Worst movie with a great score

Musica42

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few more terrible movies with A-list composers (can't really comment on the quality of all their scores):

Catwoman, Klaus Badelt

The Postman, James Newton Howard (and John Sebastian)

Gigli, John Powell

I Know Who Killed Me, Joel McNeely

Leonard Part 6, Elmer Bernstein

Striptease, Howard Shore

Mac and Me, Alan Silvestri

Son of the Mask, Randy Edelman

Waterworld, James Newton Howard

Batman Forever isn't bad and this is coming from a Tim Burton Batman film fanboy who was disgusted when Michael Keaton didn't return and mostly everything seemed to change between the second and third movie. I think Forever does enough things well to redeem it from "worst" movie status. I mean, just look at what followed it, right? I like Goldenthal's music. The bts material on the SE DVD especially gave me a new-found respect for the production. I would love to see a 3 hour director's cut.

I was into the demonic funkiness of Goldenthal's Batman Forever at some point, but I haven't been able to rekindle the spark. They're so... all over the place.

With apologies to Goldenthal and his fans...I find his Batman scores to be as bad as the films they accompany. =/

They're as insanely over the top as the films. But unlike the films, they're brilliant (or at least Forever is, I've only heard B&R once in the film, but it seemed quite similar). Vintage, full-blown Goldenthal perfectly blending about a dozen of styles with brilliant orchestrations. Forever is among my favourite Goldenthal scores.

In all fairness, I might actually enjoy the non-thematic parts of the scores. I haven't really listened to them enough to make a really fair judgment. But the main theme annoys me deeply.

I recommend that you give it another chance if you can, Joe. While some of the music such as "Perpetuum Mobile" and "Main Title & Fanfare" turn me off, I think there is more than enough great material to compensate, from the slight Prokofiev homages in "Two Face Three Step" to the muted trumpet in "Mr. E's Dance Card...". Even the main theme gets some truly awesome variations (my favorite being perhaps "Fledermausmarschmusik"). Not Goldenthal's best, I do not think, but very solid.

Regarding Batman and Robin, I seem to remember the score re-using music from Batman Forever, but my observations are based only on the one time that I managed to sit through the film.

And a few others...

Back to School, Big Top Peewee, and Hot to Trot were all terrible films of Elfman's early career.

Super Mario Bros and Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot are a couple more from Silvestri's closet.

Wild Wild West and The Black Cauldron by Elmer Bernstein.

And a few others...

Wild Wild West and The Black Cauldron by Elmer Bernstein.

Heck yeah.

I too like The Mummy. Very fun movie.

The sequel on the other hand... I'm in no rush to watch that again. Also has what I consider some of the worst SFX produced for a major blockbuster.

And while I'm trashing Mummy movies, The Mummy 3 looks so bad I can't even watch it, but Edelman's score is perfectly good for a summer movie IMO. Just wish the idiot would get rid of those synths.

The third Mummy film isn't as bad as it looks, I rank it about equal to The Mummy Returns (which I don't love, neither do I hate) but I was expecting much much worse. There were some terrible terrible moments (apparently Yetis are well versed in the sport of American football)and at least 5 scenes/scenarios almost directly lifted from the Indy films (Shanghai car chase, rickety propeller plane over Himalayas, hero entering tent to find his lady bound, etc). Fraser slips effortlessly into his role but the rest of the cast don't fare as well. Plus its got some very decent action sequences. You could do far worse, on a lazy boring weekend afternoon.

I recommend that you give it another chance if you can, Joe. While some of the music such as "Perpetuum Mobile" and "Main Title & Fanfare" turn me off, I think there is more than enough great material to compensate, from the slight Prokofiev homages in "Two Face Three Step" to the muted trumpet in "Mr. E's Dance Card...".

Main Title & Fanfare is a wonderfully hilarious Zarathustra spoof. The other funny highlight of the album is the brass screaming "Bat........maaaaaaan".

Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow comes to mind.

I actually enjoyed that one as well. Very campy and cheesy, but still fun none-the-less. Definitely a great score though. ;)

I recommend that you give it another chance if you can, Joe. While some of the music such as "Perpetuum Mobile" and "Main Title & Fanfare" turn me off, I think there is more than enough great material to compensate, from the slight Prokofiev homages in "Two Face Three Step" to the muted trumpet in "Mr. E's Dance Card...".

Main Title & Fanfare is a wonderfully hilarious Zarathustra spoof. The other funny highlight of the album is the brass screaming "Bat........maaaaaaan".

Wait, what? I do not remember that anywhere...could you please tell me the Track title? And I never really picked up on the Also Spracht Zarathustra spoof, either....

Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow comes to mind.

I actually enjoyed that one as well. Very campy and cheesy, but still fun none-the-less.

Like what?

Congo is a very fun movie to watch. :)

It is?

Wow! A talking gorilla! I can feel the money hairs on the back of my neck going "wooh wooh wooh!"

Whenever Goldsmith's horn fanfare roars through the jungle, all cheesiness is forgotten. And as far as i can remember, he used that theme a lot!

[Congo] has a talking gorilla and the guy from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

It has a talking gorilla because it would be too difficult to effectively portray a signing gorilla without making knowledge of American Sign Language a prerequisite for a two hour popcorn movie, and because making Peter translate for Amy in the movie each time she says something would limit the dramatic effectiveness of both characters. The concept worked in the book, which was stellar, but the movie invented a techie way around it.

That guy from The Rocky Horror Picture Show was also in Home Alone 2, Clue, Red October, Annie, and more cartoons than I can imagine. He's also in Dragon Age: Origins.

It has a talking gorilla and the guy from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

It has the guy from Nip/Tuck and one of the Ghostbusters as well.

We've done these awful movies/ great score lists to death over the years.

I know it's the norm to automatically give Goldsmith the nod, but truthfully there are very few "great" scores to bad films. Most of the scores qualify as good, not great.

I would classify them as scores that manage to rise above the films they were composed for.

I wouldn't include Rambo, First Blood II as a bad film. It was one of the top grossing films the year it was released and as an action film it's very good.

He was really a pretty decent Long John Silver in Muppet Treasure Island as well.

I'm going to pre-empt this and say New Moon is going to be bad, but the score sounds like it's going to be GREAT. Thank you for saving the series, Desplat.

New Moon samples

The Neverending Story II, Robert Folk

Not heard it. Does it feature the same great themes from the original?

The Bridge to Terabithia

That is a lovely little picture and in no way a bad movie.

Predator II

Awesome action flick and the second best Predator movie, funnily enough. Score is basically a Ricky Martin rehash of original though, with one pretty good addition in the motif department.

Anyway, I shall submit Raise the Titanic and The Lord of the Rings (1978).

Anyway, I shall submit Raise the Titanic and The Lord of the Rings (1978).

I never got on with the old LOTR. Terrible movie as you imply, but the music always seemed horribly twee. Then again, the only Rosenman I ever got into was Planet of the Apes.

Some of the Bond movies come to mind. Drax'll kill me, but MOONRAKER and A VIEW TO A KILL both have fine scores.

I wouldn't include Rambo, First Blood II as a bad film. It was one of the top grossing films the year it was released

so were the prequels and indy iv....

Yeah but those are bad films with average scores, except TPM.