North by Northwest blu-ray

Hitch

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt knew blu-rays were region free...

So a film in blu-ray is the same version for the whole world?

Essentially, yes. However, I know there are several Blu-ray titles which are still region-coded (correct me if I'm wrong).

IMHO, the greatest blessing of HD, apart from superb audio & video, is the fact there will be no more inconstiencies derived from the format (i.e.: PAL sped-up or NTSC duped fields). It's about time! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Blu-ray_regions_with_key.png

Blu Ray regions.

IMHO, the greatest blessing of HD, apart from superb audio & video, is the fact there will be no more inconstiencies derived from the format (i.e.: PAL sped-up or NTSC duped fields). It's about time!

That's not true either.

US and Europe (and Australia for that matter) use different digital radio system, US is ATSC and Europe is DVB-T. Also frame rate differs in the same way, 25fps vs 30fps.

Although at least this doesn't totally apply to Blu Ray, progressive Blu Ray at 24fps 1080p is same every where.

That's the point. Films run at (nearly) their original speed. DVDs were either jerky or too fast, unless you had a player that would do 24p from NTSC (and then it still wouldn't work with PAL).

IMHO, the greatest blessing of HD, apart from superb audio & video, is the fact there will be no more inconstiencies derived from the format (i.e.: PAL sped-up or NTSC duped fields). It's about time!

That's not true either.

US and Europe (and Australia for that matter) use different digital radio system, US is ATSC and Europe is DVB-T. Also frame rate differs in the same way, 25fps vs 30fps.

Although at least this doesn't totally apply to Blu Ray, progressive Blu Ray at 24fps 1080p is same every where.

You're right, I meant Blu-Ray, not HD in general.

Because Cary Grant is running towards us?

That seems to be it.

Following that logic, than Grant is running North towards the audience and the other arrow is pointing west, thereby being completely accurate (though more than a bit confusing).

I don't plan on going Blu-ray anytime soon but this is my favorite Hitchcock film.

I'm in the process of upgrading, and it's my favourite Hitchcock as well (the only one I have on DVD so far, in fact). But I'll stick to the DVD for now.