Back To The Future is Here

Dean1700

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it has that Frateli brothers chase that is ok and a few minutes cool pirate music when they get in the ship...but that's about it

but then again,by today's film music standards these are all masterpieces

yes,AotC is much better . All post 1970 unreleased Williams scores are better than BttF (or anything silvestri ever composed)

Thank you for having such unique and wonderful opinions, posting them in public, and standing by them. Your pride in original thinking make the Internet a far more interesting place.

oh I'm sure some JWfans agree .If Miguel posted the same thing nobody would question his opinion

People keep making the false assumption I only listen to JW and not other composers.

I think this certainly deserves its own thread. There's a line somewhere between score releases that are big deals and ones that are not- a vague, fluctuating line. But this one is definitely in the 'deserves its own thread' category.

Morlock- not a particularly big fan of the score, but someone who understands the gravity of the release.

I will reserve final judgement until I get the CD, but if I had to make a decision now, I'd agree with KM that AotC is the better score. BTTF is good, but I think the fact that it has been unreleased for so long has stretched a solid score into a masterpiece for many (not all).

There is a remote chance that because 1)most of the music never grabbed me in the film, 2)I haven't listened to the BttF boot more than once and 3)I find the BttF 2 and 3 complete scores to be tedious to listen to ,that I may overlooking something?

For those that ordered and haven't received any shipping confirmation, here is a post from Doug:

Okay. Here's the part where the hamsters cry "mercy"!

If you ordered BACK TO THE FUTURE before the temporarily sold out posting... please don't worry. Your order is being processed and you needn't call or write to inquire whether your order was received. Between Thanksgiving tomorrow, the high volume of sales and the fact that both our new titles sold out immediately, my hamsters have more work cut out for them than normal. So hang in there and give us a few extra days to get everything to you. We'll deliver the goods, I promise. (We'll keep at least three hamsters running in the treadwheels while the activity is high.)

Now. If you placed an order after the notice went up, you'll still get a copy as soon as the new batch arrives. So there's still no need to panic. Our system is pretty robust and keeps track of every order.

We haven't hit our maximum allowable units yet, so we've got more coming... albeit at this rate, running out at some point is very likely. But that probably won't happen this year so order with confidence and let the hamsters do their thing. I'll clean up the pellets afterwards.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.I/id.10/.f?category=-102

Maxxie, don't you dislike all Star Wars? Have you even heard AOTC? (not a defence of AOTC, genuine questions).

No, I don't hate it anymore. The whole franchise has certainly grown on me (especially since that Williams concert here in the UK). Still not a patch on Star Trek though! :angry:

Yeah I've heard AOTC, but I don't like it as much as BTTF.

Perhaps my first statemant was a bit strong, but unless the music's been composed, conducted, compiled and copyrighted by John Williams, KM just doesn't want to know!

were you even born in 1985?

What's that got to do with anything? I was born in 1988, which makes me a pretty well-humoured (sometimes) 21 year old. ;)

Just because I wasn't born the year the film/music was released doesn't mean I can't like/love it! I love Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but I wasn't born when that was released either.....

What a desolate world it would be if we could only really enjoy and connect with films and scores that were made after the year of our birth!

You imply that the first opportunity to see it must be in the theater, or to hear it must be on 30 minute long record, adds more value than seeing it on a different medium decades later.

Peawit.

............................................________........................

....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................

.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............

.........................,/...............................................”:,........

.....................,?......................................................\,.....

.................../...........................................................,}....

................./......................................................,:`^`..}....

.............../...................................................,:”........./.....

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....

............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........

.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........

..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........

...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............

...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............

............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................

.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........

,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....

.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................

...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................

................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......

........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............

...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

For those that ordered and haven't received any shipping confirmation, here is a post from Doug:

Okay. Here's the part where the hamsters cry "mercy"!

If you ordered BACK TO THE FUTURE before the temporarily sold out posting... please don't worry. Your order is being processed and you needn't call or write to inquire whether your order was received. Between Thanksgiving tomorrow, the high volume of sales and the fact that both our new titles sold out immediately, my hamsters have more work cut out for them than normal. So hang in there and give us a few extra days to get everything to you. We'll deliver the goods, I promise. (We'll keep at least three hamsters running in the treadwheels while the activity is high.)

Now. If you placed an order after the notice went up, you'll still get a copy as soon as the new batch arrives. So there's still no need to panic. Our system is pretty robust and keeps track of every order.

