Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

From the past month or so:

SpaceCamp

Warhorse

Tintin

I took advantage of the Herrmann boxset coming out to pick up some classics cheaply:

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Ghost and Mrs Muir

The Day The Earth Stood Still

And because Amazon gave my $5 worth of MP3 credit for buying War Horse and Tintin I am now downloading:

61jUsv2Vh9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

512DcD96eCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

:music: Nocturne/The Flashlight/The Robot/ Space Control

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy". I haven't had a chance to hear it yet (been so busy with the washing of the dishes), but I'll give it a spin over the New Year. I've also bought "TGWTDT", and "Fingerbobs" (yes, THAT "Fingerbobs"), and "The Sorcerer", by Tangerine Dream.

Merkel,

Did you get the "Deluxe Edition" for The Matrix as well? If not you should. Grant it's not complete like the sessions are, but it's great to have the previously unreleased music in legit format now.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (the "Enhanced CD" with 23 tracks)

John Williams: Trumpet Concerto/Essay for Strings

Thanks to ETandElliotForever for bringing the second one to my attention. It briefly was back in stock, then it briefly was out of stock, and when it went back in stock I pounced on it. Only $12, new from Amazon! What a deal. I'm excited start collecting more of JW's concert works. Next on my radar is the horn concerto.

If anybody else wants to get this cheap, there aren't a lot left:

http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Trumpet-Concerto-Featuring-Sandoval/dp/B00006F7K4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1325534865&sr=1-1

Merkel,

Did you get the "Deluxe Edition" for The Matrix as well? If not you should. Grant it's not complete like the sessions are, but it's great to have the previously unreleased music in legit format now.

I'm afraid not, Trent. I got the cd for an incredibly low price (the price did not even reach 1 euro), and since this is a score I'm not particularly familiar witth (and I'm not a big fan of the movie), I'd rather digest it with a shorter edition and then, if justified, move on to the expanded

There's a lot of excellent material missing from the OST. The expansion doesn't omit any significant set pieces, as far as I remember, but does suffer from some microedits (especially in the opening track, which sadly is identical to the OST version).

Oh, and to anyone who likes the boldly minimalistic aspects of The Matrix, I highly recommend Aaron J. Kernis' symphonies.

I ordered Sinatra and the Count Basie Orchestra at the Sands as well as Steven Bryant's "Estatic Waters."

Great, you like Steve's music? He's a good friend of mine, we've collaborated very successfuly twice in the World Youth Wind Orchestra Project - WYWOP, which plays one of his pieces every year, last year we did Anthem and the year before, the 1st movement of Alchemy in Silent Spaces. Such great music, and what a nice guy he is! Last year, I even gave him some advice as a percussionist for Anthem, and working with him is always a great experience.

Waiting for the arrival of the X-Files box from LLL. Also chucked Legion in as it's only $10.

I found that if I removed about 10 tracks from disc 2, and a few other omissions, it's a really nice set, so I took the plunge. Not so sure about the upcoming volume 2 though, as MV mentioned it's going to be less thematic in its selections.

I ordered Sinatra and the Count Basie Orchestra at the Sands as well as Steven Bryant's "Estatic Waters."

Great, you like Steve's music? He's a good friend of mine, we've collaborated very successfuly twice in the World Youth Wind Orchestra Project - WYWOP, which plays one of his pieces every year, last year we did Anthem and the year before, the 1st movement of Alchemy in Silent Spaces. Such great music, and what a nice guy he is! Last year, I even gave him some advice as a percussionist for Anthem, and working with him is always a great experience.

Wow, that's awesome! I'm not too familiar with his work - all I've heard is "Ecstatic Waters," "Dusk," and "Stampede," but I really like them all.

My FSM order arrived yesterday (Or the day before, can't remember now). The one with Mr. Chips, Gremlins, Nightwatch, Under Fire, the print archive, and my FREE OMNIBUS BOX!! Booohyea!

Wow, that's awesome! I'm not too familiar with his work - all I've heard is "Ecstatic Waters," "Dusk," and "Stampede," but I really like them all.

That's cool but you definitely need to hear more! ;) So on Steve's website, you can find a lot of samples and recordings of his other pieces.

Tintin: http://www.jwfan.com...showtopic=21143

Super 8: http://www.jwfan.com...ndpost&p=776779

Also you really need to read your PMs more often

This post really made me think: how do Academy members make up their minds on which score to vote for?

From the way that all these CDs are passed around, it would seem that people give them a spin, and then see what sounds the nicest. If this is true, then it is a really crass way of casting a vote.

Is there any attention to how the music is placed in a film, how it complements the visual elements, of a film, or how it fits into the overall soundtrack?

It is my hope that The AMPAS has a an intelligent way of voting for best score (original, or adapted). These freebie CDs would suggest otherwise.

Two CDs for my birthday last Friday:

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain: The Secret of Life

Rota: Concertos (I Virtuosi Italiani, Conti)

I'm still only halfway through the Herrmann box and have only played the first disc of the Raksin set and only the Williams score from the Blue Box, but my next SAE batch already arrived:

Burwell: Rob Roy

Goldenthal: Batman Forever

Goldsmith: The Sand Pebbles

McCreary: Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1, 2 & 3

Rosenman: Star Trek IV

Vangelis: 1492 - Conquest of Paradise

Horray for used CDs.

The first two discs were nice, but didn't fully grab me (perhaps on a second listen). The middle section of the box has some awesome stuff though, even aside from 12 Mile Reef, Hangover Square and White Witch Doctor (which were major reasons for me getting the set in the first place).

WAR HORSE.

Ditto. Decided to buy it on CD from Amazon - I want flacs.

Also put Soul Surfer and Source Code into my Intrada basket (Lakeshore only distributes to itunes in the UK, which kinda sucks), but I won't submit that until I know what the 'part 3' release this week is.

The Ninth Gate by Wojchiech Kilar

Bought that one two a few weeks ago, but I still haven't got it (I send my cd purchases to a friend's UK address, since it's much cheaper, and every two months or so she brings them to Portugal)

The Ninth Gate by Wojchiech Kilar

Bought that one two a few weeks ago, but I still haven't got it (I send my cd purchases to a friend's UK address, since it's much cheaper, and every two months or so she brings them to Portugal)

I have had a chance to listen to the CD halfway through. It definitely sounds like Kilar with hints of horror and film noir thrown in for colour. :)

The Score by Howard Shore

Ralph Vaughan Williams Works for String Orchestra performed by the English String Orchestra conducted by William Boughton