Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I think the score is good all the way through, in either the old presentation or the new. The new one fleshes out some ideas more, and the sound quality is a huge improvement.

The movie I saw once, it's pretty cheesy.

This is what I call filling the small holes left in my Williams collection.

The Denver Brass has the added incentive of having the Winter Games Fanfare on it, which has not been previously recorded. The other performances on the album seem to vary from iffy to good on the whole.

What's iffy about te performances? Been awhile since I listened but I remember them all bein pretty good. And it's a cool arrangement of the Sw music

I think it is about the arrangements and how the pieces sound in the all-brass setting, which might be why I thought there were some missed notes etc. My experience on brass band music is limited so I am perhaps listening with too critical an ear for new interpretation from a different ensemble than what I am used to.

I received my signed Jupiter Ascending from Varese

I also received some titles I bought from La-La Land's 20% off sale at $12.80 a piece:

John Ottman - X2 X-Men United 2CD

Vincent Diamante - Flower

Hans Zimmer - Broken Arrow 2CD

28383.jpg20581.gif14943.gif

A part of me wants to buy the Broken Arrow expanded, the other part is perfectly happy with the Milan release. An hour of some of the most badass music Zimmer ever wrote. Never fails to get my blood pumping that one. :rock:

I heard the expanded once shortly after release, and I found all the newly arranged tracks a bit less entertaining than what I knew and loved since 1996. Then again, I would welcome having another presentation where the score flows a bit differently.

Jazz On Film... Crime Jazz (8 CD compilation of 1950s and 60s jazz scores for TV shows): Mostly bought for Williams's M-Squad and Checkmate but Mancini's Peter Gunn and Bernstein's Staccato among others are not bad either. :)

Star Wars Anthology: I found a near pristine copy at a local used CDs store for a decent price. Happy day! :D

Angela's Ashes, but The European edition, I only want the music, not the narration.

Angelas_ashes_Fr_466761.jpg

Wow I didn't know there was a French cover for the soundtrack.

Ugly ass cover!

Yes, perhaps ugliest in Williams's discography.

I had bought this on release not knowing that the US edition had the voice-over.

I've become so used to the narration, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It adds even more weight to the drama in the music I think.

I had bought this on release not knowing that the US edition had the voice-over.

I've become so used to the narration, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It adds even more weight to the drama in the music I think.

I usually do my own narration over JW's music.

Shakti De! Johnny W.! Johnny W.! Shakti De! Johnny W.! Johnny. W! Johnny W! Johnny W.! Johnny Ram.! Sudha W! Johnny Ram! Johnny W.! Johnny W! Shakti De!

I could never understand the hate for this artwork. Honestly.

Karol

It is not attractive in the least. I guess it captures the drab world of Frank McCourt's miserable childhood but it is not pretty. But the music is the thing that matters and it is brilliant.

It seems fine to me. It's not nearly as bad as the Dances with Wolves cover or the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition cover.

OK the Ultimate Edition is far worse.

I love that cover, it's a beautiful photograph

It's those creepy accusing eyes. They keep following me. Scary.

Exactly. My cover was different, though. Some copies in Europe had different one altogether.

Karol

Exactly. My cover was different, though. Some copies in Europe had different one altogether.

Karol

Is it this one?:

61T605QRXSL.jpg

Well when the competition is this silly, the black and white cover looks pretty good in comparison. ;)

Henceforth let it be known that a listen of the film score Angela's Ashes by Mr. John Williams shall always be followed by the following emoticon:

:P <-- a grin to indicate the listen was joyous, and the tongue out so there can be no doubt it was Angela's Ashes.

I think the only thing missing from the LLL set are the alternate The Arrival of Tink and the Flight to Neverland and choirless ending of You Are the Pan (aka The Face of Pan). The LLL set is very much build around the original album (I guess per Williams' wishes).

Also some shorter versions of things that got expanded on the LLL set. You can probably find it for a penny so it's not a waste of money or anything, but I dunno how often you'd listen to it.

Oh ok might be misremembering. Listened to this set only once. In any case, album version is worth having.

But only if you can get it cheap.

Karol

Hook joins the pile of Williams scores that have been expanded, but a truly definitive set still awaits them. Like the Indy scores, ET, CE3K, and Jaws.

Hook joins the pile of Williams scores that have been expanded, but a truly definitive set still awaits them. Like the Indy scores, ET, CE3K, and Jaws.

Unfortunate but true.

It's all business, so you will buy the next set when that happens. And the next after it because that one is missing the food insert again.

That's why I made my own definitive edition of Hook.

It's all business, so you will buy the next set when that happens. And the next after it because that one is missing the food insert again.

That's why I made my own definitive edition of Hook.

In Hook's case I assume the problem was rather the missing materials they could not locate, not just composer's distaste of releasing his biggest and most popular scores in complete form.

It was mostly studio politics I'm sure.

It always is a web of intrigue and plots. Insidious.