We haven't hit our maximum allowable units yet, so we've got more coming... albeit at this rate, running out at some point is very likely. But that probably won't happen this year so order with confidence and let the hamsters do their thing. I'll clean up the pellets afterwards.

http://store.intrada...f?category=-102

Thank you very much for the info!

I must concede that even if i like all BTTF scores and movies very much,

when i heard them on CD, i noticed how many repeated music there is in part 1 and re-hased music in part 2 and 3. (3's main theme rework is amazingly cool though).

Specially part 2 is lazy, it is no more than a Superman 2. But with the agravatting fact that it was a Silvestri score, no other composer arranging his music.

I know where the holygrainess of this comes, but objectively once must say that it is a little irrational, or 'of the heart'.

BTTF is a very repetitive score, but a fine one at that. BTTF 2's problem as a score is that it is, as far as I remember, nothing but more of the same, but performed without much spirit and poorly recorded.

(The movie, on the other hand, is brilliant *because* it's just more of the same, but multiple times at once... in its very special own way, it's kind of the best sequel ever made)

I totally agree! The first score does repeat itself, but just enough to make it enjoyable, imo. However, the score for Part 2 is hard to listen for the exaggerated amounts of repeat (I think we hear the same renditions of the same music maybe 6 or 7 times at least, no joke, at least in its complete form). And Part 3 is just good in parts, but at least is different.

But yeah, as for Part 2 being one of the best sequels ever, I agree! It is a bit darker, funnier, and goes back to the first movie with the exact same events from a different angle. It was a pretty brave thing for a sequel to such a successful movie to do, and I know not everyone likes it very much. But that was probably why they followed it with the much more formulaic Part 3, which is also enjoyable, but not nearly as original as Part 2 was. I don't think there is any film like it that was made before it or since.

I'll have 5 with one being tossed in the trash now.

I tossed my b**t in the trash the night it was announced. :angry:

I find Ghostbusters is a bit overrated, it's good but has never blown me away. BttF I did find overrated for a while, but after finally getting the movie on DVD and listening to it more I've found that it really is as good as the hype. I'm with Marc also on II, it's a solid listen, I love the main title extensions.

John- who doesn't own the OST and has no interest in mixing the songs in

I find the 2nd and 3rd scores pretty dull. Silvestri's very percussive-based, *bang*..*smash* approach far outstays its welcome. I'd say I enjoy perhaps 30 minutes from each complete score.

First score, while not one of my grails, is still one I enjoy, and I've seen the film enough times (and I can still watch it - easily in my top 3 films of all time) that I can connect the music and visuals well.

And AotC better than BTTF? Hahahahahaha. Hehehe. One day your childish fanboyism will wear off Mark.

:angry:

To me this soundtrack is definitely a "holy grail" kind of thing, because a) I just LOVE the whole trilogy, and b) The MCA-release was the very first CD that I've ever bought, so it IS something very special to me.

And regarding the score itself, I think it contributed about 50% to the movies successs, because although the movie doesn't look too big or epic, the score makes it feel that way.

I find the 2nd and 3rd scores pretty dull. Silvestri's very percussive-based, *bang*..*smash* approach far outstays its welcome. I'd say I enjoy perhaps 30 minutes from each complete score.

There are some great moments in Part II, but to my ears it generally sounds like his score to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, only not as good. Part III is a better score.

I believe Silvestri had mentioned in an interview that BTTF 2's score turned out the way it did because Zemeckis left him alone and was too busy working on BTTF 3. There wasn't a whole lot of communication between them.

I think the score to part 2 is the weakest but part 3 is pretty damn good.

I love all three scores, especially the you know what's for Parts 2 and 3. It's going to be nice listening to all three in a row next week. :angry:

Also in defense of Part 2...I find the you know what version to be a lot more helpful in terms of listening quality. A lot of the unreleased material really flesh the score out in my opinion.

And AotC better than BTTF? Hahahahahaha. Hehehe. One day your childish fanboyism will wear off Mark.

:angry:

For God's sake, must you grace us with your insightful comments whenever someone says they prefer a JW score over a non-JW score?

