Back To The Future is Here

Dean1700

For those of you that have the release (and have listened to it) already, what's the situation with the "Peabody Barn / Marty Ditches DeLorean" cue?

I'm of the opinion that there's three pieces of music that make up this cue?

1) - When Marty originally 'crash-lands' in the barn.

2) - When Marty smashes through the barn in the DeLorean, trying to escape ("YOU SPACE B*****D! :eek2: ") This is a great play on the main theme.

3) - When Marty stops to look at the new housing development.

Are these three pieces joined ok? ;)

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) - When Marty smashes through the barn in the DeLorean, trying to escape ("YOU SPACE B*****D! ;) ") This is a great play on the main theme.

Actually, it's, "YOU MUTATED SONOFAB****!" Get your expletives right, whydoncha? :D

- Uni

2) - When Marty smashes through the barn in the DeLorean, trying to escape ("YOU SPACE B*****D! ;) ") This is a great play on the main theme.

Actually, it's, "YOU MUTATED SONOFAB****!" Get your expletives right, whydoncha? :D

- Uni

I know that, but the other one sounds funnier.

My copy has just been sitting here on my desk. It's still so surreal to me, I'm having trouble bringing myself to open it!

Saturday I opened mine right away and immediately put it on iTunes because I was getting ready to leave the house and wanted to listen to it while I was driving.

This probably will be of zero assistance to anyone, but I just want to point out that if you've yet to buy "Mister Sandman" and are thinking of doing so, make sure it's the version from this album [EDIT: link]. There's at least one other Four Aces version out there that was not used in the film...I foolishly bought that one first.

Bastard? Bitch?

:blink::huh::unsure:;)

Haha, wow, I forgot the link. :lol: Good job, me! Anyway, I definitely prefer this version, the one that was used in the film. Better intro, and the instrumental parts are slightly different throughout.

Yep, that's the version I've got too. :)

Just finished my first listen of the new release and I loved it, as expected. Brilliant sound quality reminds me exactly why this is one of the top 20 great scores in cinema history - Silvestri was young, fresh and on FIRE when he wrote it. Makes me wish there was a sinister film composer farm somewhere on the outskirts of California, incubating new talent to order. Once ripened and potential is fully realised, the composer deposits his rich in inspiration produce before being disposed of to make way for the next highly anticipated talent - not given the time to mature into shit. A bit like John Debney.

Lee - really looking forward to the definitive chronological fan edit of BTTF, source music included. Hint hint :D

Lee - really looking forward to the definitive chronological fan edit of BTTF, source music included. Hint hint :D

On it's way. ;)

By the way last night I did a comparison between a real good sounding version of the promo boot that I had compared to Intrada's. I did not realize until last night, that the promo boot had pitch issues, through out the entire score. What I mean by good sounding was that someone I know managed to get a hold of the original promo cassette and do a new transfer of the score. So there wasn't any tape his reduction applied to it like previous versions of the promo boot. All though there was some tape hiss still there but that was unavoidable.

Luckily, apart from a couple clean openings and endings, there is absolutely NOTHING on the boot (or OST) that isn't on the Intrada set, yes?

I don't know about the boot, I threw mine away as soon as Intrada announced theirs.

Everything that is on the original soundtrack is on Intrada's release, aside from the songs of course.

Luckily, apart from a couple clean openings and endings, there is absolutely NOTHING on the boot (or OST) that isn't on the Intrada set, yet?

Everything that is on the boot is on the Intrada set. Of course we all know that the Intrada set has better sound quality...WAY better.

Of course.

I got a chance to listen yesterday while driving to and from work. It's great!

If I have any qualms, its that I am not a fan of having the source music placed chronological within the score. For me it totally disrupts the flow of the nice orchestral score with some wacky source music. I would have preferred all 3 source cues be placed together at the end of one of the discs.

I'll listen to the score often, but those source cues I will listen to maybe once every few years at most

If I have any qualms, its that I am not a fan of having the source music placed chronological within the score. For me it totally disrupts the flow of the nice orchestral score with some wacky source music. I would have preferred all 3 source cues be placed together at the end of one of the discs.

I completely agree about the source music. I too think it disrupts the listening flow of the score. Of course you can arrange it however you want now.

I think my SAE order has shipped.

You think?

My login at SAE said it shipped but the tracking number didn't work until today. So yesterday I thought, but today I know it shipped. Tomorrow I may receive it.

I think.

I too agree about the source music, to a point. There's quite a bit of incidental stuff on the release which doesn't interest me - most of it I'd never even noticed during the movie! But I do like the idea of having a chronological album with all of the memorable, key songs from the soundtrack. Earth Angel in particular is vital, since it is as much a part of the score and the story as Silvestri is.

