Back To The Future is Here

Dean1700

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I'm guessing CD 1 will be like this: -

01. Logo - What logo? The Universal Pictures one?

Roger said this is an unused little fanfare for the actual film logo.

02. DeLorean Reveal - I'm guessing this will be the same as "The Delorean Revealed" from the high-necked footwarmer and "A Time Machine?."

Yes, as it's indicated from the clips on Intrada website.

10. The Picture - Unsure about this. Could this be the "Science Fiction Theatre" segment? If so, then what is the next track? Unused score?

I think this is the cue (which segues directly from the previous one, "1.21 Jigowatts") where Marty's picture begins to disappear, but maybe there's some unused material as well.

11. Picture Fade - Unsure about this. Could this be the "Science Fiction Theatre" segment? If so, then what is the previous track? Unused score?

I think this is the so-called "Science Fiction Theatre" cue, when Marty looks at the picture that continues to fade.

14. George To The Rescue: Part I - I know which music this is, but I can't remember the track titles from the high-necked footwarmer!

I think this is the scene when Marty is pulled off from the car by Biff and his gang.

15. Marvin Be-Bop - I know which music this is, but I can't remember the track titles from the high-necked footwarmer!

I think this is a source music cue, the jazzy piece that underscores Marvin and his band out from their car after Marty is being locked in the trunk.

16. George To The Rescue: Part II - I know which music this is, but I can't remember the track titles from the high-necked footwarmer!

This is the cue for the actual George's rescue, but probably will have also some unused music at the beginning, written for footage ultimately deleted. I know the scene where George starts his "rescue" was much longer, as indicated from the BTTF novelization.

17. Tension / The Kiss - I know which music this is, but I can't remember the track titles from the high-necked footwarmer!

This is the cue where Marty's hand starts to disappear, segued by the "Earth Angel" orchestral accompainment, I think

18. Goodnight Marty - Probably the same as "It's Been...Educational".

I think this is the source music cue heard in the background before the "It's Been Educational" part.

And AotC better than BTTF? Hahahahahaha. Hehehe. One day your childish fanboyism will wear off Mark.

:)

For God's sake, must you grace us with your insightful comments whenever someone says they prefer a JW score over a non-JW score?

It's not 'whenever'. They're usually squarely aimed at KM.

Making comparisons between BTTF and some Williams' scores is quite unfair to both gentlemen's artistry.

Maybe BTTF isn't a huge musical masterpiece in terms of pure writing, but it succeeds wonderfully in its own merits as film music. It enhances the film, giving it a very exciting soul. It's the musical mirror of Marty McFly's youthful enthusiasm, giving him almost single-handedly his own heroic personality. It's a ballsy score because it isn't afraid to pump up the excitement and the emotions of the audience whenever it feels it's right. And Silvestri is able to do it while being also very musical and direct. In this sense, BTTF follows a very Williams-esque pattern (reportedly pushed by Steven Spielberg).

It's nonsense to take it against any of Williams' scores to prove it's either better or worse.

I prefer a lot of JW scores over Back To The Future, and an infinite amount from other composers. It is an overrated score, but a good one nonetheless, probably even great. Does that mean something's wrong with me? No, it just means I have different tastes. KM's in love with John Williams, Trent is in love with David Arnold, Mark O. is in love with Jerry Goldsmith, I'm in love with Hans Zimmer... we all have our preferences.

Did you just induct everyone into the gay club? :)

Axtually I love/enjoy John Williams' music the most but I can also recognize other composers are capable of writing music that's better than some of his scores.

The way I see it, even if you absolutely love AOTC for some reason, we actually got quite a decent release of it with pretty much all of the highlights. The only significant stuff that I think it's missing are a couple of fanfares (none of which is a magnificent classic) and the Anakin Confession / Shimi's Funeral cues, which are decent cues but it's not like we're missing "Stealing the Stones" from TOD, the first one is the Imperial March scoring Anakin's tantrum and we have a lot more of the Imperial March (and better) on ESB.

That's why I don't think you can compare the release of BTTF, an iconic classic score, that only had two tracks released back on 1985 to AOTC, which even if you love, we already have more than 70 minutes.

Anyway, just like some people think BTTF is overrated because it was unreleased, I think AOTC is overrated just because it has the SW name on it, which to me just hurts the score even more, as there is no way you can compare the mediocre AOTC, to SW and ESB, some of the best scores ever, the wonderful ROTJ or even the extremely good TPM.

For the moment, but Intrada has said they'll re-stock in about two weeks. They feel it should last at least the remainder of the year.

But yeah, as for Part 2 being one of the best sequels ever, I agree! It is a bit darker, funnier, and goes back to the first movie with the exact same events from a different angle. It was a pretty brave thing for a sequel to such a successful movie to do, and I know not everyone likes it very much. But that was probably why they followed it with the much more formulaic Part 3, which is also enjoyable, but not nearly as original as Part 2 was. I don't think there is any film like it that was made before it or since.

