The Asteroid Field

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and it just doesn't get old.

I still cannot believe I got to hear the film version live at the Symphony for a Saga.

That is all.

thats insane.

The Asteroid Field ..........and Meco!

That's insane.

Actually the reason I've listened 100 or so times is to accomplish a similar feat, should be interest. Will post it if I ever complete it. Pretty insane so far, though I like the Pink Floyd sound on this one. Mine's a little more aggressive.

I thought about leaving a comment regarding the importance of having sexual intercourse, but I decided against it.

The Asteroid Field ..........and Meco!

That's insane.

Actually the reason I've listened 100 or so times is to accomplish a similar feat, should be interest. Will post it if I ever complete it. Pretty insane so far, though I like the Pink Floyd sound on this one. Mine's a little more aggressive.

I was actually joking about your name, but I love Asteroid Field and Meco's version, I love all Meco's Star Wars stuff.

The asteroid field sequence is that rare blending of action, drama, tension, effects, music that all put together = magic.

This is one of my favorites from TESB. I have to say I'm a sucker for the short, well written action cues like this one. I'd also place Surprise Attack from Trek II and To Pankot Palace from TOD in the same category.

A short, great cue that knocks you back in your seat.

This is one of my favorites from TESB. I have to say I'm a sucker for the short, well written action cues like this one. I'd also place Surprise Attack from Trek II and To Pankot Palace from TOD in the same category.

So am I, although Clash of the Lightsabers has the number one spot for me. That performance of the love theme is so incredibly powerful.

One of the highlights, if not the main one, from TESB album.

A frenetic piece from start to finish that allows the listener a few moments to catch their breath. Hearing a live, non concert version of the cue was a real treat.

So am I, although Clash of the Lightsabers has the number one spot for me. That performance of the love theme is so incredibly powerful.

Among the action music in ESB my favorite is probably "The Battle of Hoth". I love its' broad, almost Wagnerian quality.

I love all the popular cues as much as anyone, but I have to mention a great one from ESB that never gets the full praise it deserves IMO: the short but wonderful Attacking a Star Destroyer. The action cues in ESB really sound like nothing Williams ever wrote before or since.

Not to forget the entire Rescue from Cloud City/Hyperspace sequence. Film music has rarely been so full of agony as when Luke is hanging from that antenna.

Very true.

I love all the popular cues as much as anyone, but I have to mention a great one from ESB that never gets the full praise it deserves IMO: the short but wonderful Attacking a Star Destroyer.

:mrgreen: Definitely a favourite.

The Asteroid Field - The Empire Strikes Back

2:18-2:41

This section is my particular favourite in the cue for a few reasons. One huge reason is that the rousing performance by the LSO of the harmonic chords being played gives the cue the major excitement that the scene needed (well done on the timpani rolls). It feels like you're going on a roller-coaster or (dare I say it) weaving through an asteroid field. I say roller-coaster because the section goes up then down then up then down (and I think I'm going to get sick!) but also it feels like it's going to go off the rails but it doesn't.

The Asteroid Field - The Empire Strikes Back

2:18-2:41

This section is my particular favourite in the cue for a few reasons. One huge reason is that the rousing performance by the LSO of the harmonic chords being played gives the cue the major excitement that the scene needed (well done on the timpani rolls). It feels like you're going on a roller-coaster or (dare I say it) weaving through an asteroid field. I say roller-coaster because the section goes up then down then up then down (and I think I'm going to get sick!) but also it feels like it's going to go off the rails but it doesn't.

The flute screams here really make it masterful. They echo their appearance earlier in the piece and seem to remind you where you came from. Damn it Jim I love the Asteroid Field.

I love how this piece maintains a sense of awe and wonder at the beauty of space. It has the action feel to it in the crazy woodwind bits, but the trumpets enter, making you appreciate the possiblities of space. It never takes itself too seriously.

I love all the popular cues as much as anyone, but I have to mention a great one from ESB that never gets the full praise it deserves IMO: the short but wonderful Attacking a Star Destroyer.

:happybday: Definitely a favourite.

Definitely. This is actually one of several short standout moments of the scores that were used in "Rebel Assault II", which is were I first really noticed them; Very good choice of score cues in that game (another one is from RotJ where the rebel fleet enters hyperspace).

This is indeed an absolutely fantastic piece...listening to it as we speak,comparig all versions I have.Has been a favorite of mine since I first heard it....about 29 years ago.Never left me.

Have to chime back in on this one. . . . :)

Johnny always gets the mood right for the scene, and that film in particular is filled with wonderful sequences of music and cinema . . . but "The Asteroid Field" is unquestionably one of the greatest action sequences he ever composed for a movie. It's as though he just decided to let it all go and see how high and far he could take the LSO in the expression of both kinetic action and awesome beauty at the same time. That's what really makes it such a special piece of music: it somehow manages to express the deadly thrill of navigating the galactic equivalent of a minefield at high speed, while in the same moment appreciating the breathless wonder of the setting in its own right.

The result? One of the finest examples of his astonishing skill as a composer and conductor.

- Uni