Maybe it's the 80s thing, but while score collectors seem to shy away from anything but the actual score, there are some source tracks I can't do without, such as the BTTF songs. In the same way, GREMLINS just wouldn't feel the same without Darlene Love's 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)'.

Mine arrived today. Just handed the package to my mum with instructions to ensure it says 'Back to the future' on the cover. Not that I don't trust the hamsters of course... :D

As for the songs, I will include both Huey Lewis songs, Johnny Be Good and the one that leads into Tension/Kiss if that's not already on here (I'm not sure what Marvin Be-bop refers to). I consider those 4 integral to the fabric of the movie as much as the score.

I actually have the song album on CD, but only because a Virgin/HMV back at uni had a single copy for absolutely ages, and I decided to relieve them of it when the price went down to £5.

I'll probably just leave the original album as is on iTunes.

I don't mind songs if they are written especially for a film. But if they are previously written songs then I don't add them because odds are that if I like it I have the actual album it was released on or I don't like the song(s).

*******EDIT*****************

Actually I take that back, there are some songs written for films that are awful and I will not add them to iTunes.

I definitely won't be leaving the album as-is. That's not to say I don't like what Intrada's done - though I haven't taken a listen yet, I'm sure I will be most pleased with their approach. (Well, it'd be cool to have the clean endings and openings of all the cues, but no biggie.) But I'm definitely going to throw in "The Power of Love", "Mister Sandman", "Night Train", "Earth Angel", and "Johnny B. Goode" (the film version). I might omit some of the source cues included in the Intrada release...we'll see...oh, and I'm going to edit "Doc Returns" so it segues into "Back in Time." I know, I know, combining an orchestral cue with a song like that is just terrible, but it was written for the film, ostensibly with that transition in mind. Better than just popping "Back in Time" in right afterward as a separate track...then I have to hear each component of the transition separately. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having both components, but in terms of album listening experience, I'd rather combine them as intended.

Yippee! Got an email confirming BTTF order was fulfilled, and my order status shows status "Billed", and under shipping shows "actual" of 12-2-09. I think mine's on the way!:D

I'm going to edit "Doc Returns" so it segues into "Back in Time." I know, I know, combining an orchestral cue with a song like that is just terrible, but it was written for the film, ostensibly with that transition in mind. Better than just popping "Back in Time" in right afterward as a separate track...then I have to hear each component of the transition separately. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having both components, but in terms of album listening experience, I'd rather combine them as intended.

I did that with the boot, except I used DVD audio for the actual transition because the 'whoooooosh' of the delorean sounds so damn cool. I'll do it with this set although I won't include the whooosh so might have to increase the volume of the very end a tad.

I'm happy that Intrada presented the cue with a clean finish as it gives us the option. In fact, I think there would be some angry listeners if they had combined them.

Considering the fact that 160 gigs is a truly epic size to try and fill with just music, I plan to create a folder for Intrada BTTF CD 1, one for Intrada BTTF CD 2, and then a folder combining the complete score with the songs, plus Mister Sandman, in chronological order, with the two OST instrumentals tacked on. That will obliterate the need for a distinct BTTF OST album folder.

There isn't really a single bad song on that album, and I think already have them distributed into my classic rock folders anyways, like Eric Clapton and Huey Lewis.

Actually I take that back, there are some songs written for films that are awful and will not add them to iTunes.

You just remembered Uhura's fan dance, didn't you.

That and Jedi Rocks...... :D

Actually I take that back, there are some songs written for films that are awful and will not add them to iTunes.

That and Jedi Rocks...... :D

At least with J*** R**** you can go with the assumption that the SEs only really happened in an alternate timeline. It's the one thing I left off my ROTJ edit, which has two versions of Lapti Nek.

I would rather listen to My Heart Will Go On ten times in a row than Jedi Rocks once.

I actually like that song.

I also left that off as well. Just didn't think it was a good song.

Actually, I like "The Moon's a Window to Heaven"... *whistles*

But I'm definitely going to throw in "The Power of Love", "Mister Sandman", "Night Train", "Earth Angel", and "Johnny B. Goode" (the film version). I might omit some of the source cues included in the Intrada release...we'll see...oh, and I'm going to edit "Doc Returns" so it segues into "Back in Time."

I've pretty much settled on the same picks. Not sure if I want to bother editing the ending though.

And I rather like the Clapton song, just not listening to it at that point in the soundtrack.

I enjoy "Jedi Rocks."

Weirdo.

Well, my SAE order has a tracking number, but it still says pending and USPS says the tracking number doesn't exist. I think I'm pushing my hopes back to next week. I wonder what'll come first, this or the big order I did a LaLa yesterday?

That happened to me. The SAE account said Pending, the USPS tracking number didn't exist, and I didn't get an email.

Today, the tracking number says this:

Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on December 2, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Oh well. I've had The Blue Box for two months without listening to it, so what makes me think I'll listen to BTTF before 2010...