Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

Don't let it happen, again.

Oh it's just the beginning!

I know the concept of expanded scores only since I joined this forum in 2013. And yet, it took me few years before really joining the "club" and order my first expanded score CD!

These releases made by specialized labels are really for a small circle of initiated people.  If you are not on a forum about film music, you can't really know what's happening.

Now any hints about Heidi, Midway, How To Steal a Million/Bachelor Flat or The Poseidon Adventure? ;)

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

He-he. Have you tried Amazon, and/or EBay?

Ebay... I let it down definitely, their way of calcultaing postal fees for Canada simply don't work. I'm really not ready to pay 75 $CAN for a CD.

And we are going to say the real things... we already have everything on our harddrive... We can find everything we want on internet... But when CDs are reissued by the specialized labels, we pay to get them. At least, - I - pay for them. So please, just reissue them...

Bes, could you please post an image of your CE3K CD? I don't recognize either the number, or the spine lettering font. I can make-out the word "fidelity" (Mo Fi?). It doesn't look like the Arista, and it certainty doesn't look like the Varèse.

Hey...it's not a naughty boot, is it?

21 minutes ago, Richard said:

Hey...it's not a naughty boot, is it?

A bootleg on my shelves? Never!

That's the 2015 SACD reissue of the original album, including the disco version.

p_ce3k_sacd.jpg

(Reissued in 2015 as a SACD, Audio Fidelity/Sony Music Commercial Music Group, AFZ 226)

Main Title And Mountain Visions; Nocturnal Pursuit; The Abduction Of Barry; I Can't Believe It's Real; Climbing Devil's Tower; The Arrival Of Sky Harbor; Night Seige; The Conversation; The Appearance Of The Visitors; Resolution And End Title; BONUS TRACK: Theme From Close Encounters of The Third Kind (disco version).

At the risk of repeating myself, one of the great things of having ALL the albums of John Williams in ONE single page in my disco, is that you can search by year.

I try to list each reissues, digital or LP too,

Searching "2015" or "2016" by example, will allow you to know if you missed a thing!

I pre-ordered Sherlock: Series 4, mostly to get that nifty exclusive Abominable Bride CD. I decided to splurge and pick up physical copies of Series 12 and 3 as well so I'd get a nice bundle of Sherlock scores in the post next month. To my surprise, the first three albums have already shipped and are on their way here. Hurray!

Yea, I got my Season 1 in the mail a couple weeks ago, which I ordered in the same order as the Season 4 special.  I was surprised they didn't just wait to mail them both together

I've been listening to the three scores as I ordered them around the same time as the season 4 CD set. 

Season 2 Episode 1 has some great cues. Irene's theme is excellent. 

A used copy and from the CBC at 20 $CAN, that's my chance!

I always want the OST, even if I own the Expanded Score... When I die, they'll look at my CD collection and say: "Wow, he really followed the career of John Williams closely, buying each CD when they came out. Great fan."

:D

p_07822110002.jpg

Home Alone 2 – Lost in New York [Original Soundtrack Album] (1992, Fox Records, 07822-11002-2)

Somewhere In My Memory; Home Alone; We Overslept Again; Christmas Star; Arrival In New York; Plaza Hotel and Duncan's Toy Store; Congierge and Race To The Room; Star Of Bethlehem; The Thieves Return; Appearance Of Pigeon Lady; Christmas At Carnegie Hall; Into The Park; Haunted Brownstone; Christmas Star and Preparing The Trap; To The Plaza Presto; Reunion At Rockefeller Center; Kevin's Booby Traps; Finale; Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas.

11 minutes ago, publicist said:

This release coded the cd with a wrong pitch/speed.

Yes I remember having read that somewhere. 

I guess it needs the same speed adjustment for the whole CD?

Well, if it's less than a semi tone...

I digitally restore LPs each week... adjusting each time the pitch by ear using a keyboard... but, between us, the pitch of analog recordings... it's a so modern concern!

Thanks to another tip from @BloodBoal, this week I received in the mail another one of the few JW OSTs I didn't own yet:

The 1995 Columbia / Legacy edition of The Reivers:

51rWUXmncPL.jpg (500×500)

I didn't realize until I got it, that it's actually technically an expanded release!  It contains one extra track the LP doesn't, and actually includes the reel/part numbers in the booklet!

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I didn't realize until I got it, that it's actually technically an expanded release! 

Indeed, and it's appearing like that in my Wiki article!

A Great album!!! (althought I have to find a physicial copy too!!!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Expanded_reissue_albums

I wonder if adding that one cue made it a complete presentation? Probably not but you never know. I've never seen the film. 

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I just have one thing to say : Hi-Ha!