I know nobody else does, but I agree completely! :)

Part II doesn't have the lean conciseness, the sense that every moment is absolutely essential to this unfolding story, that its predecessor has, but it's still one of the best sequels I've ever seen. I'm a big time travel nut, and I like how Part II pushes the envelope in terms of complexity, even if I think its approach to time travel and changing the past is totally unrealistic. (This is true of all three; I don't mind.) There are no hints of sequelitis in the movie...it never starts to feel like a parody or rehash of the first film, even though it literally does follow in the footsteps of some of the original scenes. And because I DO get a kick out of the future, it's fun to get some of that in the movie.

Regarding AOTC, Diego, the thing is that even though there was no official score album for BTTF, there was the boot, as well as some very decent re-recordings that presented many highlights. The net result is that there isn't a huge amount of music that couldn't be heard cleanly, with the exception of the early version of the score. You may find AOTC's OST to be satisfactory, but there's a lot of music that didn't make it into the album, and just because it can't measure up to top-notch scores like ANH or ESB doesn't make it bad or even mediocre. There's also a lot more variety in the unreleased AOTC music than in the unreleased BTTF music.

But please remember, I rushed to buy the Intrada BTTF release the moment I read about it. Few scores have that effect on a frugal guy like me, especially when they're going to cost me more than $30. It's a truly excellent score and one that I will deeply enjoy getting to listen to in its entirety.

I think that if there's such a thing as a perfect film, it's BTTF. It's not my favorite, but it is just so brilliantly conceived and executed, and it has the perfect mix of everything you'd want in a good film. Part II, on the other end of the spectrum, is one of the worst films I've ever seen--way too long, way too complex, way less interesting, way less realistic. Part III was better than II I think, but still, it didn't hold a candle to the orginal.

I believe Silvestri had mentioned in an interview that BTTF 2's score turned out the way it did because Zemeckis left him alone and was too busy working on BTTF 3. There wasn't a whole lot of communication between them.

That does not speak of Silvestri in a good way at all. The 'best sequel ever' and he didnt have any inspiration because he was alone?

well at least the 1955 scenes have matching music with the previous movie...as it should be.

PD: i'm on the AOTC bandwagon too. :P

I can listen to Back To The Future Part 2's score (especially the you know what version) more than I can ever for Attack Of The Clones. Attack Of The Clones' score comes no where near close to the level as even for BTTF 2.

If you think that, my condolences.

one thing is to say you prefer one above the other.

but saying that the quality of the music is not even near the same level...is another thing entirely.

I hate listening to AOTC OST too. Because it reminds me that it is missing almost an hour of material.

anyway maurizio said it all... why continue?

Axtually I love/enjoy John Williams' music the most but I can also recognize other composers are capable of writing music that's better than some of his scores.

I don't know who you think you are, but you are way out of line and should be banned.

anyway maurizio said it all... why continue?

Nonsense. I think we all know that knowledge of film music is positively correlated with number of posts. Trent has posted 7019 times on this board, while Maurizio has posted only 1170 times. Enough said.

What is this crap with automatically designating Attack of the Clones as the worst Williams has to offer again? Seriously, I'm so sick of this score getting relentlessly bashed over and over again, there's much worse out there.

Partly because AOTC is the weakest of the Star Wars film scores and I think the Star Wars film scores are placed on a galactic pedestal above most of JW's work for whatever reason. Contrary to most of the other SW scores, AOTC is a bunch of generic modern JW underscore with moments of greatness scattered throughout. It's also an incomplete score since so much music was recycled from the previous effort. It's also thematically a God damned disaster, again especially when compared to the other scores. There are other factors (I know the electric guitar in the Coruscant chase has its detractors, to say the least) and they all combine to create a perfect storm of JW badness.

But personally I'd say AOTC is about on par with Back to the Future Part II.

Regarding AOTC, Diego, the thing is that even though there was no official score album for BTTF, there was the boot, as well as some very decent re-recordings that presented many highlights. The net result is that there isn't a huge amount of music that couldn't be heard cleanly, with the exception of the early version of the score.

That statement is not entirely correct. The Varese album recorded cues from the earlier sessions!

Neil

Partly because AOTC is the weakest of the Star Wars film scores and I think the Star Wars film scores are placed on a galactic pedestal above most of JW's work for whatever reason. Contrary to most of the other SW scores, AOTC is a bunch of generic modern JW underscore with moments of greatness scattered throughout. It's also an incomplete score since so much music was recycled from the previous effort. It's also thematically a God damned disaster, again especially when compared to the other scores. There are other factors (I know the electric guitar in the Coruscant chase has its detractors, to say the least) and they all combine to create a perfect storm of JW badness.

This is some of the most ridiculous comments ever posted here. Wasn't this thread about Silvestri's BTTF?

