Back To The Future is Here

Dean1700

I just ordered my copy of BTTF from SAE but I may not see it before xmas because it takes a long time for anything to get to Australia. But at least I have it coming. I was very tempted to also get the 2 disc The Fugitive as well but I thought "Nah. Back To The Future is the one I want NOW"!

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just the End Credits piece. Just bookend it like Williams does.

What, and become a hack album producer like him? :P

I could swear the one on my...old copy was a different arrangement, I haven't listened again yet to check.

My 'old copy' of Back To The Future has "Back To The Future Main Theme" & "Back To The Future End Titles". They are both identical.

Of course the movie version of the credits is edited at the beginning and end.

Anyone want a SAE fridge magnet? I got a second one with BttF.

What criteria does SAE use to send magnets? I have received only two, the stack of books and the composer (Korngold, Barry, Mancini, Jarre), but those were several months ago. It doesn't seem based on size of shipments, because my penultimate shipment included The Blue Box but no magnet. I'm not complaining, because my fridge has enough magnets.

I actually don't like this release too much. Each track is like a minute long. The only one I find myself returning to is "It's Been Educational/Clocktower."

If I remember correctly, the film does not include many "long" sections of score. There's a snippet here, a snippet there, a source song or two, and a lot of silence. To "sew" the cues together into longer tracks would conflict with the film representation of the score.

Additionally, you could always rip the entire score into a ~40 minute super-track. :P

What criteria does SAE use to send magnets? I have received only two, the stack of books and the composer (Korngold, Barry, Mancini, Jarre), but those were several months ago. It doesn't seem based on size of shipments, because my penultimate shipment included The Blue Box but no magnet. I'm not complaining, because my fridge has enough magnets.

Hmm. I have at least twelve so far... I thought they put them in every package (and at times - accidentally I guess - two).

For those of you that have Back To The Future already, what's the difference between the two "Skateboard Chase" tracks?

And nobody say 1 second. ;)

Presumably the CD 1 version has the opening hit as heard in the film? This has always seemed like an insert to me, does anyone know if it was? The "Skateboard Chase" track on the footwarmer didn't include it, so it's either an insert or the footwarmer has the alternate version rather than the film version.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Also, the first (unused) track, "Logo", what's this like? Is it a fanfare of the main theme or what? Tell me!!!! :P

For those of you that have Back To The Future already, what's the difference between the two "Skateboard Chase" tracks?

What's heard on Disc 1 is the film version. What's heard on Disc 2 is the early alternate, very similar to what the Debney re-recording is. After all the re-recordings were primarily based off the early versions.

All though there was definitely some editing done to the cues late in the sessions. The opening hit heard on Disc 1 (and in the film) should be the opening for what's on Disc 2 and vice versa. It's a real good edit for Disc 1 but the edit is painfully obvious on Disc 2. There is no way to correct it on Disc 2 if you want to do so.

Also, the first (unused) track, "Logo", what's this like? Is it a fanfare of the main theme or what? Tell me!!!! :P

The unused "Logo" is a cool short piece. It was originally intended to score when the film opens up and we see the Back To The Future logo come onto the screen. However it was decided to be dropped and replaced by the sound of ticking clocks.

Hope this answers your questions.

Hmm. I have at least twelve so far... I thought they put them in every package (and at times - accidentally I guess - two).

I thought they only sent them if you had ordered a FSM release but my last order had two and nothing in it was FSM related.

I think they just hand them in out in various orders and it may also depend on the number of magnets they actually have.

What's heard on Disc 1 is the film version. What's heard on Disc 2 is the early alternate, very similar to what the Debney re-recording is. After all the re-recordings were primarily based off the early versions.

All though there was definitely some editing done to the cues late in the sessions. The opening hit heard on Disc 1 (and in the film) should be the opening for what's on Disc 2 and vice versa. It's a real good edit for Disc 1 but the edit is painfully obvious on Disc 2. There is no way to correct it on Disc 2 if you want to do so.

The unused "Logo" is a cool short piece. It was originally intended to score when the film opens up and we see the Back To The Future logo come onto the screen. However it was decided to be dropped and replaced by the sound of ticking clocks.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks Trent, I appreciate that. ;)

It starts out quietly with that five-note melody from the beginning of "4x4", except played on flute instead of horn. Then the oboe joins it briefly. Finally, the main theme enters loudly and quickly, in a style somewhat similar to the opening of the end credits piece, but with the final sus2 chord being dragged out dramatically for a moment. The whole thing definitely screams "opening logo."

1 second.

As far as the magnets go, I always thought it was just random. Like Mark said I thought the FSM ones were just with FSM orders (I got my two with Twilight Zone and Trek II), but I guess not.

Also, the first (unused) track, "Logo", what's this like? Is it a fanfare of the main theme or what? Tell me!!!! :D

It starts out quietly with that five-note melody from the beginning of "4x4", except played on flute instead of horn. Then the oboe joins it briefly. Finally, the main theme enters loudly and quickly, in a style somewhat similar to the opening of the end credits piece, but with the final sus2 chord being dragged out dramatically for a moment. The whole thing definitely screams "opening logo."

Ace! Can't wait to hear it! :D I might use it as a (very short) Overture. :)

1 second.

That's funny, I could've sworn I said "Nobody say 1 second" earlier on..... :P

I'm hoping this and Lee Holdridge will arrive tomorrow!

Lee Holdridge is coming over? Have him do a quick rendition of Beastmaster for you on your piano. Y'know, just to say that he did.

- Uni

I thought they only sent them if you had ordered a FSM release but my last order had two and nothing in it was FSM related.

