Star Trek 2009: R2-D2 finally spotted in film

artyjeffrey

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/buzz-log-r2-d2-star-trek.html

I don't know if anyone mentioned this rumor back when the movie was out (and I sure as $@ wasn't going to plod through all of the pages of that thread), but apparently with the dvd/bluray release of the film, R2-D2 can indeed be seen. The link above shows where.

Why not? E.T. appeared in Phantom Menace, R2 and Threepio in Raiders, R2 in CEot3K, and on and on. R2's a sort of good luck charm. :P

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would have been much more amusing to have R2-D2 go screaming by as he ricocheted off the Enterprise view screen. Much like the repair droids in TPM that got blasted off of the Naboo fighter.

That's why I watch Star Wars on mute. It's more scientifically accurate to not have sound in space, and makes it far more enjoyable.

I'm actually glad Abrams referenced that in the film. I believe there was a moment when a guy flies out of the ship and it goes from chaos to silence as he goes through.

I wonder what Gene Roddenberry would think about that cameo...

It's a weird sensation, seeing the two worlds together like that. Like if I went to see the Beatles, and there was Gene Simmons on bass. :lol:

I wonder what Gene Roddenberry would think about that cameo...

It's a weird sensation, seeing the two worlds together like that. Like if I went to see the Beatles, and there was Gene Simmons on bass. :lol:

"Fans of both series should enjoy the subtle nod from one fictional universe to another, whereas superfans of either series should be vexed for years trying to figure out how to justify a being from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away showing up in the 23rd century, and determining what disastrous consequences this anomaly may hold for both universes."

From the blog iwatchstuff.com.

It's called an Easter Egg. It's similar to three members of E.T.'s race occupying a senatorial pod in The Phantom Menace. Oh wait, the Wookiepedia says that there IS a planet of E.T.'s race in the Star Wars galaxy. Dangit.

R2-D2 and Threepio are carved into the wall of the Well of the Souls. They never made an appearance in Earth's religious past to protect the Ark.

They are "blink and you miss it" moments that the filmmakers put in there so they can brag to their friends and family "I put that in there, now find it."

Humor is a difficult concept.

I really did enjoy Abram's moments of silence he added to the space scenes.

For what it's worth my original comment was somewhat sarcastic as the sequence from TPM is unintentionally funny with the R2 units being blasted off the ship. That scene always makes me laugh and judging by the reaction of audiences and friends upon further viewings it brings out the same emotions.

For what it's worth my original comment was somewhat sarcastic as the sequence from TPM is unintentionally funny with the R2 units being blasted off the ship. That scene always makes me laugh and judging by the reaction of audiences and friends upon further viewings it brings out the same emotions.

Humor is a difficult concept.

Sure :P

Really, Lucas either wanted it funny or the inclussion of classic r2-scream screwed the scene completely.

"Fans of both series should enjoy the subtle nod from one fictional universe to another, whereas superfans of either series should be vexed for years trying to figure out how to justify a being from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away showing up in the 23rd century, and determining what disastrous consequences this anomaly may hold for both universes."

It was just that one of the crewmembers of the ship that explodes is a star wars fan that had a replica of r2 in his cabin.

simple as that...no need to reboot both franchises.... :)

It's called an Easter Egg. It's similar to three members of E.T.'s race occupying a senatorial pod in The Phantom Menace. Oh wait, the Wookiepedia says that there IS a planet of E.T.'s race in the Star Wars galaxy. Dangit.

Actually, the appearance on film of the TPM E.T.s make the very existence at least of E.T.'s race in the Star Wars universe G-Canon, canon of the very highest order. On top of that, the novel sequel of sorts to E.T. gives us the name of his home planet, which concurs with that of the Star Wars EU sources. Plus, in the SW universe, E.T.'s planet is known to have funded an expedition to another galaxy. Add all this up and you can come to an obvious conclusion. Next time you watch E.T., remember, you are watching Star Wars too. ROFL

Plus, in the SW universe, E.T.'s planet is known to have funded an expedition to another galaxy. Add all this up and you can come to an obvious conclusion. Next time you watch E.T., remember, you are watching Star Wars too. ROFL

Not possible, if we are to believe that SW happened "a long item ago." Unless they are to have fallen through a time-warping black hole to have caught up with the 1980s.

At any rate, the audio and visual of Yoda in E.T., as well as Elliot's rundown of his Star Wars action figures, were always more than enough crossover for me. Apparently Lucas wanted to return the favor by including Spielberg's aliens in the next SW movie he could, which was TPM.

He's visable in the Starfleet cadet auditorium scenes, espcially at the end when Kirk is promoted. He's really noticeable when Kirk is facing toward the screen and the cadets are applauding him. Look over Kirk's left shoulder, your right, and you will see him grinning and applauding.

You can't miss him.

I'm suprised no one has posted a screen cap of him yet. :)

Are you kidding Mark? Neil posted 3 or 4 high def screen shots when the trailer came out

We're talking about the movie, not the trailer. You can barely make him out in the trailer shots, in the film he is as clear as day.

I had no inside knowledge or photos from Trek until that trailer showed up (though I could be seen in some spy photos posted on AICN). Until I showed up in that trailer, I didn't even know if you could see me in the movie, though I suspected it would be possible, because I got such a great seat.

And if you watch one of the special features on Disc 2 (I think it's the casting one) they talk about the day we filmed that scene, with Nimoy on the set. It was really an awesome experience. And yes, I got to see Nimoy in Spock make up.

Neil

So in Star Trek 2, does Neil get

a) to wear a red shirt and die horribly?

b) to become an Orion slave girl?

c) a Vulcan neck pinch and leaves him unconscious for the rest of the movie?

During the Senate scene with where the chancellor gets his vote of no confidence. The camera pans to various pods and in one is a group of them.

It's in one of the scenes at the beginning I think when it shows the Borg cube on the Enterprise-E's view screen the first time and it's supposed supposedly be the ship flying weirdly at the top area of the Borg cube.

Really? I never knew that.

The Serenity from Firefly/Serenity can be seen in either the Galactica mini or one of the early season 1 eps, both shows were done by the same effects house.