Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I don't know. Never was a big fan of this one. I will revisit it and then make a decision and perhaps bundle it up with something else (there are a couple of Varese titles I still want).

Karol

I hate 25 % sales on lalalandrecords.com.

1 A.I.
ARTIFICIAL
INTELLIGENCE

1 Empire of the
Sun

1 Rosewood  
1 HOME ALONE 2  

I also took advantage of LLL's 25% off sale, and ordered these last Thursday

28441.jpg  sumofallfears-cover-300x300.jpg (300×300)   25365.jpg   30888.jpg   29055.jpg

1 hour after placing my order, I had a shipping notice, and they arrived in Monday's mail.  Sweet!

A great soundtrack just purchased from Amazon France... was strangely missing from my collection!

Cherchez l'idole (1963)

Music by Georges Garvarentz. Songs written by Charles Aznavour.

30340.jpg

I believe Richard thought you meant you hated sales and was baffled why would you like the CDs to be full priced to buy them rather than with 25% discount. He didn't quite get the fact (or was being facetious) you were just commenting how a discount makes it such a temptation to buy these expanded releases and will cost you quite a bit of money in the process none the less.

Those albums were on my wishlist for a moment... the 25 % sale simply urge me to press on the "order" button. I'm like that!

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

I believe Richard thought you meant you hated sales and was baffled why would you like the CDs to be full priced to buy them rather than with 25% discount. He didn't quite get the fact (or was being facetious) you were just commenting how a discount makes it such a temptation to buy these expanded releases and will cost you quite a bit of money in the process none the less.

Thanks for that, Canc. I was definitely not trying to be facetoius (I've no idea what the word means!:D) but I take your point: "25% off" does have a nice ring to it.

On 13.3.2016 at 1:19 AM, crocodile said:

Found this at HMV in London earlier today:

71yFl6MiehL._SX355_.jpg

Karol

Apart from the buzzing fart-like synth effects the score is pure action gold.

On 13 March 2016 at 11:19 PM, crocodile said:

Found this at HMV in London earlier today:

71yFl6MiehL._SX355_.jpg

Karol

It's a great score, to be sure!

As with the "Omen" trilogy, the scores get better with every film. Incanus is right about the synths, but, hey, it was the mid 80s!

Croc, out of interest, which HMV did you find this at, and which record shops in London do you shop at regurlarly? I favour Sister Ray, Reckless Records, Fopp at Cambridge Circus, and the Record and Tape Exchange at Notting Hill.

13 hours ago, Incanus said:

Apart from the buzzing fart-like synth effects the score is pure action gold.

Nothing wrong with the synths. The score is the best action score there is.

I picked up these at HMV Oxford Street last Friday:

Newman: Spectre

Goldenthal: Heat

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 with Finale (Rattle)

Vaughan Williams: Folksong Arrangements (Tear/Ledger/Bean/Stewart/Ibbott)

Vaughan Williams/Delius/Finzi: Piano Conertos/Eclogue (Lane/Handley)

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 with Finale (Rattle)

I'm not a big Rattle fan, but that's a good recording with a wonderful reconstruction of a finale that is more complete than people realize.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Nothing wrong with the synths. The score is the best action score there is.

Nothing wrong except it sounds awful and distracting.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No YOU sound awful and distracting!

I'm no Kate Mulgrew that's for sure.

On 15/03/2016 at 0:41 AM, nightscape94 said:

I'm not a big Rattle fan, but that's a good recording with a wonderful reconstruction of a finale that is more complete than people realize.

I generally like Rattle, and his Bruckner is often excellent. This isn't really a first rate recording of the 9th. The first movement didn't quite convince me, and throughout the CD there are lots of instances where the instrumental balances seem off - often bits that are usually played very prominently seem barely audible, to the point where sometimes themes sound unfamiliar as if something was missing. It seems to be an engineering problem rather than an artistic one, but it's still confusing at times.

The middle movements are very solid though, and then there's the most satisfying version of the finale I've heard yet. This symphony (with finale) has been one of my favourites for 20 years, and the coda still gave me goosebumps.

I agree, the reconstructed finale of the 9th is still underappreciated. Many still think that the Adagio is the fitting finale for the symphony, but in reality they are just used to it.

• 4 weeks later...

on iTunes:

p_hmu807556.jpg

Sound The Bells! (American Premières For Brass) / The Bay Brass (2011, Harmonia Mundi, HMU 807556)

John Williams: Sound The Bells!, Fanfare For A Festive Occasion, Aloft... To The Royal Masthead!

Picked up Eastern Promises by Howard Shore second hand for €4.99 yesterday. Was going for much higher prices on eBay last time I checked. 

44 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Picked up Eastern Promises by Howard Shore second hand for €4.99 yesterday. Was going for much higher prices on eBay last time I checked. 

Excellent stuff. Shore very aptly captures both Slavonic melancholy and darkness of the subject matter with his music. Plus Nicola Benedetti's violin solos are wonderful. There is strange beauty in the often bleak soundscapes of this score and occasional moments of touching lyricism.

Got an email notification at like 12:15am from MovieMusic that it become available.  Purchased in bed, with my phone, about 15 minutes later.  Gotta love the combining factors of technology and laziness.

It is undeniably sad that David Arnold no longer scores the films of Roland Emmerich. His music from Independence Day was one of the best scores of the 1990s, in my opinion. I cannot imagine how many times I have listened to it.

Just placed a nice order at Intrada to take advantage of their 25% off sale.  And sadly Back To The Future Part II Expanded is temporarily out of stock so I couldn't include that one in my order - bah!

30481.gif   30316.gif   30578.jpg   29009.gif   29478.gif   28448.jpg   31070.gif   26894.jpg   29008.jpg   30579.jpg

Total including shipping was $203.00 - not bad considering six out of the ten are $30 two-CD sets!

I ended up placing a second order at Intrada using their 25% to get all their latest Goldsmith titles I didn't have yet

4769.gif   29477.gif   30182.jpg   28494.jpg   28808.gif   28921.gif   29311.gif   29618.gif

Geez, that was fast.  The order I placed Monday from Intrada already arrived today!

I wonder if my box o' Goldsmith will arrive tomorrow...

My box o' Goldsmith titles from the Intrada sale arrived the other day, very speedy!

Ordered 10 Cloverfield Lane autographed from LLL

51RzPdvYJmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (280×280)

Pre-ordered The BFG OST from Amazon.com

Received three CD's off Amazon yesterday:

10 Cloverfield Lane. It has a nice 24-page booklet in which McCreary talks about his creative process. Really neat!

Black Gold. Had the iTunes album for years but it's such a good Horner score that I wanted a physical release. And it was really cheap.

Gods of Egypt. One of the most enjoyable scores of 2016 so far. And in fact it might be one of Marco Beltrami's best.

Karol

Yeah, I know they always take their time. But if it starts shipping in three weeks... and mine never ship within the first few days... I will get those in about 5 weeks (given that it takes an entire week to get here). That seems like ages.

Karol