1941 (2-disc DVD edition for Region 2 viewers)

Hitch

No details on what extras will be available. All I know the movie is in Dolby Digital 5.1. Let's hope the picture is better than the Region 1 Collector's Edition. Nice price from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1941-DVD-John-Belushi/dp/B002JARDUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257630922&sr=1-1

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great, at last i can buy my last spielberg dvd.

i hope it arrives here, as i would like to have also the spanish dubbing, but if not... i was going to buy region 1 just a pair of months ago...

EDIT: yay its on spanish too, according to the site its release date was 10 /2009... unlikely...

these are the contents:

dvd1: film theatrical version (114 min)

2.35:1 16/9 anamophic

dvd2:

Makin off (101 min)

deleted scenes and bloopers (8 min)

3 photo galleries

the critics

trailer

2 Teaser trailers

No details on what extras will be available. All I know the movie is in Dolby Digital 5.1. Let's hope the picture is better than the Region 1 Collector's Edition. Nice price from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1941-DVD-John-Belushi/dp/B002JARDUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257630922&sr=1-1

I heard about this over a month ago.

As mentioned above I hope this leads to an Region 1 anamorphic version because the current DVD is awful in terms of picture and sound.

I don't believe a true John Williams fan would get a Region-2 DVD (with the pitch altered by the 4% PAL speedup).

How about us R2ers, where, y'know, we have no choice? Even a R1 would still be output as a PAL signal.

The PAL standard utilizes a wider channel bandwidth than NTSC which allows for better picture quality. PAL displays 625 lines of resolution at 50 fields per second, 25 frames per second so why would R2 fans be missing out? Except for the R1 isolated score option.

Thanks for this info Hitch!

New members should note that the extensive doc carried over from the old laserdisc is typically comprehensive by Laurent and has lengthy Williams interviews and cool session pics too.

The film is almost unbearable to watch as a complete entity, thank god for chapter bookmarking!

The PAL standard utilizes a wider channel bandwidth than NTSC which allows for better picture quality. PAL displays 625 lines of resolution at 50 fields per second, 25 frames per second so why would R2 fans be missing out? Except for the R1 isolated score option.

Unfortunately, a side effect of the better picture quality is the speedup (and change in pitch) that the PAL system causes. I've learned to live with it as there's really not a lot I can do about it, but it sucks if you're trying to work on DVD-ripped scores. Still, another good reason for Blu-Ray, which shows the movie at the correct speed.

Charlie, True John Williams Fan

i ordered it at the store today since they had it 'out of stock' (yeah, more probably, it has not been released yet, but their computers are saying it's out of stock because the dont have any and we are beyond the release date they put on the computer....)

I don't believe a true John Williams fan would get a Region-2 DVD (with the pitch altered by the 4% PAL speedup).

How about us R2ers, where, y'know, we have no choice? Even a R1 would still be output as a PAL signal.

Erm no. When I watch R1 DVDs, I watch them in NTSC...

Unfortunately, a side effect of the better picture quality is the speedup (and change in pitch) that the PAL system causes. I've learned to live with it as there's really not a lot I can do about it, but it sucks if you're trying to work on DVD-ripped scores. Still, another good reason for Blu-Ray, which shows the movie at the correct speed.

One main reason for Blu-Ray.

I don't care how fast, or how slow it is, I will definitely buy it. It looks like it contains all the stuff on the region 1 release, but there is one thing that both the R1 and R2 editions are missing: the original mono mix. I saw "1941" twice on its British cinema release, in April 1980, and it was not in stereo. The video is in mono, though. At last, Spielberg's criminally underrated masterpiece finally gets a R2 release: fantastic! Mind you, you'll get all the Luddites who will slag it off, just because it's fashionable to. It's going to be a long war...

I've always loved this film. It's a mess but there's something about it that keeps bringing me back. I still have the deluxe Laserdisc box set.

I don't care how fast, or how slow it is, I will definitely buy it. It looks like it contains all the stuff on the region 1 release, but there is one thing that both the R1 and R2 editions are missing: the original mono mix. I saw "1941" twice on its British cinema release, in April 1980, and it was not in stereo. The video is in mono, though. At last, Spielberg's criminally underrated masterpiece finally gets a R2 release: fantastic! Mind you, you'll get all the Luddites who will slag it off, just because it's fashionable to. It's going to be a long war...

