John Adams blacklisted!?

untouchables

I know that there is some John Adams reputation among JW collectors here,

Anyone know why J. Adams is blacklisted by US security? is it because the political influence of his works?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/oct/19/classicalmusicandopera-usnationalsecurity

is it true or just a hoax to pay more attention on him!

It remembers me how Prokofiev and Shostakovitch were pursued by NKVD :mellow:

adamsL_243x222.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen many articles criticizing the US No-Fly list. Reports of names being added, but no details being associated with them. It is possible that it was a different John Adams that was put on the list, so with just the name to go by, all of them get the hostile treatment. I just checked my local phone book and in a area of approximately 100,000 people there are two listings for John Adams. Projecting that up to the nation, that would be 6,000 men named John Adams.

I have personal experience-- a few years ago a local youth sports league did background checks of all of the volunteers. The company that ran them only put the first and last names through a national database and spat out the matches. It came back with a match on my name as a registered sex offender, but it did include details-- the match's middle initial, physical description, and city and state of residence. As I have a different middle initial, am seven inches taller, quite paler, and live three thousand miles away, I was cleared by the group and was allowed to volunteer.

Unfortunately, it comes with having a common name.

Now I get why JW doesn't travel abroad anymore. With such a common name he probably fears he might not be let back in.

Actually, I believe "John Williams" has already been reported as blacklisted a couple of years ago.

If that is such a great idea, why do only the Spanish use it?

most south america does it also ;)

I think portugal (and then brazil) use it too (official confirmation romao or miguel?)

But i dont know why other countries do not use it. Its rather useful.

It's rather confusing, actually.

really?

More information is more confusing?

Adding Senior, Junior, III, IV... has the same end, to differenciate members of the same lineage with the same name. But is it not better to honor your mother's family using their surname instead of common words (that the rest of the population also use), while at the same time you have the bonus of differenciate yourself from people that are called like you outside your family?

The odds of someone being named exactly like you are very diminished. So official, bureaucratic errors are less possible.

most south america does it also :P

I think portugal (and then brazil) use it too (official confirmation romao or miguel?)

Yes, it's the same in Portugal. Though funny things happen if those names are taken outside the country: In Germany when marrying you either keep your name, take the name of your partner, or combine the too... So when my mother chose the third option, she ended up with three surnames ;)

most south america does it also :P

Yes, it's the same in Portugal. Though funny things happen if those names are taken outside the country: In Germany when marrying you either keep your name, take the name of your partner, or combine the too... So when my mother chose the third option, she ended up with three surnames ;)

I have friends with 6 surnames.

My full name is Romão Joaquim Maia dos Santos

Six?? :angry: That's really a bit excessive... but I guess that way their name is definitely unique wordwide :(

For completeness's sake, my full name is Christian Joannis Gonçalves Afonso

Six?? :angry: That's really a bit excessive... but I guess that way their name is definitely unique wordwide :(

For completeness's sake, my full name is Christian Joannis Gonçalves Afonso

If I was told that Christian Joannis Gonçalves Afonso or Romão Joaquim Maia dos Santos was to come to dinner, I would expect at least 4 people ;)