New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Bowie

WARNING: This isn't anything like the Modern Warfare 2 score LOL, so adjust your expectations, and I expect to hear some sarcastic comments because I criticized Zimmer's work on that. Still, healthy discussion from various opinions is encouraged. Yeah, half of it's low-grade MIDI with no special sound sample usage (note that enemies and even the objects throughout the game "dance" to the annoying but hilarious MIDI choir 'buhhp's.)

I think it's a pretty great score that mixes reworked retro themes with really well composed new pieces and even subtle "John Williams-esque" hidden nods to other nostalgia-rich themes. These tracks are all very short (loop after about 50-60 seconds so you can listen to quite a few in a pretty quick period) and I've rated them out of 5 stars for a general idea of my favorites, and having not listed several of the less significant music. I've bolded the best of the best IMHO:

*** Title Theme

**** Main Theme (reworked from the original NSMB DS soundtrack)

***** Athletic Theme (a quasi-ragtime version of the Main theme)

**** Firey Underground Theme (reworks original SMB Underground theme)

**** Lava Theme

**** Desert Theme

**** Beach Theme

**** Forest Theme

*** Underwater Theme (hidden use of the very original SMB Underwater theme)

*** Ghost House Theme (catchy "evil waltz" type theme)

*** Tower Theme (improved over the DS version -- intense string section halfway through)

***** Castle Theme (starts with 'Tower' motif, later quotes the Super Mario World Castle theme)

**** Koopaling Tower Boss Battle (retro reworking of SMB3 boss fight theme)

*** Koopaling Castle Boss Battle

**** Bowser Boss Battle (clever reworking of the new Main theme into a scary tense boss fight theme)

***** World 1 Map (instant classic)

***** World 2 Map (pretty funky for an Egyptian/Arabic style theme)

**** World 5 Map (somehow this map ditty pulls at my heartstrings, dunno why)

*** World 6 Map

**** World 8 Map

**** Airship Theme (reworking)

*** Minigame Theme (remix)

(reworking)

(based on Peach's castle theme, the Title theme and Peach's Theme)

***** Staff Credits (medley of many themes)

What do you think? Any old-time Mario fans? Who's played this game already, or the DS game?

EDIT: Koji Kondo was the rest of that subtitle, it misleadingly showed that I had more room.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played the game and to be honest I was dissapointed that they didn't compose a new main theme, specially since I don't like the theme from the DS all that much, and every game has had a new theme. I did like very much that subtle hint from Super Mario World in the Castle. I'm still in the early part of the game so I haven't listened to all.

I have to say I'm a bit dissapointed with the game. The controls feel weird.

I want this game very badly and will probably get it once I sell a bunch of junk on ebay and use that money for it. It looks so awesome!

That's what I did, I traded in 4 Wii games to get it. Don't set your expectations too high though. I kinda wished they went the "Megaman 9" way and did it like it was 8-bit.

It's the best Mario game ever imho, maybe slightly behind Yoshi's Island (which some may not consider a Mario game anyway) and Galaxy (which was overflowing with great ideas like this game is, but is a clunky, inaccessible experience).

How far into it now are you, Diego?

My opinion of the game skyrocketed after reaching Worlds 2 and 3. And it only goes uphill from there (almost literally). The controls and graphics suddenly "click" and you'll be zooming through levels like a pro with glee beaming on your face in no time. Has a great deal more replay value than any other Mario game, that's for sure.

Multiplayer is a blast, especially if the other players are already somewhat-skilled Mario fans, or rather, you start from World 1-1 and all the players can work their way up in skill naturally.

Worlds 5 to 8 are stunning.

I've played the game and to be honest I was dissapointed that they didn't compose a new main theme, specially since I don't like the theme from the DS all that much, and every game has had a new theme. I did like very much that subtle hint from Super Mario World in the Castle. I'm still in the early part of the game so I haven't listened to all.

Technically, because the Title Screen theme makes appearances in other guises towards the end of the game, you could consider it the "new main theme" of this game. I too was slightly disappointed there was no new main overworld theme -- although I on the other hand loved Asuka Ohta's score from the original; it grew on me immensely after time -- however, there are FOUR other new overworld themes: lava, beach, forest, desert, plus underwater. And they're all kinda catchy and well written. I think that makes up for it.

I'm not very far into it, since I can't play that much during the week and the game just came out. The thing is that Mario feels like he's always walking on ice, feels heavier. I also don't care for the motion controls but that's not a big deal. Don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot, it's Mario and Super Mario 3 has been my favorite game for a long time. It's for that reason that I get nitpicky with Mario. Afterall the game has elements from Super Mario 1,2,3, World, Yoshi's Island, how can you go wrong? IMO Mario and Zelda are the reasons to stick with Nintendo after all these years.

I loved the castle on World 2 where

you have to choose what "row" to go and if you don't get it right the level loops over like in the original Super Mario

This game, along with the new Zelda whenever it comes out, will make me pine for a Wii a little bit, these are the games I've always stuck with Nintendo for. But I think I'm getting more value with the PS3.

This game, along with the new Zelda whenever it comes out, will make me pine for a Wii a little bit, these are the games I've always stuck with Nintendo for. But I think I'm getting more value with the PS3.

You mean you haven't played Super Mario Galaxy? Or Twilight Princess? Or...?

You mean you haven't played Super Mario Galaxy? Or Twilight Princess? Or...?

I've got Twilight Princess for GameCube, and I love it to death. It's probably my second favorite Zelda game after Ocarina, and the best Zelda score ever.

I messed around with Galaxy a bit at a Wii station at Best Buy. I thought it was decent, I never got into 3D Mario. I had Mario 64 and barely played it.

I played multiplayer yesterday for the first time and I have to say it's a blast, it has improve my opinion a lot (not that I ever thought it was a bad game).

It does depend a lot on who you play with though. I played with my brother who has "outgrown" videogames I guess, but was quite good back in the day and it was great fun. Then I played with my girlfriend, who just plain sucks, she can't make it through 1-2 on her own, and that was not fun at all, although she seemed like she was having a good time.

At first I was disappointed by NSMB Wii as well... but once I got halfway through the second world, I was hooked. And then I started to die (a lot) in the third world. The game actually is quite challenging, especially if you're after all the gold coins.

It's a grower, I'll say. I was "amused" by World 1, "impressed" by World 2, and from then on everything just clicked and I was, well, "fucking enthralled".