Bes, you have been drinking your whisky from Kentucky. 

For the love of everything sacred, and profound, and holy, and good, please explain, or else, is this another reference to the T-Rex in your bed?

Jay, you changed it! I preferred "male". Let's hope that you didn't have shit service? :lol:

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

I guess it needs the same speed adjustment for the whole CD?

Well, if it's less than a semi tone...

If you compare the new releases (there are thousands of them by now) sound a bit fuller and not as thin-nish as the old Fox records one and the tracks run probably 3 or 4 seconds longer depending on their length. 'Main Title' is like 2 minutes on the old release and 2'05 on the new one. I found the effect jarring enough to ditch the old album at some point even if i saw no reason for the upgrade length-wise.

61PrG5Lxo8L._SS500.jpg

Although that's not what my cover looks like. Can't find a version of the 2016 version anywhere. Still never seen the documentary but I think every Irish person is familiar with the music at this point. 

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire - Joel McNeely

Even with the same ensemble and engineers, it doesn't sound as vibrant as Varese's "Hollywood '95" recording a year earlier. The CD overall is pretty solid, though, with some nice liner notes.

I'm almost tempted to buy the novel as well.

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

Cool! What's on it?

Not many Williams, but eh...

Tanglewood 75th Anniversary Celebration / Ax, Serkin, Ma, Mutter, Taylor, Lockhart, Williams, Asbury, Nelsons, Boston Pops O, Tanglewood Music Center O, Boston SO (2013, C Major Entertainment)

Fanfare for the Common Man (Copland); Three Dance Episodes from On the Town (Bernstein); Selections from The Great American Songbook* (featuring James Taylor): Over the Rainbow / Shall We Dance / Old Man River; Excerpts from Keyboard Concerto in D major, Hob.XVIII:11 (Haydn); Andante Cantabile from String Quartet No. 1, Op. 11 (Tchaikovsky); Carmen Fantasy, Op. 25 (Sarasate); La valse (Ravel); Fantasia in C minor, Op. 80, "Choral Fantasy" (Beethoven); BONUS: The History of Tanglewood, John Williams about Tanglewood. Recorded live at Tanglewood, July 14, 2012. *Conducted by John Williams.

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/dvd/index.htm

At first I thought it featured excerpts from this 2009 recording with James Taylor, but I think it's from a whole new concert recorded in 2012.

With James Taylor

p_tanglewood75.jpg

James Taylor And Friends (2009) (2012, BSO Classics, Digital Release; Taylor, Boston Pops Esplanade O/Williams)

Music conducted by John Williams.

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It's not Courtship of Princess Leia levels of bad but it's not much better. 

The phermone stuff is just weird. 

And Luke's character is off, more ANH-ESB than ROTJ.

Ordered on Amazon!

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « Johnny Mercer: Dream's on Me »

Clint Eastwood Presents - Johnny Mercer: The Dream's on Me (2009, TCM)

DISC 1: Great American Songwriter; "This Time the Dream's on Me"; A Southerner Through and Through; Wordplay; "Skylark"; "Jeepers, Creepers"; "Too Marvelous for Words"; Hoagy Carmichael; "Hooray for Hollywood"; Judy Garland; "Laura"; "That Old Black Magic"; "Blues in the Night"; "One for My Baby"; "Mandy Is Two"; Jerome Kern; A Capitol Endeavor; St Louis Woman; "Something's Gotta Give"; Li'l Abner; "Moon River"; "Days of Wine and Roses"; "I Wanna Be Around"; Closing Credits; DISC 2 - SPECIAL FEATURES: At the Piano with Clint Eastwood; with Clint Eastwood and John Williams; with Clint Eastwood and Jamie Cullum; STUDIO PERFORMANCES: "That Old Black Magic: - Jamie Cullum"; "This Time the Dream's On Me" - Morgan Eastwood; "I Had Myself a True Love" - Audra McDonald with John Williams; "Skylark" - Maude Maggart with Jamie Cullum; "Emily" - Alan Bergman with Jamie Cullum; "Too Marvelous for Words" - Michael Feinstein with Bucky Pizzarelli and Jay Leonart; "Laura" - Michael Feinstein with Bucky Pizzarelli; "Lazybones" - Dr John; "Any Place I Hang My Hat Is Home" - Dr John` "Talk To Me Baby" - Cleo Laine and John Dankworth; BIOGRAPHICAL MATERIAL: "Family History Photos" - Narrated by Nancy Gerard, Johnny Mercer's Neice` "The Art of Mercer" - Narrated by Nancy Gerard; "The Life of Johnny Mercer" Essay by Biographer Glenn T. Eskew.