Yeah, as excited as I am about getting the complete film score of BTTF 1 officially on CD in great sound quality, I am actually more interested to hear this 2nd CD of the original version!!! Maybe it is because I have heard the score apart from the film via this "other way" some people here have mentioned, but I just loved what I heard from the 3 sound clips of this alternate version. It's pretty much a full length score! I find it interesting that perhaps some tracks he didn't change at all from the beginning. Example: Disc 1 has the "'85 Twin Pines Mall" track, but Disc 2 does not, and yet Disc 1 and 2 both have their own long "Clocktower" tracks. So I guess certain tracks retained their use from the beginning, or maybe the alternate simply wasn't different enough.

I prefer a lot of JW scores over Back To The Future, and an infinite amount from other composers. It is an overrated score, but a good one nonetheless, probably even great. Does that mean something's wrong with me? No, it just means I have different tastes. KM's in love with John Williams, Trent is in love with David Arnold, Mark O. is in love with Jerry Goldsmith, I'm in love with Hans Zimmer... we all have our preferences.

Well, I do. And I do enjoy BTTF quite a bit, although I do agree it is a slightly overrated score, due to the popularity of the movie, a very catchy main theme and its (now lost) status as holy grail release.

Say what you like. Mock me if you will. This score has been near the top of my Grail list for years now, and I'm beside myself with the prospect of finally having the whole thing in my hands. The main theme is a classic, yes (for one thing, it's easily able to handle the limitless repetitions through all three installments); but even with the strength of the central theme, it would've gotten old if that's all there had been. It's the rest of the score that balances the whole thing out. I find it interesting that no one's mentioned the other music yet, the suite from the original MCA release. The poignant string interlude (when Marty believes the Doc is dead, then he wakes up) is some of the finest music Silvestri ever penned. Of course, we've had that for years, but now it won't be mixed in with the clock tower action bit--not that there was anything wrong with that sequence, either.

Can't wait to get it. . . !

- Scott

Oh, and I'd like to thank KM for not closing this thread. I don't even know where the Intrada thread, or board, or whatever is; I might never have known about this otherwise. :)

- Scott

Oh, and I'd like to thank KM for not closing this thread. I don't even know where the Intrada thread, or board, or whatever is; I might never have known about this otherwise. :)

- Scott

You mean Breathmask and Neil (they're the mods)? Ya..regret now that I said what I did earlier, this definitely needed it's own away from the Intrada thread.

Now this is starting to feel like JWfan...I was getting worried, going so long without someone belittling another's musical tastes! :)

But in all seriousness, yes, BTTF is a fairly repetitive score, and when you consider Part II with it, it becomes very repetitive. But I enjoy just about every individual second of it, and that's no mean feat. The main theme is utterly brilliant - I knew it the first time I heard it, and it hasn't gotten old for me yet. It was really my first Silvestri score, and the quirky, percussive music that I later heard in a lot of his work will nevertheless always scream BTTF to me. The more tender passages are gorgeous, too. I think this is truly a case of a film that's already great on its own being elevated to an even higher level by an excellent score.

And frankly, yes, I also would probably be a bit more excited if a complete, cue-by-cue, unedited (i.e. not UE-like) release of AOTC were announced. It's a long score with a lot of material that I really enjoy, despite the fact that there are other Williams scores I prefer. If enjoying a Williams score that doesn't fit your tastes makes me a hopeless, indiscriminate fanboy...well, call me what you will, but I can tell you firsthand that mine is not too unpleasant a fate, and I can't blame you for envying my pathetic ignorance. XD

But in all seriousness, yes, BTTF is a fairly repetitive score, and when you consider Part II with it, it becomes very repetitive. But I enjoy just about every individual second of it, and that's no mean feat. The main theme is utterly brilliant - I knew it the first time I heard it, and it hasn't gotten old for me yet.

You just hit on the key to the whole thing, I think. That's what really makes this a score that can compete with some of Williams' classics, and for the same reason: you just never get tired of hearing the central motif, no matter how many times he goes back to it. What was (and remains) true about Star Wars, Superman, Jaws, the Indiana Jones films, and so on can be said about BTTF--and there are not too many non-Williams scores you can say that about. (I don't need a list of examples proving me wrong; I know full well there are, in fact, other scores that qualify. I'm just making a general statement here.)

- Scott

I prefer a lot of JW scores over Back To The Future, and an infinite amount from other composers. It is an overrated score, but a good one nonetheless, probably even great. Does that mean something's wrong with me? No, it just means I have different tastes. KM's in love with John Williams, Trent is in love with David Arnold, Mark O. is in love with Jerry Goldsmith, I'm in love with Hans Zimmer... we all have our preferences.

Your preference is wrong, though.