Does anyone speak French and/or Russian?

Naïve Old Fart

Can anyone tell me what The Merovingian says in the restaurant, in "Reloaded"? It is the little speach that ends with "...it's like wiping your ass with silk, I love it".

Also, does anyone know what Helen Mirren and her co-pilot say to each other in "2010", just after The Lenonov has completed its slingshot around Jupiter?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone tell me what The Merovingian says in the restaurant, in "[The Matrix] Reloaded"? It is the little speach that ends with "...it's like wiping your ass with silk, I love it".

Per IMDB...

Merovingian: I love French wine, like I love the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favorite. Fantastic language. Especially to curse with. Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère. It's like wiping your arse with silk. I love it.

Then you paste the French part into Babel Fish Translator at Altavista (the only reason to still use that search engine), and you get...wow...this guy's pissed. I put it into spoiler tags, I feel like I posted a bad thing.

Name of god of whore of bloody hell of filth of jerk d' asshole of your mother.

laugh.gif ...that's a good'un!!

I have always wondered about the 2010 quote too....love the film and always have and that section has always had me wondering...

Yeah it's basically most of french swear words in one sentence which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Here's how I'd put it in english :

Goddamit you fucking shit trash asshole motherfucker

That makes better sense. I remember from my Spanish classes that adjectives were put after their nouns, and that possessive adjectives became "blank of blank" strings, rather than "blanekty blankety blank," and surmised that French would be similar. The literal translation is downright dull.

I never had any plans to watch The Matrix 2 or 3, no matter how cheap the quadrilogy set (with the cartoon) gets at Walmart.

You shouldn't, they're both terrible movies. I saw part of Revolutions on the TV the other day and was shocked how these did not get the same reputation as the prequels.

Because they had better word of mouth to stay away. The Matrix didn't take 20+ years to become the phenomenon like Star Wars, and didn't bring everybody in droves by name alone. As groundbreaking as The Matrix was, it also turned many people off who didn't get it. The filmmakers saw big dollars from the first one and smelled double sequel, but then decided to make the story convoluted as all get out. Much like the POTC trilogy, except that one had the sexiest man alive to carry it.