I've always loved this film. It's a mess but there's something about it that keeps bringing me back. I still have the deluxe Laserdisc box set.

The 'luddites' have just cause, Spielberg himself is highly critical of the movie as you know so it would be interesting to hear why you praise it so?

I think the the movie, as a whole, is well cast. The casting of Christopher Lee and Toshiro Mifune was great. They play off of each other rather well.

There are some very funny moments that Spielberg manages to pull off, the Slim Pickens interrogation scene is hilarious. Robert Stack is perfect, the Dumbo sequence is another well executed funny moment. The ferris wheel sequence is funny, the "swing swing swing" dance sequence is well done, love the opening with Susan Backlinie reprising her famous moment on screen.

And I must mention that John Williams provided one of the better war marches, in my opinion.

The 'luddites' have just cause, Spielberg himself is highly critical of the movie as you know so it would be interesting to hear why you praise it so?

So, you want to know why I like "1941", so much? I'll start with what's wrong with it. It IS a mess; there is no characterisation, the "plot" is barely comprehensible, and some of the comedy is crude (but no more crude than your average Farrelly brothers flick). What I love about this film is the photography (everything is either shot through smoke, or otherwise "altered"), the effects are remarkable - and they won a technical Oscar, paving the way for such effects as seen in "Always", the sound on the original mono mix is really authentic to the 40s period (and remember, Speilberg could have mixed it in Dolby stereo, if he had chosen to), and the score is one of my favourites by J.W. For me, that's enough to be going on with, but added to that, the performances are uniformally good - to - great (I love the way that Lee and Mifune refuse to talk to each other in the other's native language, even though both can clearly understand each other!). Mainly I like it because it is a lot of fun to watch.

Any film released is going to have its admirers, and its detractors; I happen to be an admirer of "1941". If people don't like it, then that's o.k; they move on to the next film. I try to find something to admire in most films that I see, and if I can't, then I forget them. "1941" has drawn a lot of citicism from J.W. fan, and that is no bad thing, for at least the film is being discussed, and acknowledged. Maybe that is "1941"'s legacy. Personally I don't think that Steven Allen Speilberg has anything to be ashamed of.

i hope it arrives here, as i would like to have also the spanish dubbing, but if not... i was going to buy region 1 just a pair of months ago...

EDIT: yay its on spanish too, according to the site its release date was 10 /2009... unlikely...

these are the contents:

dvd2:

Makin off (101 min)

3 photo galleries

the critics

trailer

2 Teaser trailers

If it only contains the theatrical hack-job then forget it.

these are the contents:

dvd2:

Makin off (101 min)

3 photo galleries

the critics

trailer

2 Teaser trailers

If it only contains the theatrical hack-job then forget it.

Don't be too quick to write off the theatrical version, Pixie; remember that this was the version that Spielberg released in 1979. I see your point, though, and I would prefer both, but since I have the extended version on d.v.d., then I'm not too bothered. I will certainly buy this version - after all, how many versions of "Star Trek: T.M.P.", "Star Trek" II, "Star Trek VI", "The Abyss", the "Alien" films, not to mention "Earthquake" are there? I bet there are people out there who have all of them, and I'll bet that they will but all 8 of the new "Harry Potter"s. IMO, this version is just another variation on a theme.

How many versions of "Star Trek: T.M.P.", "Star Trek" II, "Star Trek VI", "The Abyss", the "Alien" films, not to mention "Earthquake" are there? I bet there are people out there who have all of them

<Cough>

How many versions of "Star Trek: T.M.P.", "Star Trek" II, "Star Trek VI", "The Abyss", the "Alien" films, not to mention "Earthquake" are there? I bet there are people out there who have all of them

<Cough>

Hitch, you naughty, naughty person, you! Do you have the T.V. cut of "Star Trek II"? I hear that Saavik, and David Marcus get it on. Do you also have the T.V. cuts of "Airport '77", "The Towering Inferno", and the first three "Superman" films.?