A Soundtrack better than E.T.?

Swordfish392

Isn't E.T. something more of a generation thing? I wonder, does the new generation (who have posters of District 9 hanging on their walls) still relate to the score and film as much as people did in 1982?

Alex

I believe Blade Runner fits that criteria as well.

E.T. is a true definition of a great score. It belongs up there with all the greatest scores ever composed.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this. Without the magical score, that silly looking brown puppet would lose a lot of its charm and appeal. Williams' score helps gives E.T. his soul, and in that regard, is one of the most effective film scores ever, thus one of the greatest.

Anti-semite!

I've never seen Amistad, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Letters from Iwo Jima, or The Kite Runner, either.

Are there any more hate-mongering adjectives you'd like to brand me with?

I would say there are soundtracks on par with E.T., which include but are not limited to Jaws, Hook, Empire Strikes Back, and any of the three Indy scores.

The really good ones. They're all good to some degree, but some are more than others. And by that I mean the original three is better than the newer one.

I love the E.T. soundtrack but I cannot listen to it indefinately. Other scores are more durable, to me that is. Some of those are Jurassic Park, Sabrina, Always, Schindler's List and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Isn't that the case with almost every film, and score?

And in pop music, and in TV, and in art... etc...etc...

Of course but true art transcends generations: The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Scorsese's Raging Bull, Van Gogh, Welles' Citizen Kane, ... There is a lot of art that artists still refer to (in interviews and their work). I seldom hear them making references to ET. Sometimes the biggest blockbusters aren't the most lasting ones.

All those artists added something new to the artistic palette of their time. They invented something. E.T. didn't invent anything but it juggled with the existing techniques with such a coherence and such a strong pulse that it managed to be meaningful. It never tried to be state-of-the-art. Why would you remove it from that context?