It doesn't seem to matter which thread you're reading on this board, but someone always manages to drag the conversation back to, either: -

1) - John Williams is the best composer ever and no-one else will ever be as good, regardless of how marvellous their efforts are. ;)

2) - Star Wars.

3) - Hans Zimmer is nowhere near as good as anyone else. :P

Regardless of anyone else's opinion, I think Back To The Future is one of the best film scores ever written. It's certainly in my top 5. It also seems that I'm not alone in thinking this.....

Just be thankful that this isn't the FSM board Maxxie, there are a couple of useless 'spam' posters over there!

Anybody else miss Tommy Johnson??!! ;)

Back on topic... what's great about this release is that in addition to the film score that we all have been craving for so long, we get alternates and unused cues! Can't wait to set aside an afternoon to go though this CD!

BTTF 3 doesn't deserve such a bad wrap, it's very enjoyable. A sweet love theme for Doc & Clara, the western horns theme and the Indians cue along with the relentless train finale cues are all exceptional IMO.

Best part of BTTF 2 is the trailer cue for part 3! :P

BTTF 3 doesn't deserve such a bad wrap, it's very enjoyable. A sweet love theme for Doc & Clara, the western horns theme and the Indians cue along with the relentless train finale cues are all exceptional IMO.

Hurrah! Finally! ;)

Best part of BTTF 2 is the trailer cue for part 3! :P

Nah, the whole prologue/main title section is marvellous, as is all the music from "Doc's Gone" to the end. ;)

"If they ever did" is my favorite track from part 2.

Definitley one of the highlights.

I can never work out/remember why it's called "If They Ever Did". I realised what it meant about three years ago and now I've forgotton again! ;)

Well isn't Intrada in California? It may help for me, since I too live in California. And I paid with paypal right away the night it was released. Sorry! lol.

I will say this release is pretty darn perfect. Sound quality is about as superb as it could be (though the linear notes, which are also great and detailed, say they are from various sources for quality (and mentioned the tapes with the music were actually deteriorating quite a bit even though it's been less than 30 years), including Silvestri himself). The sound quality on CD 2 is a little bit lower, probably because there weren't as many sources for it (just one I guess). Anyway, it really is all the music from the film, and it's wonderful. CD 2 was interesting (though the best moments are actually found on the clips on Intrada), however it is a good thing the score was changed or I don't think it would have been nearly as memorable. Still, it is an incredible thing to hear and spot the differences between the two, but it won't be spinning in my player nearly as often as CD 1 will. Finally! The boots can go in the trash!

The only gripe I really have is that the 2 source cues on CD 1 should have been put at the end. I know they put them within the score to retain continuity, but in my opinion it does stop the flow. I know people have various opinions on this, but that is mine. But with that being the only complaint I have, I am happy it is quite trivial. :P

I also was able to get "In Search Of Peace" though I still haven't listened to it yet. I bought it on a whim because I thought all the sound clips were spectacular. Never seen the film it accompanies.

My wallet hurts so bad! LOL. That is why I am still debating if I will get Innerspace...

Hmm, so could anybody put together a chronological listing of the score and original song album (maybe plus unreleased songs)? It wouldn't be Back to the Future if it didn't start with "The Power of Love."

01. Logo

"Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News

"Time Bomb Town" by Lindsey Buckingham

02. DeLorean Reveal

03. Einstein Disintegrated

04. ’85 Twin Pines Mall

05. Peabody Barn; Marty Ditches DeLorean

"Mr. Sandman" by The Four Aces (not featured on original album)

06. ’55 Town Square

07. Lorraine’s Bedroom

08. Retrieve DeLorean

09. 1.21 Jigowatts

10. The Picture

11. Picture Fades

"The Wallflower (Dance With Me Henry)" by Etta James

12. Skateboard Chase

13. Marty’s Letter

"Night Train" by Marvin Berry and the Starlighters

14. George To The Rescue – Pt. 1

15. Marvin Be-Bop

16. George To The Rescue – Pt. 2

"Earth Angel" by Marvin Berry and the Starlighters

17. Tension; The Kiss

"Johnny B. Goode" by Marty McFly and The Starlighters

18. Goodnight Marty

19. It’s Been Educational; Clocktower

20. Helicopter

"Heaven Is One Step Away" by Eric Clapton

21. ’85 Lone Pine Mall

22. 4 x 4

23. Doc Returns

"Back in Time" by Huey Lewis and the News

24. Back To The Future (End Credits)

"Back to the Future Overture" by the Outatime Orchestra

My score BTTF score finally arrived today. The sound quality is much better than I thought (Although, I should be somewhat ashamed of that) I haven't stopped listening to it! Amazing to finally have it.

I haven't checked the rest of this thread to see if it's been mentioned already but there's also the Eddie Van Halen track that Marty plays on his walkman when he's dressed up in his yellow Darth Vadar suit.