I thought that only applied to the composers collector's cards? (When they still had any)

I like the film version. It's an awesome couple of cues. I haven't listened to the early alternate often enough to be able to judge it too well, but it's still quite good. I'm not a fan of the use of electric pianos in it, for starters.

I usually burn them

I received an SAE magnet that has Gary Cooper on it. Every now and then, I look over to the filing cabinet next to my desk where the magnet is stuck, and I wonder what the heck it's a reference to, scorewise. :P

This finally arrived and it's definitely worth the wait, Mike Matessino's liner notes are superb (as usual) and the overall presentation of the score is flawless (I do skip the source tracks though!)

The alternates are such a great bonus too, haven't had a chance to listen to CD2, plan to on the way home tonight!

Good to see our very own Neil involved too!

Thanks Intrada!

Lee Holdridge's In Search Of Peace is a beautiful score by the way, highly recommended!

I usually burn them

I received an SAE magnet that has Gary Cooper on it. Every now and then, I look over to the filing cabinet next to my desk where the magnet is stuck, and I wonder what the heck it's a reference to, scorewise. ;)

Super duper?

I fibbed, I actually have three magnets. This one I forgot about has a collage of four black and white stills of actors from old movies that I never saw.

Well, SAE have just put on their website that they will be receiving more Back To The Future pressings by the end of December which basically told me I won't be seeing mine until sometime in the new year. Crap. :lol:

Hahaha...nah, it's a short flight...so short that the ascent and descent (during which iPods aren't allowed) constitute probably a third of the flight. :lol: So really, I'll only have enough time for one score, I think. It'll probably be TWOK...I've listened to the excellent BTTF more recently, for obvious reasons.

Got it last night! What can I say that hasn't already been said? Great score, great presentation, love the work by our old friend Michael Matessino.

There's really nothing like holding in your hands a score that you've been searching for, waiting for, trying to acquire by any means possible, for the past twenty years. . . .

- Uni

Got it last night! What can I say that hasn't already been said? Great score, great presentation, love the work by our old friend Michael Matessino.

There's really nothing like holding in your hands a score that you've been searching for, waiting for, trying to acquire by any means possible, for the past twenty years. . . .

- Uni

I wouldn't know. I'm still waiting for my friggin copy. They say it has been shipped. :(

I've had the BTTF theme going through my head for the entire day. Such a wonderfully versatile motif.

Suffice it to say I think this is a great release, and the sound quality is fantastic.

I'll probably agree when I eventually get mine!

I've had the BTTF theme going through my head for the entire day. Such a wonderfully versatile motif.

Suffice it to say I think this is a great release, and the sound quality is fantastic.

At least I'm not the only one still waiting. My copy was shipped out on December 23. I reckon I should have it by the end of the 1st week in January.

I like to think many, many themes or motifs could be wonderfully versatile, in the right hands.

At least I'm not the only one still waiting. My copy was shipped out on December 23. I reckon I should have it by the end of the 1st week in January.

I hoping for the same. ;) The race is on! ;)

Quite right, Trent. However, here's something I realized. I thought I had heard that piece before...and I have. If anyone out there has a copy of Back To The The Future on DVD (the new 2 disc set, not the old one), go and watch the "Back To The Future Night" doc with Leslie Nielsen. That Logo cue is used in the part of the show when Nielsen says something like, "let's begin! Back To The Future. See you in the movies." or something like that. Tell me that isn't the Logo cue! Albeit, not the whole cue, but the tail end of it at least. It's been sitting under our noses for twenty years and we never knew it! Haha!

It's arrived! ;)

As for the un-used "Logo" cue, I think the film would have worked better with this left in. It's only a very short piece, and the ticking clocks still could've been used once "Logo" had finished. ;)

Nah, I like the film starting the way it is. That slow build up to the eventual boom from Marty's guitar totally sets the mood for the movie. Plus, the theme has such a great introduction during the mall chase, it would have been a shame to waste it, regardless of how nice of a piece it is.

As much as I like having the logo, I think the film works better without it. There's something very interesting how it procrastinates on using orchestral scoring all the way till the DeLorean (and thus the real beginnings of the plot) is revealed, and the main theme isn't REALLY heard for another...what, five or ten minutes?

Speaking of the main theme, what do you guys think it represents in the first Back To The Future film? :)

At first I thought of Doc, but then I realised that the music associated with him is actually those fittingly manic and eccentric pieces, as heard in "Einstein Disintegrated" and "1.21 Jigowatts". ;)

Then I thought of Marty, but that doesn't really fit either. For Marty, the pop music is more suitable, given his age.

So what about Biff? Nah, those dark(ish) undertones in "Skateboard Chase" and "George To The Rescue" are for him.

Loraine? No. George? No. Anyone else? No!

My conclusion is: The DeLorean Time Machine itself! Think about it, whenever the main theme is used in it's full orchestral glory, the car is in the scene. Surely not just a coincidence? Whenever I hear the theme, I can always picture the car flying (literally!) along! ;)

What do you guys think?

PS - I'm not trying to start any arguements about the music/film here, I just want to know what other people think and what their opinions are. Personally, the main theme is in my top 5 favourites of all time. It's awesome! :D

I agree - the lack of score of any sort until the DeLorean is revealed is a powerful thing IMO. Strengthens the idea that when first watching the film, you have no idea the direction it's going in.

I actually hoped the logo would be one of Universal's earlier cues (such as Horner's one), so I could legitimately own it (outside of the Apollo 13 and The Mummy boots), but it's nice to have what Silvestri originally wrote.