’s #humblebrag. 

Second thing. What’s the Don Davis album and is it any good?!

6 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Two things. I’ve had dinner with Claude-Michel Schönberg when my partner arranged for him to come to Guernsey to talk about his career (and visit Victor Hugo’s house). He was not especially impressed when I mentioned JW… I didn’t like to point out that CMS has written about two and a half successful musicals and JW has written ten times as many scores that are at least as well known as Les Miz (as it is officially and depressingly called… it’s in the Sondheim theatre in London. It’s what Steven would have wanted 🙄). Still a fascinating person to have met and he even liked the choice of restaurant (scary picking somewhere to eat when you’re choosing for someone who has more money than he could possibly ever need as well as being French, fortunately Guernsey is blessed with a surprisingly decent array of places to eat). Anyway that was today’s #humblebrag. 

Second thing. What’s the Don Davis album and is it any good?!

Oh that's a shame about John Williams comments. But then, artists are often insecure and miserable gits. Unnecessary, really.

The Davis "album" is actually just one 11-minute piece. I rather enjoy it, quite accessible and very much in his The Matrix world. Certainly, worth 2 quid. 😀

Karol

20 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Oh that's a shame about John Williams comments. But then, artists are often insecure and miserable gits. Unnecessary, really.

The Davis "album" is actually just one 11-minute piece. I rather enjoy it, quite accessible and very much in his The Matrix world. Certainly, worth 2 quid. 😀

Karol

I wasn’t too bothered and I figured he’d be the kind of person to bring up the “stealing from the classics” argument. We also talked about Bernard Herrmann and other film composers with fewer areas to dispute their genius (I was going to mention Andrew Lloyd Webber but decided not to poke the bear lol).

I’ll have to check out the Don Davis track if it’s available!

16 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I’ll have to check out the Don Davis track if it’s available!

It is on Spotify.

Listening to these pieces destroys a little the illusion that Davis developed a dedicated Matrix sound. He just developed a dedicated Don Davis sound, and that is what we hear in the Matrix and most of his other works.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Digital only then I guess?

46 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

It is on Spotify.

Listening to these pieces destroys a little the illusion that Davis developed a dedicated Matrix sound. He just developed a dedicated Don Davis sound, and that is what we hear in the Matrix and most of his other works.

Thank you. Will see if I can get a lossless download from somewhere. 

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

A definite and totally unplanned focus on romance in two-thirds of this batch ❤️

IMG_20230218_145633.jpg

Finally you get a real release too between the tons and tons of bargain bin shovelware! ;)

Recently supported two specialty labels who released physical CD editions of scores otherwise primarily available digitally

Giacchino's The Batman from Mondo

The Batman reboot: trailer italiano, curiosità e anticipazioni

and Drew Neumann's Æon Flux from Waxworks

ÆON FLUX Original Series Box Set – Waxwork Records

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Holko said:

Latest digital batch:

The only Deriviere score I've heard is Remember Me - have you heard that one?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The only Deriviere score I've heard is Remember Me - have you heard that one?

Nope. But I've played PT:I and started PT:R and I love the soundscapes and varied effects they achieve with the cello!

1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

Digipaks are ok. As long as they have hubs to hold the discs (not envelopes) and are stored in plastic sleeves.

Unfortunately, that is not the case here. It is also my least favourite variant with the CD just in the cardboard sleeve.

On 03/03/2023 at 5:50 PM, GerateWohl said:

Unfortunately, that is not the case here. It is also my least favourite variant with the CD just in the cardboard sleeve.

I heave a rather large sigh when I receive a CD release which is basically just a cardboard booklet with a slot for a CD, almost guaranteeing damage.

While not as bad as that, I was a bit 'what the hell?' when I was upgrading two Doctor Who releases from digital to physical last month and found that series 12 was a digipak where all of Akinola's other releases are jewel cases. Ultimately I don't actually care - I just wanted to own the entire set on CD, but I just found it weird.

Recently, I ordered a 3-CD set, and I was surprised to find that it came in a (nicely presented, I'll grant you) digi-pack, but without a hint of a booklet. Since I was very familiar with the artist, that bit didn't bother me. The songs, btw, are uniformly great.

Am I alone, or ar at least a rarity in really not caring about booklets?

Not wanting to denigrate the hard work of those who write such booklets, especially for speciality releases, but I rarely read them.

10 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Am I alone, or ar at least a rarity in really not caring about booklets?

Not wanting to denigrate the hard work of those who write such booklets, especially for speciality releases, but I rarely read them.

I read a few but shamefully few compared to how many limited editions I own and am (in theory!) super interested in the music and the composer. Ironically I’d  probably read more if it was a digital release with a good quality digital booklet (like the classical labels do so well).